Can't Get Into ANY Recovery. End of my Rope.

receptacle

Reaction score
I've spent all night on this... literally. I've read and read, and tried everything I have seen to try. The bottom line is I can't boot into any recovery.

Background:
Was running CM4D2-GB. Made backups using ROM Manager. Then SBFd to 2.3.20 Froyo to get OTA Gingerbread to possibly take phone in for warranty replacement because of black screen after calling and erratic touch screen input when plugged in. I had trouble with SBF even after doing over and over (got PASS, but still ended up in boot loop). So I finally did X+Power, got triangle, pressed magnifying glass key to go to stock recovery, and chose factory data reset.

After that, it of course was new in box status. I reactivated using *228 then did the OTA Gingerbread update. After a couple days, I didn't see issues recur and missed CM4D2-GB so much I decided to go back. So I rooted Gingerbread again using Pete's Droid 3 rooting script for Linux (I used before with success). I said success. Then installed ROM Manager and chose Flash Clockworkmod Recovery. It said successfully downloaded. Then I chose reboot into recovery. It did a normal reboot, no recovery.

Since then I've tried flashing old CWM Recovery then current one, to no avail. Also tried going into stock recovery using X+Power. When I get the /!\ and push the magnifying glass, nothing happens. I have to pull the battery to turn it off. I even tried manually pushing boot bootstrap-1.0.0.5-droid2.apk using adb. It said read only. I tried adb shell from PC then "su" and permission was denied, however when I used terminal emulator on phone, "su" worked. I remounted read-write, then copied the bootstrap...apk file to /system/app/ and rebooted. Still simply goes into normal boot.

Obviously I can't restore any backups or install any ROMS because there is no CWM and apparently no recovery on my phone whatsoever. After I do a factory data reset to Froyo, stock recovery is there.

I am completely at the end of my rope on this. :mad: If anyone can help me through this, I would greatly appreciate it.

...Update: I tried going into Droid 2 Bootstrap app and choosing Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery and CWM Recovery loaded. So I chose to install CM4D2-GB-20111006. It installed, but now it loops at the CM logo. It circles a few times, then the guy running across the screen starts again... repeats infinitely.

So I came across a buried thread about the buttons being different for GB to get into stock recovery from the /!\ ... no longer the magnifying glass but BOTH volume buttons. That would've been helpful. Then it took me a long time time to stumble onto the fact that the power button (not camera) is for choosing. So I wiped cache, rebooted, still CM boot loop. I could factory reset again, but that's how I got here, and if I do it again, I don't know what I'd do differently to avoid this path.

...still need help.

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
Reboot phone. You will see M logo. Then M logo will disappear. Pull battery before droid eye boot animation appears. Wait three seconds then reinstall battery. Should boot into cwm. Have battery cover off so you are ready to pull battery when time comes. If it doesn't work first time, let it boot all the way up, then try a second time. Hope it works for you.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
lizard: There is no red droid eye animation anymore. I'm currently on OTA Gingerbread with root and Clockworkmod Recovery 5.0.2.0. The last successful thing I did was boot into CWM Recovery, wipe cache, install CM4D2-GB-20111006, then gapps-08028-signed, then reboot system.

I tried what you said anyway... more than once... and no change. Immediately after the red circled M, the animated cyan-colored CM logo runs across screen, then turns, then, runs across screen, then turns, and on and on...

Still in severe need of help. Phone is unusable in current state.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Droid 2 so excuse me it this is idiotic, but do need a bootstrap app in order to install CWR the first time?

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
BayouFlyFisher: I already used the Droid 2 Bootstrapper to Bootstrap Recovery. Then I used ROM Manager to upgrade to 5.0.2.0.

jas2: I've done SBF of VRZ_955_2.3.20 many times, using both RSDLite 4.9 and sbf_flash on Linux (which is my primary OS). I completes successfully, but then leaves my system in some weird state after reboot... no wallpaper and phone won't respond. Every time I get there, I have to do Power+X, stock recovery, Factory Data Reset, then start all over getting OTA GB, rooting, CWM. Then I install CM4D2-GB, then it boot loops forever on the Cyan logo.

I need more help than just the following question, but for now, how can I manually boot into Clockworkmod Recovery on this Droid 2? I do Power+X but when I press both volume buttons I remember it taking me to stock recovery.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are not on a 2nd init ROM (which you're not), you need to use D2 bootstrap. It doesn't matter about flashing recoveries using ROM Manager yet, you still have to use Bootstrap first.

Boot Manager

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
brad92: As mentioned in my most recent reply to this thread, I did use D2 Bootstrap, then successfully booted into it to install CM4D2. That's how I got to the CM4D2 logo boot loop that plagues me now.

While waiting for help, I tried every mehod I've read to try to get into Clockworkmod Recovery from a powered-off state, but nothing works. The only thing I know will work at this point (judging by the past 24 hrs) is Factory Data Reset to Froyo, re-setup phone like new, receive OTA GB, root, bootstrap. But what good is all that if I can't flash any ROMs? ... specifically the one really need--CM4D2-GB?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
brad92: As mentioned in my most recent reply to this thread, I did use D2 Bootstrap, then successfully booted into it to install CM4D2. That's how I got to the CM4D2 logo boot loop that plagues me now.

While waiting for help, I tried every mehod I've read to try to get into Clockworkmod Recovery from a powered-off state, but nothing works. The only thing I know will work at this point (judging by the past 24 hrs) is Factory Data Reset to Froyo, re-setup phone like new, receive OTA GB, root, bootstrap. But what good is all that if I can't flash any ROMs? ... specifically the one really need--CM4D2-GB?

I apologize, I don't know how I missed the second part of your previous post.

My phone has been plaguing me with issues getting into CWR also, but everything else works. I have had to sbf a bunch and usually I can get into recovery after I flash CM7 again but then I get another issue... so I have pretty much had the same issues but the ROM will boot up for me.

I am also running Boot Manager, but that shouldn't have any issues...

Boot Manager

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
brad92: no prob. :)

Something worked!...
I have done SBF, FDR, OTA GB, root, CWM, then installed CM4D2-GB-2011106 to get boot loop so many times I've lost count. I did it all again, but this time instead of trying to install a clean install of CM4D2-GB-2011106, I tried to restore the backup I did just before returning to unrooted OTA GB (backup was of CM4D2-GB-2011106+Jakesmod and my apps). Using CWM 2.5.0.8 directly gave errors about skipping system, data, .android_secure, and cache, then rebooted with no change to OTA GB. Then I went to ROM Manager and chose to restore the same one. It rebooted into CWM 5.0.2.0 and worked like a charm. *big deep breath* I don't have a clue why I could never install a clean version of the 20111006, and that still bugs me, but at least I have my phone usable again. Now I'm afraid to ever make changes to it.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
brad92: no prob. :)

Something worked!...
I have done SBF, FDR, OTA GB, root, CWM, then installed CM4D2-GB-2011106 to get boot loop so many times I've lost count. I did it all again, but this time instead of trying to install a clean install of CM4D2-GB-2011106, I tried to restore the backup I did just before returning to unrooted OTA GB (backup was of CM4D2-GB-2011106+Jakesmod and my apps). Using CWM 2.5.0.8 directly gave errors about skipping system, data, .android_secure, and cache, then rebooted with no change to OTA GB. Then I went to ROM Manager and chose to restore the same one. It rebooted into CWM 5.0.2.0 and worked like a charm. *big deep breath* I don't have a clue why I could never install a clean version of the 20111006, and that still bugs me, but at least I have my phone usable again. Now I'm afraid to ever make changes to it.

Glad you got it working! I hear ya, it annoys the hell out of me when I can't get into recovery... even when the rest of my phone is working ok...

Boot Manager