Many purchasing options, but which one to go for?

kongo

Reaction score
Like a lot of you, I live California, and am going to buy the GNex tomorrow. Like a lot of you, I have an upgrade credit from VZW ($50). Like a lot of you, I also bought the Living Social coupon ($25 for $50 in accessories/phones). Some of you are also in the same situation. I've called around many places, and here's the summary:

1. I have a $50 upgrade credit from VZW.
2. I got the Living Social deal, so that's another $50 that I have to use in store.
3. BUT.... buying in store means the stupid full tax situation (paying tax on the unsubsidized cost of the phone), which would come out to $57.
4. Costco is selling for $289.99 + tax (just on the purchase price), which comes out to about $315 and also receive the alleged bundle that is supposed to come with it.

So, I guess my options are (tax is 8.75% here in Alameda County):

1. Buy at Verizon and pay (using both my upgrade credit and living social voucher) $199.99 + $57 tax = $257.
2. Buy at Costco and pay $315 ($289.99 + tax), lose my $50 credit at VZW, then use my Living Social coupon to buy $50 in accessories (maybe extended battery, maybe car dock?)
3. Buy at another retailer that doesn't charge full tax on the phone AND honors my $50 NE2 discount. That way, I pay $249 + $22 (taxes) = $272, and I can still use my Living Social coupon for accessories at corporate store.

Question is, which retail stores will honor my $50 upgrade AND only charge tax on the paid price? Best Buy, Radio Shack? Does anyone know for sure?

I guess the other option is to do this and pay $174.99 + $57 (full sales tax) = $232, and then wait a day for it to come by FedEx, then use my Living Social coupon for accessories: [Deal] Galaxy Nexus Available from LetsTalk for as Low as $155 for New Customers, $175 for Upgrades – Droid Life.

Thanks for you help. Hopefully the answers here will help others who might be in a similar situation as me, trying to save a few bucks tomorrow.

Reaction score
I have always bought my pohones from VZ stores but this is the first phone Im going to get from Best Buy because of their $170 2 year protection plan that has no deductible. I would otherwise pay 6 or 7 bucks/mo. and have to pay the $100 deductible for the claim. That was a pain when my OG broke. I got a D2G replacement but it had a problem with the screen and on the third try they got it right. asurion will be fine if I had to again but I just find the $170 2-year plan at Best Buy hard to beat. Plus ill be getting mine in Oregon; no sales taxt there !!!

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I go with Costco... the price is right, you get the bundle and 90 days return policy.. plus Costco will always go the extra mile to make you happy..

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
Like a lot of you, I live California, and am going to buy the GNex tomorrow. Like a lot of you, I have an upgrade credit from VZW ($50). Like a lot of you, I also bought the Living Social coupon ($25 for $50 in accessories/phones). Some of you are also in the same situation. I've called around many places, and here's the summary:

1. I have a $50 upgrade credit from VZW.
2. I got the Living Social deal, so that's another $50 that I have to use in store.
3. BUT.... buying in store means the stupid full tax situation (paying tax on the unsubsidized cost of the phone), which would come out to $57.
4. Costco is selling for $289.99 + tax (just on the purchase price), which comes out to about $315 and also receive the alleged bundle that is supposed to come with it.

So, I guess my options are (tax is 8.75% here in Alameda County):

1. Buy at Verizon and pay (using both my upgrade credit and living social voucher) $199.99 + $57 tax = $257.
2. Buy at Costco and pay $315 ($289.99 + tax), lose my $50 credit at VZW, then use my Living Social coupon to buy $50 in accessories (maybe extended battery, maybe car dock?)
3. Buy at another retailer that doesn't charge full tax on the phone AND honors my $50 NE2 discount. That way, I pay $249 + $22 (taxes) = $272, and I can still use my Living Social coupon for accessories at corporate store.

Question is, which retail stores will honor my $50 upgrade AND only charge tax on the paid price? Best Buy, Radio Shack? Does anyone know for sure?

I guess the other option is to do this and pay $174.99 + $57 (full sales tax) = $232, and then wait a day for it to come by FedEx, then use my Living Social coupon for accessories: [Deal] Galaxy Nexus Available from LetsTalk for as Low as $155 for New Customers, $175 for Upgrades – Droid Life.

Thanks for you help. Hopefully the answers here will help others who might be in a similar situation as me, trying to save a few bucks tomorrow.

I asked in another thread and was told that the Living Social coupon cannot be combined with your NE2 discount. I'm still going to ask at the VZW store, though.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Does your state do sales tax for online orders? Cause when I did Lets Talk I didn't have to pay any sales tax.