1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android will fail without update reform

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by kingsway8605, Dec 16, 2010.

1. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

Mark my words...the lack of transperancy regarding updates and the quick end of life dates will kill Android.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  2. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

I'll be sure to write that down.

tappin and a talkin
  3. Ice_Cold

Ice_Cold New Member

Ok the d1 has had 4 updates in a year and the x has had what 2 or 3. The d2 has had 1. Its not up to google to update the phone. But the phone manufacturers. So don't hate cuz you rather have an iPhone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

And actually the d2 has had 2 in about 4 months

tappin and a talkin
  5. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Motorola has been good but I don't like the way HTC seems to ditch their support

6. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

The droid is end of life already and will not receive another update, just one year after release. And watch all the new phones teased in the last year that don't get 2.3. I am willing to bet the incredible doesn't get gingerbread.

7. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

Don't count the droid out just yet. But that's beside the point. Android isn't the culprit here, its just the nature of technology. We are experiencing a huge boom in technological advances and if a company wants to continue to add to their customer base and not get left in the dust, they have to continually evolve. Its the same story accross the board so if android is going to fail, so is every mobile platform in existence.

tappin and a talkin
  8. Ice_Cold

Ice_Cold New Member

So in your words, Windows will fail because PC have end of life every 6 months. If you dont like Android then leave sell your phone and buy a Windows 7 phone or a Crapberry. Don't hate because phones EOL when technology advances
  9. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

[​IMG]

If its not moving slow enough for you just get a dumb phone.

10. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Premium Member Premium Member

What updates does Android need? I'm not missing any features on my D2.
  11. GT944

GT944 New Member

I smell an iPhone fan in our midst... Steve, is that you? :p

Sent from my ADR6300
  12. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

I'm not an Android fan or an iphone fan. In all honesty ive never understood how anyone could be a fan of an electronic item. But I get pissed when my phone becomes out of date not for technical reasons but because verizon wants me to buy a new one.

13. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

Don't hate the player hate the game. Regardless of what carrier, operating system, manufacturer, smart phone, dumb phone, its always going to be the same.

tappin and a talkin
  14. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

There's still hope the D1 will get GB and most devicess launched after should definately get it. The issue with updates is not with google, they are doing a good job. Heck the iphone get 1 update a year...and not always a major one. The D1 is still relevant. Even though its not on the shelf anymore doesn't mean its not supported. Just because technology moves fast doesn't mean there's a problem. If you have a D1 you will be fine until your NE2 and when you do upgrade you will have a device by and far way superior to what you left. Be happy knowing that.

Sent from somewhere...
  15. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

Did you see the rom section of these phones lately. We update for like 2 mins then we all go back to roms. Motorola and google has done a good job supporting their devices. The d1 just got an update a few weeks ago and the dx followed. We know the d2 will be getting one soon. Just chill on out and enjoy your device....besides the droids dont need 100s of updates they just make minor tweaks here an there.
  16. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

What phone do you have?

17. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

Went from droid to the droid 2.
  18. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

I meant kingsway8605

19. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

He has a droid X. Honestly, if you don't like the speed techonology is advancing then maybe an iphone is for you. And thats not a knock against the iphone, but as stated already, they only update like once a year, and outside of the iphone 4, each year its pretty much the same exact phone. We have options with android. I'm not even sure why you're complaining considering you own a droid X which has gotten a couple of updates already in its short life, and prob still has at least 6 months of updates left in it.

But maybe I'm just spoiled that I still have the badass OG droid and get new roms and updates almost weekly. Although when the dual core phones start coming out I'm going to have to upgrade, but as of now no phone could make me give up the OG droid. Rest assured, the OG droid will have gingerbread, either an official release, or a rom, but we'll absolutely have it.
  20. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

I certainly don't feel the phones are neglected as far as updates because the proof is in the pudding, we get frequent updates. But I can see his/her point on phones reaching their EOL so fast. You sign up for a 2 year contract to get the best deals and within 6 or 7 months your phone has reached it's EOL. I think something we tend to always fail to see here in the forum is that 99% of smartphone users don't root their phones to take advantage of all that android truly has to offer. So if I can put myself into the mindset of a non-rooted user, I can definitely see where it would be frustrating to have a phone that has "officially" reached it's EOL within months of buying it and now you have to wait another year and a half to upgrade or bite the bullet and pay full retail. Now granted for us rooters a phone never truly reaches it's EOL thanks to the awesome dev community we have but the EOL phones do reach an official end of development. That being said, I don't think this in anyway will be the downfall of Android. I think Android has secured it's place among the big boys in the smartphone market.