How Android Wear can become more

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
android-wear_3034745b.jpg
After watching Apple's event last week I begin to look back at the android side and was reminded where Apple continues to succeed and android fails. One of my biggest complaints about android was in the area of accessories. Because android is so diverse and is constantly evolving it makes it tougher for manufacturers to get on board with providing accessories that support android devices. Thankfully with the improvement of bluetooth technology we are seeing the gap between android and apple accessories shrink. As we embark on a new era of technology with wearables I could not help to see how yet again Apple achieved where android continues to fail. If you look at the Apple watch, despite their crazy interface, they managed to set a standard with their watch bands which will allow 3rd party companies to get on board to support the devices. Android wear devices could benefit if they were to set a standard where watch band manufacturers could create bands that consumers can buy whether they own a LG, Moto, or Samsung.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-wear_3034745b.jpg
After watching Apple's event last week I begin to look back at the android side and was reminded where Apple continues to succeed and android fails. One of my biggest complaints about android was in the area of accessories. Because android is so diverse and is constantly evolving it makes it tougher for manufacturers to get on board with providing accessories that support android devices. Thankfully with the improvement of bluetooth technology we are seeing the gap between android and apple accessories shrink. As we embark on a new era of technology with wearables I could not help to see how yet again Apple achieved where android continues to fail. If you look at the Apple watch, despite their crazy interface, they managed to set a standard with their watch bands which will allow 3rd party companies to get on board to support the devices. Android wear devices could benefit if they were to set a standard where watch band manufacturers could create bands that consumers can buy whether they own a LG, Moto, or Samsung.
Used to be you could get swag for devices for a few bucks, chargers for under $10 everywhere, etc.
Apple also corned the market on charging $50 for a $2 accessory.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Real issue is that Apple only makes Apple Devices like the Apple Watch so the control the whole Process. Have So many MFG for Android there is going to be variations. No one will want their device the same as the others. they all want to stand out. Not sure how it will go but I think the Moto360 is still the nicest Android Wearable and maybe they can set the standard.

Edwin Bos

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
More choice in watches does seems like a good thing, as long as they make some cool new models. Most don't really look appealing atm...

New features are nice though.

dwhisent

Reaction score
As far as watch bands... from what I understand, you can buy watch bands for the Moto 360 that are readily available online and in stores, changeable with standard watch band tools. I have a Pebble Steel watch band on order that has been verified to fit. Others have reported other metal and leather bands that fit it right off the shelf, they don't have to be specially made for it. Not sure about the LG and Samsung, though.