Apple clowns Android for slow updates

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
CBImages

Apple talked about how slow Android and Windows are to upgrade their devices. And as much as we would like to remind them how quick Nexus devices get updates we still have companies like Samsung sitting on updates like buried treasure. The reality is that Android as a whole continues to struggle with getting out swift updates to customers and there are many factors that are the blame. At the end of the day say what you would about Apple but they do a great job handling their updates in house, something I wish we could do better with android devices outside of Nexus devices.

Source: Apple burns Android and Windows for slow upgrades

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
But it's not Google(Android) holding up most of the updates. It's the carriers. So he should be mocking VZW, ATT and TMO.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But it's not Google(Android) holding up most of the updates. It's the carriers. So he should be mocking VZW, ATT and TMO.

True, and that is where Apple got it right by keeping control of the software updates. Google has been able to do that with the nexus. Unfortunately the nexus is not the most widely used device.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That goes into an Open Source debate. Which one is better, nobody really knows.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
While I agree wholeheartedly about blaming the carriers and even the OEMs on some occasions, the average user doesn't know there's a difference, so I guess I can't fault him for generalizing...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is Google for allowing it for SO MANY years. We've been having this debate forever. Fragmentation is ultimately Google's fault for allowing it.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why should Google have to worry when OEMs start to push out updates, they're responsible for the Nexus line and that's it. Google isn't building and distributing every Android device. How many low end Android phones are out there because OEMs can't stop pushing out devices? Google says here you go OEMs, do with it as you please. It's almost like raising a child (which I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out), you can tell them every move to make, but at some point they have to learn for themselves what's hurting them.

I'm wholeheartedly on the OEM/carrier blame train. Android is not iOS, and Google is not Apple. While there are similarities, they differ greatly on their approach. Apple has more control over their one phone, but that's all you get is one option. Google gives you choice, but that also means you can make the wrong choice. It also means OEMs have a choice to maintain their product borrowing the OS. If Apple and Google both went the same route, there wouldn't be such a huge rivalry, which ultimately pushes both sides to compete. And ultimately give us great devices.

Google does a great job keeping their products up to date, their products are the Nexus line. Google can't and shouldn't control what Samsung, Motorola or any other OEM puts over the top of Android outside a Nexus, that falls on the OEM or the carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why should Google have to worry OEMs start to push out updates, they're responsible for the Nexus line and that's it. Google isn't building and distributing every Android device. How many low end Android phones are out there because OEMs can't stop pushing out devices? Google says here you go OEMs, do with it as you please. It's almost like raising a child (which I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out), you can tell them every move to make, but at some point they have to learn for themselves what's hurting them.

I'm wholeheartedly on the OEM/carrier blame train. Android is not iOS, and Google is not Apple. While there are similarities, they differ greatly on their approach. Apple has more control over their one phone, but that's all you get is one option. Google gives you choice, but that also means you can make the wrong choice. It also means OEMs have a choice to maintain their product borrowing the OS. If Apple and Google both went the same route, there wouldn't be such a huge rivalry, which ultimately pushes both sides to compete. And ultimately give us great devices.

Google does a great job keeping their products up to date, their products are the Nexus line. Google can't and shouldn't control what Samsung, Motorola or any other OEM puts over the top of Android outside a Nexus, that falls on the OEM or the carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Very good point.

I'm hoping Samsung gets the hint. But even then no matter how fast an OEM pushes an update the carriers are in the way. At the end of the day the more cooks you have in the kitchen the longer things take.

I thought things would be different as I saw things improving. Unfortunately the reality is that the only way to stay up to date is to go nexus. Any other device, especially carrier devices expect to not get updates in a reasonable manner (Motorola has been the exception as of late).

Only time I'm OK with slow updates would be of Google released a buggy update then it would be better to hold the masses to the current software to avoid angering people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With carriers now going away from discounted updates, and devices being released in one version, able to be used on any carrier, the Nexus line is just as relevant as any flagship device. Assuming that's your flavor. But again, you can choose to stay up to date and maybe miss out on some of the features an OEM might have implemented, or you can choose a feature and risk not being up to date. It's all about choice. I don't think the iPhone is incredibly feature packed like some flagship Android phones, so in that way, going Nexus is like going with the iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With carriers now going away from discounted updates, and devices being released in one version, able to be used on any carrier, the Nexus line is just as relevant as any flagship device. Assuming that's your flavor. But again, you can choose to stay up to date and maybe miss out on some of the features an OEM might have implemented, or you can choose a feature and risk not being up to date. It's all about choice. I don't think the iPhone is incredibly feature packed like some flagship Android phones, so in that way, going Nexus is like going with the iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Agree.

But it is like with android you still have to make the choice between feature rich phones (ie Samsung) and fast updates. I'm not expecting Samsung to update my phone as fast as a nexus but at this day and age with Google kicking out developer versions, there is no excuse for high end smartphones (that cost more than nexus phones) to take 6-8 months to get updates.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Agree.

But it is like with android you still have to make the choice between feature rich phones (ie Samsung) and fast updates. I'm not expecting Samsung to update my phone as fast as a nexus but at this day and age with Google kicking out developer versions, there is no excuse for high end smartphones (that cost more than nexus phones) to take 6-8 months to get updates.

Edit

Timely updates

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree.

Samsung is a bad example to use. Be it Android or their own Tizen they just don't seem to put any kind of emphasis on updates. If they dumped Android and went Tizen on their phones it'd be the same thing. I have a Tizen based watch I know the headaches
I still say this is up to Google to fix. Their reputation is on the line, not Samsung or their carriers. Google has done a good job of getting updates to manufacturers faster, carriers are getting faster at pushing them out once they receive them and everybody but Samsung is getting faster at pushing them to the carriers.
Samsung tried Tizen on some phones in the past and they utterly flopped so Google needs not be concerned that if they push the issue with Samsung they'll drop Android.
With almost 0 effort being put forth by Google in the Nexus line to boost sales that to me says Google has little interest in Android as a revenue generator, their ultimate goal with everything they do so I don't look to see them change anything about fragmentation.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They make enough revenue off of the user data & advertising they get from Android users.

Let's not forget that they're an advertising company who happens to also be a tech leader.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk