A very easy guide to Rooting, backup, and ROM flashing for the DX....

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is my guide to rooting, backing up, and flashing ROM's on the DX. I have spent a lot of time lately posting replies into threads for doing this and I have been told that my method is very easy to follow. So I thought I would share with all.

Here is the "Nerdslogic" way of doing this including rooting, backup, and ROM flashing....ALL of this can be done from PHONE....no PC required

APPS you will need:
Andyapppack.zip (linked in this thread at the bottom)
Z4Root....free and I will get to that in a second
Astro File Manager (or similar) free in Market
AppInstaller....free in market (optional)
DX Bootstrap Recovery

Rooting the DX:

new way

Install Superoneclick on your PC from the Andyapppack linked below. Connect Droid X to PC via USB cable. Click root on Superoneclick. There may be some steps in between depending on your phone's particular configuration....USB settings and so on....but that is pretty much it.

old way

Copy over and install Z4Root from the Andyapppack attached to this post at the bottom.

It will download as a TXT file....just use Astro and rename the file to an APK by holding down on the file, select edit, rename, and just replace the last 3 letters (TXT) with APK

Go to menu, settings, applications, and check the box next to "Unknown Sources"

Use appinstaller to install Z4Root.

Open Z4Root and click "Permanent Root" if you select Temp your root will be gone when your phone reboots the next time.

The benefit to using Z4Root is should you need to unroot you just open the app and click "unroot"

Backing up your current ROM after root:

1. Open DX\D2 Bootstrap Recovery
  2. Select top option and grant SU Permission....wait for "success" to pop up
  3. Select second option....your phone will reboot
  4. In this menu Volume up and volume down are your navigation and camera = enter....back arrow goes back a level or to previous menu
  5. Navigate to Backup\restore
  6. Select backup....this will take a while...wait till it says backup complete then navigate back to original menu....select reboot

Backing up your apps for easy restore after ROM install on your DX:

• Download Titanium Backup (your choice if you do free or Pro....I use pro for batch functions)
  • Run a COMPLETE backup of all user and system apps and data

NOTE: This complete backup and only be restored in it's entirety if you are running the exact same ROM (version and all) on the exact same device....in other words for all intents and purposes your phone has to be in the exact same state it was in when you made the back up for the restore to be successful. BUT....you can restore the apps on a new ROM if you select "missing apps and data"

Flashing a new ROM on your DX:

1. Open DX\D2 Bootstrap Recovery
  2. Select top option and wait for "success" to pop up
  3. Select second option....your phone will reboot
  4. In this menu Volume up and volume down are your navigation and camera = enter....back arrow goes back a level or to previous menu
  5. select "wipe data/factory reset"
  6. Select "yes----delete all data"
  7. Hit back arrow
  8. Select "choose zip from SDCARD"
  9. Find and select ROM you are flashing....for example Liberty1.5 2 or X (depending on if you have a D2 or DX) and hit camera button....wait till install is complete
  10. Use back arrow to get back to main menu and select reboot

That's it. If you bootloop after ROM install go back into recovery and wipe your davlik cache located in the advanced section. That should fix the loop.

Restoring your apps after install of a new ROM on your DX:

For the most part Google will take care of this when you open the market after your install. But for those apps no longer available or that aren't listed you can follow these steps providing you used my method to back them up with Titanium Backup.

• Reinstall Titanium backup from Market
  • Open click "Backup/Restore"
  • Hit menu and select "Batch"
  • Select "RUN Restore missing apps with data
  • Select apps you wish to install (I don't do all of them because sometimes it stores multiple versions of an app and I only want the newest ones)
  • Click "Run the batch operation

**It is recommended that you reboot after restoring your apps. I do this after every set of 20 or so. Reason being is your apps may require boot, wont work right till reboot, or simply wont show in your app drawer....if you experience bootloops after restoring your apps on a new ROM boot into recovery and wipe davlik cache located in the "advanced" section this has worked EVERY time for me in this situation**

You can use the first post in this thread for referrence.....there are also instructions for installing themes and more. A lot can be found in the Liberty Toolbox for additional mod's and tweaks.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE VERSIONS OF ROM'S YOU ARE FLASHING. IF YOU FLASH A D2 VERSION ON A DX YOU COULD SERIOUSLY MESS UP YOUR DEVICE

**UPDATE**

Here is my app pack for rooting the Droid X. I am using this now as a replacement for the Z4Root as Z4 seems to have freeze issues.

If through any of this you find yourself needing to SBF your DX click here

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
1) The link to Droid X Bootstrap Recovery from Koush is not working.

2) How are you offering this as "free" when Koush charges for it in the market?

3) Does Koush know you are doing this?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Koush actually offers the app for free on his website. That's where the link should take you.

tappin and a talkin

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
I already have dx bootstrap recovery from the market, but I want to put the .apk of it on my sd card. The link on his website does not work. Is there any other way to do this? I want to put my phone back to a fresh .340 and then flash Liberty 1.5. Another member said he did this and got a flawless install. I just don't want to have to buy bootstrap recovery again after I reroot.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well you won't have to buy it again. All your app purchases are tethered to your gmail acct.

tappin and a talkin

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
Thanks spaz, but the link on koush's site to download the .apk is broken.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh I see what happened there. Looks like its strictly a paid app now lol.

tappin and a talkin

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
So if I go back to stock. 340 using maderstock and reroot with z4root how do I reinstall bootstrap recovery?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Drumwolf

Reaction score
I wish to use this guide, but for some reason the bootstraper recovery app has been taken down.

Edit: Can I make a slight suggestion. I would add a step for those impaired *points at self* on how to enabled USB debugging since some people may not google it. I however went ahead & did so & finished without much hassle. Great guide.

Last edited:

dufner44

Reaction score
I am looking at rooting my Droid X...nothing too fancy regarding custom ROMs (...actually, I am not looking at installing a custom ROM at all). I am just wanting basic root and the ability to tether to a nook color (rooted as well). Is this my best and most importantly, easiest way?

Thanks for answering :)

Drumwolf

Reaction score
I am looking at rooting my Droid X...nothing too fancy regarding custom ROMs (...actually, I am not looking at installing a custom ROM at all). I am just wanting basic root and the ability to tether to a nook color (rooted as well). Is this my best and most importantly, easiest way?

Thanks for answering :)

I would say that it is pretty much straight forward in giving directions. My only suggestion is that before you install z4root with appinstaller, that you go enable "USB debugging" so you don't run into errors. Home Screen > Settings > Applications > Development > Check Box To Enable USB Debugging.

Good Luck

Hammerjelly

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the rooting part, I tried several different ways and this is the first one that I acutely got to work dancedroid

Tinninches

Reaction score
Christ....so I'm following this easier than pie, step-by-step method to root and I come to a problem. Apparently my purchase of DX bootstrap didn't go through last night. So effectively, I'm rooted, but can't back up the current (OE) rom. How long does it take to get these damn apps from the online app market (over my pc) pushed to my phone? Should I just stay away from the online market or does it take equally as long to get paid apps via the market via your phone?

Should i just turn the phone off and not use it until I see that the app been pushed to my phone finally?