Help with First time root for stock Incredible 2?

Crimsondawn427

Reaction score
Hey guys :)
I have a stock droid incredible 2 that I want to root but im a noob and not completely sure how to correctly without bricking my phone.
I've searched these forums and others and have seen multiple methods but it was not for a stock incredible 2 and I wanna be sure i do it correctly.
Can anyone of you give me an easy step by step on how to root my phone? Your help is much appreciated! :)

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Ok so first of all, you need to download the Android sdk on your computer. HTC just allowed the bootloader of the the incredible 2 to be unlocked. So personally i would rather unlock the bootloader through them than trying to downgrade to 2.3.3 and use revolutionary. Once you get the bootloader unlocked, you are going to have to download clockwork recovery on your computer and flash it with the fastboot and adb programs you will get when the sdk is downloaded. Once you are able to run clockwork recovery on your phone, you can install superuser with it which equals root. You can download clockwork and superuser and find a couple of really educational guides on xda developers. Good luck!

OP
Crimsondawn427

Crimsondawn427

Reaction score
All the clockwork recoverys that I tried to download have said invalid and how do I unlock bootloader?

Dunnski21

Reaction score
All the clockwork recoverys that I tried to download have said invalid and how do I unlock bootloader?

Where are you getting the recovery and where are you downloading it? This is the one I downloaded after unlocking the bootloader: [RECOVERY] [6/21/11] ClockworkMod Recovery - xda-developers. But first visit Welcome to HTCdev, register and begin the unlock process. Be warned though that if you unlock the bootloader through them the phone goes through a factory data reset, so download some text and call history backup apps too. Htc dev will give you detailed instructions on how to unlock the bootloader. Once you do that the XDA link should be all you need to flash clockwork.

OP
Crimsondawn427

Crimsondawn427

Reaction score
Is unlocking the bootloader safe or is it easy to mess up my droid? and I unzipped the revolutinary.exe and when i opened it it says "the program can not start because adbwinapi.dll is missing from your computer." Not sure exactly what that means and why it isnt working

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Unlocking the bootloader is completely safe through HTC's website. The instructions are thorough and easy to follow. You will lose your data though so use apps to backup call history and text messages if there is anything you need on the phone. As far as your error with revolutionary, it sounds like it can't find adb in the android sdk perhaps. adb is located in the platform-tools folder of the sdk. Good luck!

OP
Crimsondawn427

Crimsondawn427

Reaction score
im sorry for all the questions, i only rooted one phone...my first droid incredible and I didnt do it this way and dont remember how I did it but....after I unlock the bootloader. what custom os will i have or do i have to get one?

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Once the bootloader is unlocked you just have the stock 2.3.4 Rom that comes with the phone. All unlocking the bootloader does is allow you to flash things through fastboot mode (like recoveries, kernels, roms, etc.) So if you want root, unlock the bootloader, flash clockwork recovery through fastboot and install superuser through clockwork recovery. This will leave you with a rooted stock Rom.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
And once you get it rooted make a backup of it stock before Modding ANYTHING ...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

twinmommy517

Reaction score
I'm a noob to this as well. I watched my husband and his brother root their nooks and now i finally want to do my phone. when you said dl apps to back your files up, which apps would be best to do that. And would I have to back up all my photos and videos as well?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
When they said do a backup they don't mean the apps, they are referring to the operating system. As soon as you root you install a recovery program for your phone. There are three that I know of for the Dinc2: raid zero recovery (RZR), clockwork mod (CWM), and 4EXT recovery. They have an option to do a nandroid backup. This backup gives you a restart point in case you flash a ROM and something doesn't go right. Don't let that scare you away, it happens to everyone at some point. When that happens, you go into recovery and flash one of your backups and you are up and running within ten minutes. If you have any more questions, please let us know. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2!