Root Question...

Dolfan

Reaction score
I just pulled my battery...funny thing is...my phone still says s-off...but when it reboots it wants to load the download file again...which I say no to...lol...I dont know

drew

Reaction score
I'm confused - did the Revolutionary Bootloader install correctly? You have S-OFF, so you should be able to boot into recovery, flash a different ROM and be on your way. After that, you should be able to clean up old image files.

Let me know what I'm missing here. (I just read it quickly)

Dolfan

Reaction score
its says I have s-off.....so I quess what I need to do is...load another rom on my scard and let it boot and load that as the update it is asking me to update to....OMG....lol...I dont have time to try that right now but it sounds like if I load a rom of my choice now onto my scard and rename it PG05IMG it probably would load that...

Dolfan

Reaction score
I don't seem to have the recovery part loaded....the part in the revolution video where it boots to revolutionary recovery...my.try to.automatically load the downgrade file all over...so I'm missing something there..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
I don't seem to have the recovery part loaded....the part in the revolution video where it boots to revolutionary recovery...my.try to.automatically load the downgrade file all over...so I'm missing something there..

I finally got mine to work!! Here's what I did: I ended up having download the downgrade zip 3 different times. The 3rd time it worked for some reason. Like you tho I got stuck on it trying to load the same file. I just rebooted the phone, turned on airplane mode as soon as I could, mounted drive again & deleted the downgrade zip off the sd card. Then started the revolutionary process over... Worked like charm

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Here's my next n00b question: do I want to install the new OTA update from vzw now that I'm rooted?? Or do I need to install the upgraded radio??

Dolfan

Reaction score
Im not sure...see I had s-off and took the upgrade and didnt know I still had s-off...well now I have worked thru the rooting process even having the newest OTA...
So I did get thru the root process...I had to rename the downgrade file and or delete it, I also was missing the SU file(super user) flashed that and I am now rooted..I also did a back up of my Stock TBolt Rom...I prolly wont have alot of time till this weekend to mess with trying out some of the roms out there, if you do try any, let me know what you think...Back up your rom first thu...so if you have any trouble you can reflash the stock rom..

Dolfan

Reaction score
Hey....I was wondering...to access recovery do we have to pull the battery each time..? That is a pain in the nuts...is there a push button combination to get in?

drew

Reaction score
Did you try holding Volume Up and Power when powering on? (Since you're rooted now, you might want to change your signature)

From my perspective, the ROMs available are lacking compared to other phones. I've been running BAMF Cubed for about 5 months now. There's a stable CM7 if you want AOSP. There's quite a few good debloated Sense ROMs as well. It's all personal preference, and trial / error.

Hey....I was wondering...to access recovery do we have to pull the battery each time..? That is a pain in the nuts...is there a push button combination to get in?

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
What are these debloated sense ROMs you would recommend??

Also, when I am using ROM manager, as long as I flash clockworkmod recovery, that saves my current ROM? Then I can download a different ROM & boot the new one up, but still get to my stock ROM I backed up if needed?? Sorry, I'm a n00b

Thanks

Did you try holding Volume Up and Power when powering on? (Since you're rooted now, you might want to change your signature)

From my perspective, the ROMs available are lacking compared to other phones. I've been running BAMF Cubed for about 5 months now. There's a stable CM7 if you want AOSP. There's quite a few good debloated Sense ROMs as well. It's all personal preference, and trial / error.

drew

Reaction score
Flashing CWM doesn't save the ROM. In ROM Manager, you can use Backup Current ROM. (Or you can do that from recovery). Do either method prior to flashing any ROMS.

Then if anything happens, you can restore from either ROM Manager or CWM.

The TeamBAMF ROMs have had positive feedback. Cubed as well. Like i said..it's is very much trial / error. I liked the Liquid ROM, but it had this annoying habit of asking me if I wanted to use Wi-Fi, so I switched to the BAMF Cubed.

What are these debloated sense ROMs you would recommend??

Also, when I am using ROM manager, as long as I flash clockworkmod recovery, that saves my current ROM? Then I can download a different ROM & boot the new one up, but still get to my stock ROM I backed up if needed?? Sorry, I'm a n00b

Thanks

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Great thanks, glad I asked before I did anything. Are there any Roms that run sense 3.0? I really don't mind sense but don't want all the bloat.

Another question, now that I'm rooted do I want to allow the OTA update? Or will that ruin my root?

drew

Reaction score
The ROM section might have your answer for you. I don't know if there are any Sense 3.0 ROMs. Most of the ROMs remove the bloat (Blockbuster, Let's Golf, etc) regardless of Sense / AOSP. Why don't you give CM7 a shot?

OTA puts you into a tailspin, b/c you changed the bootloader. It confuses the OTA.

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Good to know, I found on thunderboltforums the link to the .9 update so I might just run that. They also have a nice, organized list of ROMs including some Sense 3.0 ones. I would try CM7 but I have that on my Touchpad & want something different, thanks though!

The ROM section might have your answer for you. I don't know if there are any Sense 3.0 ROMs. Most of the ROMs remove the bloat (Blockbuster, Let's Golf, etc) regardless of Sense / AOSP. Why don't you give CM7 a shot?

OTA puts you into a tailspin, b/c you changed the bootloader. It confuses the OTA.

Dolfan

Reaction score

Good point...Got the sig changed...lol