Android will fail without update reform

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by kingsway8605, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

What's with all the "ifs"? When has it been crippling? Specifically. There shouldn't be any ifs because all this stuff has already happened. Is android dead? No. Is it dying? No. When I don't like the way a product is supported I don't buy it. If anything I think android might fail because they' don't make me use QuickTime.......lawlz. This is just a flame bait post. If you want people to agree with you on the topic of "Android will fail...." post it on ihazgivenstevejobsmymoneynowizcool.net

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Not having a top dog might actually be a problem, but even though the Droid was top dog at one point in time I doubt it'll get updates for the whole 2 years that the contract we signed was for. As for patching a security hole, if you've noticed, phones have gotten plenty of small updates that fixed bugs and other little problems much more quickly than switching to an updated version of the OS. All the manufacturers have to do is change a small bit of code so it wouldn't really take them that long compared to as long as updating the whole OS does. Plus, as long as it's taking manufacturers to update, I'm pretty sure Google will have found the security hole before the manufacturers even finish writing the code for the update lol. In theory, it is a good point though, we just haven't seen it actually happen in real life.
  3. UNC

UNC New Member

Nope, we haven't seen it happen yet, but as android becomes more fragmented with different implementations it becomes more of a possibility.

I'm very thankful that you took the time to write all that out without any fanboy bias!

And btw I think droid 1 will remain the #1 android device for atleast the full two years after its release. Now the phones come in bunches with ads being for the droid line, not an individual phone. I realize the Eris came out with the droid, but let's be serious the ads were all Droid all the time. We can look back on my prediction later!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Better get in my bomb shelter
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

My understanding was that MS made DOS, which was made to run on the IBM PC. IBM made a business decision to license out their technology so others could make it. That licensing allowed others manufactures to quite literally copy IBM's machines (With alterations, of course), and thus continue to have more and more machines that ran Microsoft DOS (which was the OS at the time). Evolving from DOS to Windows was just a simple evolutionary step at that point.

Your point about Android is valid though. Take a look at manufacturers like Velocity. They make a tablet called the Micro Cruz, with a totally non-standard processor chip. The problem is the kernel doesn't quite run well on the chip they used, so many apps/games won't run, let alone even install on the Micro Cruz Tablet.
  6. UNC

UNC New Member

The Micro Cruz is a great example of what I was talking about. Alot of the Hong Kong specials are like that.
  7. aceofspades

aceofspades New Member

All I can say is that I really like my Eris because it does what I need. I got it cheap since my "new every 2" kicked in, and I sure as hell ain't trying to compete with anyone over what phone I have. To each their own.
  8. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

The Eris is a great phone. It could just use an update from HTC. It kind of got lost in their lineup.
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I'll write that down next to my ex-wifes birthday...
  10. harrellj

harrellj New Member

One note, even if a phone is no longer officially supported, that doesn't stop the hacking community from supporting it. For an example, look at the G1. You can get CM6.1 for it still, even though officially it doesn't even support Eclair, let alone Froyo.
  11. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

Many of the new android phones have locked bootloaders. This means custom roms like cyanogen cannot be flashed. The sole reason for this is so the phone companies can force you to upgrade hardware to get the new open source software. How am i the only one that the seriously pisses off?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  12. medwa

medwa New Member

LOL

Posted from my Droid Incredible
  13. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

Seriously it doesn't matter what kind of phone you have, give em all 6 months and something bigger and better comes out. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. At least android devices have updates pushed by manufacturers and a bunch of people figuring out how to customize them. I say android is far from dead.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

This is so true when it comes to the general public and updates for their phones.

About the Micro Cruz comparison.... I dont know how much one costs but if its priced lower, alot lower than the Galaxy S Tab there cant be too much talk about fragmentation with it. Some ppl will see Samsung and Micro Cruz and say "well, u just paying for the name with Samsung". Some ppl will see it as you get what you pay for...

Thats what happens with the choices with Android. I think as long as they are priced accordingly consumers should be able to tell whats high end and whats not.

I do kinda agree with you UNC about choice. I always believe choice is good, always......but sometimes it can be a bad thing with Android. Ppl that dont research or just dont know will probably not like Android if they get a phone with lower specs, old software. But, as long as it does what the person who bought it wants, even lower specs shouldnt be a problem. I wanna remind all those in a big "Froyo for the Fascinate" thread about that. Yea 2.2 has some features and improvements, but if your phone works fine as is, dont worry about it.

Look at the LG Ally, came out around the time the Inc and X did. They are not in same category tho. I dont know if Flash will even run on the Ally. I just saw its marketed as 'mid-range" tho, which is good. Market these Android devices accordingly...

The difference on my Droid 1 from 2.1 to 2.2 was so nice I immediately deleted all 2.1 ROMs I had...lol I cant imagine what its like to be still on 1.6...

But again, the update things goes back to what I quoted above.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010