Anyone waiting for a better deal on the Nexus?

djras1

Reaction score
Well, I don't see any price deals happening soon on the GNex. The Razr has been out for 4 weeks now and ALL stores are still 299. Some may bundle extras, but phone is not discounted. I would expect GNex to be the same price.

Last night checked local Best Buy. The guy there knew of the GNex, but didn't know when they would have it in stock. Local Verizon store also had one guy familiar with GNex, but only through surfing. Didn't even know the 9th date "confirmed". All said 299... same price as Razr.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I saw the word waiting in the thread name and just put a hole through my wall, that should sum it up for you.

eagle923

Reaction score
I'll probably wait. I have a D1 as well and luckily it isn't on "its last legs" as many describe. It works fine and runs ChevyNo1 SS5.6 with ease. I just want a new phone, but I'll wait until after the holidays. I'd rather get stuff for the kids instead of a phone for me.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I wish I could, but my OG Droid is on its last legs and I can't deal with 5-10+ crashes PER DAY and the five-times-a-day charging anymore... If it just straight-up dies, I'm SOL when it comes to a lot of data that I don't wanna risk.

So as much as I HATE HATE HATE the idea of paying $300 for a phone, I see it as: this is the only phone currently on the market that I can REALISTICALLY see actually lasting for another 20 months without become truly awful and behind-the-times. It's a Nexus, and I have friends who still have the OG Nexus and their phones run GREAT.

The first-to-be-updated, the what-should-be easily-overclocked chip (a 1.5ghz chip down-clocked to 1.2ghz... easy to get it back up to 1.5ghz with 99.999% safety, can probably push it to over 2.0ghz with no problem), the HUGE screen with full 720p resolution (who cares if it's PenTile? over 310ppi, y'all!!!), and what looks to be a very sturdy design. Not to mention it should keep up speed-wise with any and all 4G phones in the next 16-18mo, and even if others surpass it, the phone still has WiFi "N"...

However, for a phone to surpass it in 4G speeds means that the network itself would have to be HUGELY improved, and that's not gonna happen in the next year and a half, at least not so much that a mid-2012 phone is much faster, if at all, over 4G LTE...

Just my opinion, thanks for reading :)

Uhm... the rzr bionic and gnex are all the same exact chipset... i hate how people are so naive to think only the gnex will have a worthwhile life expectancy..when its the same dang hardware as all the other dual cores..and they are 90% the same hardware.. major differences are only the screens and cameras... and i don't want to hear this is a 4460 not a 4430 cpus...they are physically exactly the same. One just could maintain a higher frequency at a tiny tiny bit less voltage (resulted from a "cleaner" die process )... but exactly the same none the less. All current dual core lte phones wont be fully utilized for several updates into ics...need proof? Here is my bionic.. stock rom. Rooted. Bloated .. no sd tweaks.. @ 1.2ghz... faster than sgII ...exactly the same scores as a gnex... and this is with thier brand new flagship pure google.. on VANILLA ics.. bet the bionic would have better scores on vanilla ics than gb with blur.. my point is.. while gnex is going to be an amazing phone... from a hardware standpoint its no upgrade. No offense. Ill be waiting for the deals.. but honestly after bionic gets ota. And mbm drops his dx-like work around.. and we can oc and cm9 and custom kernals...why even waste my money... ? And i dont think its a secret some samsung products have been built pretty shotty before...specially when compared to moto (Love how everyone says well from the vids and pics it definitely has a nice build quality.. wtf???vidd n pics??? lol...)...just my 2cents.. just remember guys... its a phone... NOT the messiah...Cheers. :)

Here is the aforementioned bench.

CAP201112011133.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Uhm... the rzr bionic and gnex are all the same exact chipset... i hate how people are so naive to think only the gnex will have a worthwhile life expectancy..when its the same dang hardware as all the other dual cores..and they are 90% the same hardware.. major differences are only the screens and cameras... and i don't want to hear this is a 4460 not a 4430 cpus...they are physically exactly the same. One just could maintain a higher frequency at a tiny tiny bit less voltage (resulted from a "cleaner" die process )... but exactly the same none the less. All current dual core lte phones wont be fully utilized for several updates into ics...need proof? Here is my bionic.. stock rom. Rooted. Bloated .. no sd tweaks.. @ 1.2ghz... faster than sgII ...exactly the same scores as a gnex... and this is with thier brand new flagship pure google.. on VANILLA ics.. bet the bionic would have better scores on vanilla ics than gb with blur.. my point is.. while gnex is going to be an amazing phone... from a hardware standpoint its no upgrade. No offense. Ill be waiting for the deals.. but honestly after bionic gets ota. And mbm drops his dx-like work around.. and we can oc and cm9 and custom kernals...why even waste my money... ? Cheers.

CAP201112011133.jpg

Yeah right :D

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Uhm... the rzr bionic and gnex are all the same exact chipset... i hate how people are so naive to think only the gnex will have a worthwhile life expectancy..when its the same dang hardware as all the other dual cores..and they are 90% the same hardware.. major differences are only the screens and cameras... and i don't want to hear this is a 4460 not a 4430 cpus...they are physically exactly the same. One just could maintain a higher frequency at a tiny tiny bit less voltage (resulted from a "cleaner" die process )... but exactly the same none the less. All current dual core lte phones wont be fully utilized for several updates into ics...need proof? Here is my bionic.. stock rom. Rooted. Bloated .. no sd tweaks.. @ 1.2ghz... faster than sgII ...exactly the same scores as a gnex... and this is with thier brand new flagship pure google.. on VANILLA ics.. bet the bionic would have better scores on vanilla ics than gb with blur.. my point is.. while gnex is going to be an amazing phone... from a hardware standpoint its no upgrade. No offense. Ill be waiting for the deals.. but honestly after bionic gets ota. And mbm drops his dx-like work around.. and we can oc and cm9 and custom kernals...why even waste my money... ? And i dont think its a secret some samsung products have been built pretty shotty before...specially when compared to moto (Love how everyone says well from the vids and pics it definitely has a nice build quality.. wtf???vidd n pics??? lol...)...just my 2cents.. just remember guys... its a phone... NOT the messiah...Cheers. :)

CAP201112011133.jpg

orry.jpg

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Really.

You have a valid point but the 10% hardware difference definitely makes the G-Nex a better device than the Razr and Bionic and for the same price. Also the G-Nex will be able to be OC'd higher than the Razr or Bionic thus making it even more superior to said devices.

techRob

Reaction score
Here's the thing...its still a massive upgrade from an OG Droid - and IMHO kind of a no brainier upgrade from an OG.

Like Ive said in previous posts; my phone is having wireless chip issues that only re-flashing seems to remedy - temporarily. Also, the battery has been acting weird - the other night it said I had about 70% juice left....I had to reboot just to get data flowing again via 3G...when it cane back on I was suddenly at 20% .

Again, for me, the GNex makes sense, and it makes sense to get it sooner than later.

Tapp'd via OG Droid on life support...

ex0rcist

Reaction score
You have a valid point but the 10% hardware difference definitely makes the G-Nex a better device than the Razr and Bionic and for the same price. Also the G-Nex will be able to be OC'd higher than the Razr or Bionic thus making it even more superior to said devices.

The ten percent is the screen and cameras... and also cpus dont work like that... one rzr Could hit 2.0... my db night max at 1.7 and ur gnex might not make it past 1.5ghz... so ur double wrong ...the hardware is exactly the same... gnex runs slightly overclocked gpu yes... but the 0map 4460 and 4430 chipsets by ti.. are exactly the same. Period. So you have no idea what you're talking about.. there is no clear overclocking king... specially when working with the exact same hardware...ive built so many Pc's in my time.. and i for one can tell you.. one core2duo e4500 might hit 3.0ghz... then an exact same brand and model chip ...only 2 chips down the production line might only get 2.8ghz...on a side note.. im really enjoying all these people telling me what thier gnex is guna do and how much they will overclock it..when they havent even touched one...gnexs attractive feature is not its hardware.. its ics and open bootloader on vzws lte network... if it didnt have those two things no one would even care about the curved ugly thing... would just be another dualcore lte phone. Woopie doooo. Rofll. U guys kill me.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ten percent is the screen and cameras... and also cpus dont work like that... one rzr Could hit 2.0... my db night max at 1.7 and ur gnex might not make it past 1.5ghz... so ur double wrong ...the hardware is exactly the same... gnex runs slightly overclocked gpu yes... but the 0map 4460 and 4430 chipsets by ti.. are exactly the same. Period. So you have no idea what you're talking about.. there is no clear overclocking king... specially when working with the exact same hardware...ive built so many Pc's in my time.. and i for one can tell you.. one core2duo e4500 might hit 3.0ghz... then an exact same brand and model chip ...only 2 chips down the production line might only get 2.8ghz...on a side note.. im really enjoying all these people telling me what thier gnex is guna do and how much they will overclock it..when they havent even touched one...gnexs attractive feature is not its hardware.. its ics and open bootloader on vzws lte network... if it didnt have those two things no one would even care about the curved ugly thing... would just be another dualcore lte phone. Woopie doooo. Rofll. U guys kill me.

Sorry man, you're not convincing anyone here. Face it, the Gnex is infinitely better than the Bionic. Your benchmark scores mean nothing in the real world. If you're really in to benchmarks, wait til they have a benchmark app that factors ICS into the equation.

techRob

Reaction score
ex0rcist - yes n no. I'm prolly in the minority here, but while part of ur statement about the attractiveness is true (those two items, plus stating ppl would prolly ignore it otherwise)... here's what does it for me:
* No vzw bloat (those two apps hardly count - at least I'm nit being force fed blockbuster)
* Updates FROM Google as opposed to from the hardware manufacturer / vzw.
* no 3rd party skin
* yes, its way more open
* yes, first legit ICS phone
* I like the concept of no shutter lag (big issue on my phone)

manufacturer wise, I'm a Motorola fan. I don't wanna ever get an HTC, and I'm hesitant on Samsung. However, there are small trade offs to get what I want from a phone. Also, don't say "you can root / theme etc... to take care of all that." - I don't want to have to do that. If I root, its because I just want to.

...and no, I personally don't plan on OC'g the gnex - did it on my Droid, never saw a drop of difference.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score

Ok, but you're assuming I'll get one that can't be OC'd higher than 1.5ghz so now you're wrong. I know how CPU's work I'm not ignorant I do lots of techie reading and have also built computers. Maybe you should really do some research instead of thinking you know more than someone else.

Read this: OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4460

Notice it says OMAP4430 operates at 1.0ghz and OMAP4460 operates at 1.5ghz. Please tell me how this means the OMAP4460 is not superior to the OMAP4430. The OMAP4460 also has better video graphics performance too but I guess you already knew that. They may be the same chipset but the OMAP4460 is far superior than the OMAP4430. Don't ever tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I do research before I start running my mouth.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
ex0rcist - yes n no. I'm prolly in the minority here, but while part of ur statement about the attractiveness is true (those two items, plus stating ppl would prolly ignore it otherwise)... here's what does it for me:
* No vzw bloat (those two apps hardly count - at least I'm nit being force fed blockbuster)
* Updates FROM Google as opposed to from the hardware manufacturer / vzw.
* no 3rd party skin
* yes, its way more open
* yes, first legit ICS phone
* I like the concept of no shutter lag (big issue on my phone)

manufacturer wise, I'm a Motorola fan. I don't wanna ever get an HTC, and I'm hesitant on Samsung. However, there are small trade offs to get what I want from a phone. Also, don't say "you can root / theme etc... to take care of all that." - I don't want to have to do that. If I root, its because I just want to.

...and no, I personally don't plan on OC'g the gnex - did it on my Droid, never saw a drop of difference.

The bloat will still SOMEWHAT be there but with ics.. u can freeze it. and i said vanilla.. so i basically ment less bloat... no blur or sence or wiz... and updates are still going to be from vzw. Otas wont be put out by google.. they will be sent from google or samdung to big red.. who will approve it.. add what they want.... and then be sent out via ota by vzw.. and shutter lag? Camera xoom fx... nuff said .. just wanted to correct the misinfo. Again.

LuvMusic

Reaction score
I'll probably wait. I have a D1 as well and luckily it isn't on "its last legs" as many describe. It works fine and runs ChevyNo1 SS5.6 with ease. I just want a new phone, but I'll wait until after the holidays. I'd rather get stuff for the kids instead of a phone for me.

Back on topic......

I'm in the same situation you are.....D1, running fine. Don't need a new phone but want a new phone. One kid got skateboard stuff and the other an Asus Transformer.

Waiting to see how the hardware performs in the real word. Also am considering an unlocked Nexus with 32gb, not available yet, but, I suspect soon. I'd really like to have world phone capabilities.

Kind of interested in seeing some reports on the Samsung Galaxy S2 HD....suppose to have a new dual-core processor in it that is faster and more efficient.

The saying....."If you can't decide, don't"