Anyone waiting for a better deal on the Nexus?

ice456789

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time I've gone through this phone hype in 4 months. When the Bionic came out, I was actually travelling and couldn't buy one until the next week. The good news was that there were WAY better deals than what Verizon was offering at their corp stores by then. Costco had it at almost full price but threw in a ton of really good accessories, and Radio Shack sold it for $100 off. Not to mention anyone signing up for new service could get it dirt cheap online. I bought from the shack (and returned it 13 days later). Back to rockin my D1.

So is anyone here going to wait just a couple days to see if a reseller sweetens the deal? If Costco doesn't have it on the 9th, I'm sure they'll have it on Monday probably with the same kind of deal they had with the Bionic. Would it be worth a 3 day wait if you get the car dock, spare battery + charging dock, and case all for the same price???

nleksan

Reaction score
I wish I could, but my OG Droid is on its last legs and I can't deal with 5-10+ crashes PER DAY and the five-times-a-day charging anymore... If it just straight-up dies, I'm SOL when it comes to a lot of data that I don't wanna risk.

So as much as I HATE HATE HATE the idea of paying $300 for a phone, I see it as: this is the only phone currently on the market that I can REALISTICALLY see actually lasting for another 20 months without become truly awful and behind-the-times. It's a Nexus, and I have friends who still have the OG Nexus and their phones run GREAT.

The first-to-be-updated, the what-should-be easily-overclocked chip (a 1.5ghz chip down-clocked to 1.2ghz... easy to get it back up to 1.5ghz with 99.999% safety, can probably push it to over 2.0ghz with no problem), the HUGE screen with full 720p resolution (who cares if it's PenTile? over 310ppi, y'all!!!), and what looks to be a very sturdy design. Not to mention it should keep up speed-wise with any and all 4G phones in the next 16-18mo, and even if others surpass it, the phone still has WiFi "N"...

However, for a phone to surpass it in 4G speeds means that the network itself would have to be HUGELY improved, and that's not gonna happen in the next year and a half, at least not so much that a mid-2012 phone is much faster, if at all, over 4G LTE...

Just my opinion, thanks for reading :)

alboboy10

Reaction score
Im going to wait a little. Dont wanna rush it.

pyro6128

Reaction score
I'm trying to get it day 1, but if a really good deal pops up shortly after, I wouldn't mind returning and getting the deal. I also have the verizon wireless living social voucher

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

mrmark27

Reaction score
ill be getting it either friday or over the weekend. im on my parents family plan and they're leaving for a 12 day cruise monday so its either get it now or wait 2 weeks and deal with my droid killing me on slowly

Caligula2008

Reaction score
I'm torn, want a good deal but not sure how long I can wait.

Although I do have my OG running smooth... just want one tho

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Waited long enough. Verizon first thing in the morning for me.:D

techRob

Reaction score
Kinda gotta agree with majority OG owners.. my wireless chip appears to flake out after a few days (maybe 1-2 weeks) and flashing a new ROM - or reflashing the same, seems to temporarily fix it. Also, tonight I had to reboot twice within a few hrs to get ANY signal at all. :-( ... my OG is not making life easy on me lol. I'm getting the GNex first thing in the AM.

Tapp'd via OG Droid on life support...

maniaryan

Reaction score
talked to 2 radioshacks today and they said that if they are able to sell this nexus, which most haven't even heard of ( :blink:), they sell all carrier phones less than the actual stores do. Between Costco, Best Buy, and Radio Shack...i gotta wait it out even though my OG is on it's last legs as well..

Think they'll get to all the channels (BB, Costco, etc...) relatively soon after the 9th?

Phenom Z

Reaction score
Waiting for the deals to come along. I'm still using an OG Droid on its last leg as well but it's hard to justify spending almost $400 on phone + accessories when in a month or so I might spend almost half of that. I can put up with the inconveniences just a little while longer.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Waited long enough. Verizon first thing in the morning for me.:D

Same here, cash in hand :)

stock-photo-958115-seven-hundred-american-dollars.jpg

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I can spend a day of work for this phone , hell I would spend a weak . On the other hand I think it should be $199 , but I can't wait anymore .

nbucko

Reaction score
I will wait. First to make sure there aren't huge problems and second to save a little money.

It is frustrating to see the phone you just bought a month prior selling for half price. I bought my wife a stratosphere a week after it came out. We got it at the shack for $50 less than what Verizon was selling if for but seriously 3 weeks later it was going for like half what we paid.

Pumaro

Reaction score
I will wait. First to make sure there aren't huge problems and second to save a little money.

It is frustrating to see the phone you just bought a month prior selling for half price. I bought my wife a stratosphere a week after it came out. We got it at the shack for $50 less than what Verizon was selling if for but seriously 3 weeks later it was going for like half what we paid.

I almost went with The htc rezound but want to wait for this phone.
I have had my thunderbolt from the day it came out and it has been a great phone the screen swipes still work smoothly and the talk while surfing and hotspot feature is very useful. I actually like the kickstand too, and was saddened to see the rezound no longer has this. The only downer is battery life. Last week running the Disney ride hopper app, the battery was dead in 7 hours when normally I can easily go a full day before needing a charge. Does anyone know how power consumption is on the nexus?
Does the amoled screen really conserve power?

Last edited: