Android will fail without update reform

UNC

Reaction score
My understanding was that MS made DOS, which was made to run on the IBM PC. IBM made a business decision to license out their technology so others could make it. That licensing allowed others manufactures to quite literally copy IBM's machines (With alterations, of course), and thus continue to have more and more machines that ran Microsoft DOS (which was the OS at the time). Evolving from DOS to Windows was just a simple evolutionary step at that point.

Your point about Android is valid though. Take a look at manufacturers like Velocity. They make a tablet called the Micro Cruz, with a totally non-standard processor chip. The problem is the kernel doesn't quite run well on the chip they used, so many apps/games won't run, let alone even install on the Micro Cruz Tablet.

The Micro Cruz is a great example of what I was talking about. Alot of the Hong Kong specials are like that.

aceofspades

Reaction score
All I can say is that I really like my Eris because it does what I need. I got it cheap since my "new every 2" kicked in, and I sure as hell ain't trying to compete with anyone over what phone I have. To each their own.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Eris is a great phone. It could just use an update from HTC. It kind of got lost in their lineup.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Mark my words...the lack of transperancy regarding updates and the quick end of life dates will kill Android.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'll write that down next to my ex-wifes birthday...

harrellj

Reaction score
One note, even if a phone is no longer officially supported, that doesn't stop the hacking community from supporting it. For an example, look at the G1. You can get CM6.1 for it still, even though officially it doesn't even support Eclair, let alone Froyo.

OP
K

kingsway8605

Reaction score
One note, even if a phone is no longer officially supported, that doesn't stop the hacking community from supporting it. For an example, look at the G1. You can get CM6.1 for it still, even though officially it doesn't even support Eclair, let alone Froyo.

Many of the new android phones have locked bootloaders. This means custom roms like cyanogen cannot be flashed. The sole reason for this is so the phone companies can force you to upgrade hardware to get the new open source software. How am i the only one that the seriously pisses off?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Seriously it doesn't matter what kind of phone you have, give em all 6 months and something bigger and better comes out. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. At least android devices have updates pushed by manufacturers and a bunch of people figuring out how to customize them. I say android is far from dead.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see what you're saying and your probably right but that's not the point. I don't care all that much about updates and I don't think too many average users do either. For example my girlfriend has the g1 which still runs 1.6 and not once has she said to me
"You know what I hate about android/htc? The fact that I haven't gotten an update since the dawn of man"
In fact what she has told me is that shes itching to get the g2. I don't think the average user cares all that much about updates or even really pays attention to what they are/when they're coming, they just wake up one day with an update notification, pull it, and go on with their day. None of my friends on android os would even know what gingerbread is if it weren't for me yakking on about it forever. Since the average user is the largest chunk of where the money comes from, I find it very hard to believe that a lack of updates will affect android in the slightest.

tappin and a talkin

I have to agree with everyone else. Android will not fail just because a few manufacturers don't update their phones. People who actually take the time to come to a phone forum are the ones who really want the updates because they keep up with what's going on. Out of every one of my friends who has Android, none of them express dismay that they haven't got the newest update. They don't even know about the updates. Every one of the them had an update waiting on their phone and didn't even upgrade to it cause they didn't know what it was. I had to tell them to download it so that way they could use the new features. The average consumer doesn't care about updates which is why this so called "fragmentation" hasn't really slowed Android's growth. Having a phone that is EOL after just a little while does suck, but I'm just going to start signing one year contracts so that I can upgrade after 10 months. Right now it doesn't really bother me though because I have an OG Droid and I'll probably have GB before people with the newer phones anyway. You gotta love an unlocked bootloader and great developers. If the pace is really bothering you that much though, perhaps the iPhone is the phone for you. I'll admit that it's a great device, but it's just not for me. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be perfect for you though.

This is so true when it comes to the general public and updates for their phones.

About the Micro Cruz comparison.... I dont know how much one costs but if its priced lower, alot lower than the Galaxy S Tab there cant be too much talk about fragmentation with it. Some ppl will see Samsung and Micro Cruz and say "well, u just paying for the name with Samsung". Some ppl will see it as you get what you pay for...

Thats what happens with the choices with Android. I think as long as they are priced accordingly consumers should be able to tell whats high end and whats not.

I do kinda agree with you UNC about choice. I always believe choice is good, always......but sometimes it can be a bad thing with Android. Ppl that dont research or just dont know will probably not like Android if they get a phone with lower specs, old software. But, as long as it does what the person who bought it wants, even lower specs shouldnt be a problem. I wanna remind all those in a big "Froyo for the Fascinate" thread about that. Yea 2.2 has some features and improvements, but if your phone works fine as is, dont worry about it.

Look at the LG Ally, came out around the time the Inc and X did. They are not in same category tho. I dont know if Flash will even run on the Ally. I just saw its marketed as 'mid-range" tho, which is good. Market these Android devices accordingly...

The difference on my Droid 1 from 2.1 to 2.2 was so nice I immediately deleted all 2.1 ROMs I had...lol I cant imagine what its like to be still on 1.6...

But again, the update things goes back to what I quoted above.

Last edited: