another reminder to myself why I shouldn't get into custom ROMs: can't reboot

Trionalaw

Reaction score
I successfully flashed liberty version 8 and then I think version 9 from the liberty toolbox. This morning I decided to add the epic blue theme. Now it just gets to the black fist in the yellow circle on reboot. I tried the power volume down camera button and got to boot loader 30.04 but have no idea what to do after that.I attached it to the USB cable and tried to reboot and nothing.

Am I just jinx?

As things now stand, my droid X is nothing more than a prop.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the phone off, hold the home and power button until an Android pops up. Then press both volume buttons in. The stock recovery menu will pop up. Then use the volume keys to highlight factory data reset and use the power button to select it. Do the same for cache. Then reboot. If that doesn't work, you will need to sbf. Use the links in my signature.

random rom'd X

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
thank you, Brad,

Your suggestion got me to the recovery but the android has the dreaded triangle with the yellow! in it. None of these functions work. I guess I will follow your SBF guide and see what happens.I will report back.

Much appreciated,

Jim

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
how long did you wait for the yellow fist to go away. It can take up to 15 mins for all elements of the theme to install and proceed with boot.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
how long did you wait for the yellow fist to go away. It can take up to 15 mins for all elements of the theme to install and proceed with boot.

I have installed many themes and files and never have had to wait more than 5 minutes to boot.

random rom'd X

travisn000

Reaction score
Your suggestion got me to the recovery but the android has the dreaded triangle with the yellow! in it.

The "dreaded triangle" is where you want to be to clear data & cache.. it is just a warning screen for the stock recovery that Brad was directing you to..

...hit search button when you see the triangle and you will then see the menu to "wipe data/ factory reset", and "wipe cache partition"
;)

(I would try just wiping cache and rebooting, before trying data/reset; it may save you from having to reinstall all apps)

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The "dreaded triangle" is where you want to be to clear data & cache.. it is just a warning screen for the stock recovery that Brad was directing you to..

...hit search button when you see the triangle and you will then see the menu to "wipe data/ factory reset", and "wipe cache partition"
;)

(I would try just wiping cache and rebooting, before trying data/reset; it may save you from having to reinstall all apps)

On Gingerbread, its not the search button. You have to press the 2 volume buttons. He said the volume buttons didn't work getting into recovery, so the only thing left to do would be sbf.

random rom'd X

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
I waited 30 min. and it still would not get any farther than the hand in the yellow circle.

Thanks so much anyway.

Jim

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Brad:

I had to use the SPF method. I have the boot loader version 30.04. I downloaded these two files:

C:\Users\j_triona\Desktop\VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf

C:\Users\j_triona\Desktop\VRZ_MB810_4.5.596_1FF_01.sbf

Using RSD light 4.9 I could get neither one of them to get the start button to function.I watched your video on a another thread. When I get to the SPF file it doesn't populate the file properties portion of RSD light. Thought that might help.

By the way, I have downloaded the latest USB drivers. With each file RSD does indicate I am connected.

Any suggestions at this point? I guess I am in the twilight zone as I did try to reboot again into Liberty version .09 and after 30 min. nothing.

Thanks so much,

Jim

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard that one before... are you using a Windows based computer? What version, XP, Vista,7? Did you unzip the sbf files using WinRAR or 7zip?

If all else fails, use the 2nd link in my signature for the Linux sbf CD. It works well and I use it all the time.

random rom'd X

travisn000

Reaction score
On Gingerbread, its not the search button. You have to press the 2 volume buttons. He said the volume buttons didn't work getting into recovery, so the only thing left to do would be sbf.

random rom'd X

..sorry for the confusion...

I'm currently running the latest MIUI on my DX; it is based on Android Gingerbread (v2.3.5)... I still have to use the search key to access the recovery menu once the triangle appears.

:icon_eek:

Also... +1 to the linux method; it is much easier!

Last edited:
OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Brad,

I am running Windows 7 professional 32-bit. I will try the second site.

sorry, but the linux may not work for me. I don't have the capability of burning a CD nor do I have a thumb drive.

Now I really am sunk it looks like.

Thanks,

Jim

travisn000

Reaction score
Brad,

sorry, but the linux may not work for me. I don't have the capability of burning a CD nor do I have a thumb drive.

Thanks,

Jim

...you should be able to use unetbootin to run the linux disk image directly from your hard drive, just set it up as a "frugal install":

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Brad,

Thanks,

Jim

You may have to run RSD Lite as Administrator. Or use the Linux method above instead of burning the iso to a disc.

random rom'd X

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
okay gentlemen, how about this?

I decided to go back to RDS light version 4.8. It offered a different SDF file. Everything worked great until it got to the point where it told me to manually power up the phone. Unfortunately, it is in the Liberty reboot mode. It has the fist in the yellow circle. it is frozen there.

Now what?

Thanks so much. Sorry to be such a problem.

Jim