Amazon

HTC1

Reaction score
If I add a line for the penny sale can I put the device on my old line and put a dumb phone on the amazon added line without paying the $250 amazon fee

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

mightybrick

Reaction score
If I add a line for the penny sale can I put the device on my old line and put a dumb phone on the amazon added line without paying the $250 amazon fee

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
I *think* as long as the phone was activated on the new line first, you could then switch it to your line and then put a dumb phone on the new line without any trouble. That's how it typically works, but I don't know if Amazon has any different requirements.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I doubt it. It's probably contingent upon you having a data plan on that line also and you're not going to need smartphone data on that line with a dumb phone. The reason Amazon's phones are so cheap is because they get money from Verizon for bringing in customers. I'm pretty sure they get more for people who get data than people who get dumb phones. So that would probably be considered a change that would make you have to pay more. Read the fine print to make sure before you try to do it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I doubt it. It's probably contingent upon you having a data plan on that line also and you're not going to need smartphone data on that line with a dumb phone. The reason Amazon's phones are so cheap is because they get money from Verizon for bringing in customers. I'm pretty sure they get more for people who get data than people who get dumb phones. So that would probably be considered a change that would make you have to pay more. Read the fine print to make sure before you try to do it.

Right, you are. Confirmed the same tonight with an Amazon supervisor. The phone number AND the data plan chosen at the time of purchase for $0.01 must remain on the purchased phone for 181 days or you will be charged $250 by Amazon. ALSO, the new phone number activated on Verizon by Amazon must remain active for the 2-year plan terms or Verizon will charge you an early termination fee of $350, reduced by $10 for each month completed of the minimum 24. So for example, if you terminate the new phone number after the anniversary of the 6 months (181 days), you will escape the Amazon $250 charge, but you will suffer a $290 charge from Verizon.

If you move the phone from the phone number assigned by Amazon within the 181 days, you will pay Amazon $250. If you try to move your existing unlimited data plan from your existing phone number to the new phone on the new number, again you'll suffer the $250 Amazon fee. I've been told you can't even do this by a Verizon Wireless representative over the phone, however I did read a post where someone went to the phone center store and the staffmember simply burned him a new SIM card with the unlimited data plan on it to go into the new phone. This may work to keep the unlimited data plan with the new phone number, but it still violates Amazon's terms and conditions and will result in him being charged back the $250 (again confirmed by an Amazon Wireless supervisor). He's in for a big surprise.

Any way you slice it, you have to keep the new number AND the new data plan for at least 6 months (181 days) or you'll wind up paying $250.01 in total to Amazon for the phone when all is said and done. :blink:

Even worse, if you have an existing unlimited data plan, you can't put the new phone on it for the 6 months, so the least expensive option for data with Amazon is $30 for 4GB of data/month. Add that new expense to the existing data plan which you MUST keep active with Verizon for that same 6 months, or you'll lose your grandfathering. If you did shut it down, Verizon apparently will allow you to recapture the grandfathering if you do so within 2 months, so you can slice about $60 off the expense for the 6 months by shutting it down for 2 of the 6, but it's still $120 in additional data charges to keep that grandfathering until you can move the phone without suffering the Amazon chargeback.

Last edited:

proangler

Reaction score
Wow foxkat that was a mouthfull..lol..but you are right. Just get the phone from Verizon and upgrade a line. That's what I'm gonna do. Update my daughters line switch the phone to mine and give her my thunderbolt.

natezire71

Reaction score
Right, you are. Confirmed the same tonight with an Amazon supervisor. The phone number AND the data plan chosen at the time of purchase for $0.01 must remain on the purchased phone for 181 days or you will be charged $250 by Amazon. ALSO, the new phone number activated on Verizon by Amazon must remain active for the 2-year plan terms or Verizon will charge you an early termination fee of $350, reduced by $10 for each month completed of the minimum 24. So for example, if you terminate the new phone number after the anniversary of the 6 months (181 days), you will escape the Amazon $250 charge, but you will suffer a $290 charge from Verizon.

If you move the phone from the phone number assigned by Amazon within the 181 days, you will pay Amazon $250. If you try to move your existing unlimited data plan from your existing phone number to the new phone on the new number, again you'll suffer the $250 Amazon fee. I've been told you can't even do this by a Verizon Wireless representative over the phone, however I did read a post where someone went to the phone center store and the staffmember simply burned him a new SIM card with the unlimited data plan on it to go into the new phone. This may work to keep the unlimited data plan with the new phone number, but it still violates Amazon's terms and conditions and will result in him being charged back the $250 (again confirmed by an Amazon Wireless supervisor). He's in for a big surprise.

Any way you slice it, you have to keep the new number AND the new data plan for at least 6 months (181 days) or you'll wind up paying $250.01 in total to Amazon for the phone when all is said and done. :blink:

Even worse, if you have an existing unlimited data plan, you can't put the new phone on it for the 6 months, so the least expensive option for data with Amazon is $30 for 4GB of data/month. Add that new expense to the existing data plan which you MUST keep active with Verizon for that same 6 months, or you'll lose your grandfathering. If you did shut it down, Verizon apparently will allow you to recapture the grandfathering if you do so within 2 months, so you can slice about $60 off the expense for the 6 months by shutting it down for 2 of the 6, but it's still $120 in additional data charges to keep that grandfathering until you can move the phone without suffering the Amazon chargeback.

Wait... Sooooo,

If I were to add a new line on my family plan for a new Galaxy Nexus, then it would get a new phone number, (for the sake of this example, let's call it number X); my current number, (Y). If I were to get the Nexus, (let's say I pay $260 for it), put it on a new line, THEN delete that line, switch the Nexus over to my Y number, I'll be charged by Amazon? or Verizon? I've effectively confused myself. :p

OP
H

HTC1

Reaction score
Etf from Verizon plus 250 from Amazon.....both

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
H

HTC1

Reaction score
That's what brick and mortar means

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums