What phone do you have?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Went from droid to the droid 2.

pyro6128

Reaction score
He has a droid X. Honestly, if you don't like the speed techonology is advancing then maybe an iphone is for you. And thats not a knock against the iphone, but as stated already, they only update like once a year, and outside of the iphone 4, each year its pretty much the same exact phone. We have options with android. I'm not even sure why you're complaining considering you own a droid X which has gotten a couple of updates already in its short life, and prob still has at least 6 months of updates left in it.

But maybe I'm just spoiled that I still have the badass OG droid and get new roms and updates almost weekly. Although when the dual core phones start coming out I'm going to have to upgrade, but as of now no phone could make me give up the OG droid. Rest assured, the OG droid will have gingerbread, either an official release, or a rom, but we'll absolutely have it.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't feel the phones are neglected as far as updates because the proof is in the pudding, we get frequent updates. But I can see his/her point on phones reaching their EOL so fast. You sign up for a 2 year contract to get the best deals and within 6 or 7 months your phone has reached it's EOL. I think something we tend to always fail to see here in the forum is that 99% of smartphone users don't root their phones to take advantage of all that android truly has to offer. So if I can put myself into the mindset of a non-rooted user, I can definitely see where it would be frustrating to have a phone that has "officially" reached it's EOL within months of buying it and now you have to wait another year and a half to upgrade or bite the bullet and pay full retail. Now granted for us rooters a phone never truly reaches it's EOL thanks to the awesome dev community we have but the EOL phones do reach an official end of development. That being said, I don't think this in anyway will be the downfall of Android. I think Android has secured it's place among the big boys in the smartphone market.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid X! My buddy just got one and I'm sooo jealous of the screen......what are you complaining about again? Its not like you have a neglected Eris. You could have bought an iPhone 4 with its wall of apps.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Droid X! My buddy just got one and I'm sooo jealous of the screen......what are you complaining about again? Its not like you have a neglected Eris. You could have bought an iPhone 4 with its wall of apps.

Yea I have to say, eris owners really got the raw end of the deal. Although eris owners kind of did it to themselves. It was out at the same time the D1 came out. They chose the less advanced device and essentially got just that. Can't expect a phone like that to keep up with the big dogs.

GT944

Reaction score
Don't hate the player hate the game. Regardless of what carrier, operating system, manufacturer, smart phone, dumb phone, its always going to be the same.

tappin and a talkin

Truth. With tech gadgets as cheap as they are (relatively) it doesn't look like there's going to be a slowdown of phone model replacement in the foreseeable future. Like it was said in this thread - the phone still works, if you like it, just be happy!

Sent from my ADR6300

lpulle

Reaction score
Being said that the droid (android) is young- -how did you guys & gals get to know to hack it so soon

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
K

kingsway8605

Reaction score
There's still hope the D1 will get GB and most devicess launched after should definately get it. The issue with updates is not with google, they are doing a good job. Heck the iphone get 1 update a year...and not always a major one. The D1 is still relevant. Even though its not on the shelf anymore doesn't mean its not supported. Just because technology moves fast doesn't mean there's a problem. If you have a D1 you will be fine until your NE2 and when you do upgrade you will have a device by and far way superior to what you left. Be happy knowing that.

Sent from somewhere...

Google is not doing a good job. They could demand better update cycle a requirement or at least more transperancy for carrying the google branded android. And verizon has confirmed that they are not sure that they well provide the gb update, even to the newer phones. And just because I know someone is going to say it, yes android is open source, but in order for it to carry the google brand, google has to approve it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's still hope the D1 will get GB and most devicess launched after should definately get it. The issue with updates is not with google, they are doing a good job. Heck the iphone get 1 update a year...and not always a major one. The D1 is still relevant. Even though its not on the shelf anymore doesn't mean its not supported. Just because technology moves fast doesn't mean there's a problem. If you have a D1 you will be fine until your NE2 and when you do upgrade you will have a device by and far way superior to what you left. Be happy knowing that.

Sent from somewhere...

Google is not doing a good job. They could demand better update cycle a requirement or at least more transperancy for carrying the google branded android. And verizon has confirmed that they are not sure that they well provide the gb update, even to the newer phones. And just because I know someone is going to say it, yes android is open source, but in order for it to carry the google brand, google has to approve it.

Where has Verizon confirmed it may not carry the update? And how is it confirmed if it's still open ended?

Google branded Android.... I don't know if you've heard, but GB and above is supposed to work toward using a more 'Google' Android relying less on mfg's UI's.

Technology creates these quick EOL cycles, not Verizon or any other carrier.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Where did you read that verizon wasn't updating newer phone to GB? Link please....

And as for google forcing updates...well that's unreasonable. The nature of the system doesn't call for it. Motorola has done a good job, as for the others I agree they have dropped the ball. But the update issue is on the manufacturers.

Besides, no where does it say you are entitled to software updates. Google has said after honeycomb the updates will slow down anyways so maybe the manufacturers will catch up. Who knows,

Sent from somewhere...

OP
K

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Pp
Where did you read that verizon wasn't updating newer phone to GB? Link please....

And as for google forcing updates...well that's unreasonable. The nature of the system doesn't call for it. Motorola has done a good job, as for the others I agree they have dropped the ball. But the update issue is on the manufacturers.

Besides, no where does it say you are entitled to software updates. Google has said after honeycomb the updates will slow down anyways so maybe the manufacturers will catch up. Who knows,

Sent from somewhere...

Verizon hasn't confirmed or denied. They said they are not sure. Google verizon gingerbread android, there are like 100 articles on it.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Pp

Sent from somewhere...

Verizon hasn't confirmed or denied. They said they are not sure. Google verizon gingerbread android, there are like 100 articles on it.

Glanced at a few and yeah, vzw can't say what will or won't yet. They have to get the builds from manufacturers and test for quality purposes. If it doesn't meet their quality stamdard they won't release it. That's all that these allude too.

Sent from somewhere...

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
100 articles? Yet they haven't confirmed or denied?....... if you don't like it don't buy it. That's the power of the purse. Go buy an iPhone & write a complaint to Verizon about how your perceived lack of updates doomed your Droid X or something........lawlz