Apple Buys Chomp and Discontinues it For Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chomp-discontinued-on-android-by-apple.png

For Android fans who happened to use the app searching service Chomp, you may find this news irritating. Apparently, in a bid to improve the application search and discovery features within its App Store, Apple bought Chomp. Now, after buying it, Apple decided to shut it down on Android. It has even been removed from the Google Play Store entirely. It's interesting to note that Chomp was also partnered up with Verizon to power their personal app store marketplace, but there has been no word on how/if that relationship will change. More than likely, since Verizon now sells Apple iPhones, there would be no reason to stop the service on Verizon devices, since Apple simply discontinued it on Android.

It is likely that most Android users won't really be affected by this much, but we would still like to hear your opinion on this.

Source: BGR and Chomp

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good for the developer of Chomp. But for me... meh. If I didn't hear or use it before, I probably won't miss it now.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I read the title and thought "Why the hell would Apple buy an SMS app?"

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
Jakebyte mods, angel's tweaks, custom prop mods
-Kaw Kaw-

meishkov

Reaction score
Good for the developer of Chomp. But for me... meh. If I didn't hear or use it before, I probably won't miss it now.

Same here. Only thing that irritates me is apple trying to chip away at android's awesomeness any way that they can. Maybe they don't like the way the trial between Google and oracle is going? That trial should be on court TV, or whatever the hell its called now.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
meh, if Apple wants to get dirty Google will just remove GApps from the iphone, block google searching from iOS/MacOS...people would be mighty pissed at apple if they can't use their GMail account. Obviously that's an extreme that probably won't happen, but if apple wants to take it that far, Google can shut em down

kptphalkon

Reaction score
@AuxiliaryPie

Google can't alienate an entire userbase because they aren't on Android smartphones (I don't think that's legal....it reeks of antitrust). And why would they want to shut down searches from iOS machines? This is about an app market search function, nothing special....

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
Jakebyte mods, angel's tweaks, custom prop mods
-Kaw Kaw-

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Obviously that's an extreme that probably won't happen, but if apple wants to take it that far, Google can shut em down

@AuxiliaryPie

Google can't alienate an entire userbase because they aren't on Android smartphones (I don't think that's legal....it reeks of antitrust). And why would they want to shut down searches from iOS machines? This is about an app market search function, nothing special....

maybe you missed the bold red text where i said its an EXTREME example that probably WON'T HAPPEN. herp derp

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had to delete some posts, let's keep it civil here please.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

trumpet444

Reaction score
While its probably illegal (for Google to shutdown access to their services to users that aren't on android or are on ios/osx) I don't think it should be. I know its dirty but if the stockholders have no problem with it, they should be able to. Again, I wouldn't agree with the tactic AND it WOULD be a dumb business move......I'm just saying it shouldn't be illegal for a company to do with their products what they want.......just the same as apple shutting down the android portion of chomp

trumpet444

Reaction score
Just a thought, someones going to half-butt read this thread and think Google is actually doing that now. Hahaha

bigdad63

Reaction score
Same olds stuff, apple sucks. This should help the meditation go more smoothly I'm sure

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
maybe you missed the bold red text where i said its an EXTREME example that probably WON'T HAPPEN. herp derp

Wow guy...you posted it as a possibility, extreme or not, so why criticize the guy for responding to the statement weather you stated it was extreme or not. We are all here for discussion so what is the harm in discussing the possibility? Sorry to the mods if you feel you need to edit this but I kept it clean rather then actually stating what I was really thinking. :p

As for the news, I assume, based on the fact ChompSMS was not mentioned, that ChompSMS has nothing to do with this and the name is simply a coincidence?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
First I thought it was ChompSMS, and I was like *insert unfriendly words*, but then I saw it was this, and was like okay.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Wow guy...you posted it as a possibility, extreme or not, so why criticize the guy for responding to the statement weather you stated it was extreme or not. We are all here for discussion so what is the harm in discussing the possibility? Sorry to the mods if you feel you need to edit this but I kept it clean rather then actually stating what I was really thinking. :p

As for the news, I assume, based on the fact ChompSMS was not mentioned, that ChompSMS has nothing to do with this and the name is simply a coincidence?

there is no harm in discussion, there is harm in open flaming, such as what that user said