RAZR for Penny OR wait for Galaxy Nexus?

cebosound

Reaction score
So there are a few days left of the "Penny Pincher" deal with Amazon. I am debating weather to add a 5th line to my family plan; allowing me to get the Razr for a penny.

Or should I wait for the Galaxy Nexus...... (or maybe even a Droid 4) ????

Pricing for the Galaxy Nexus and Droid 4 will more than likely be around $299 (w/2year aggreement).

***Details to consider (for my situation) :
-My current line is up for renewal.
-I have a $10 month special unlimited data plan
-The Penny phone will have to be adding a 5th line. I will have to keep the Razr on that new line for 181 days (per amazon policy) before doing the ESN switch back to my line. THis will cause an additional (roughly) $30/month for 181 days (6months). THen i can do the ESN change, put a dummy non smartphone on the new line, and pay 9.95 for the remaining 18 months of the contract.

So consider these hoops that I will have to jump through to get the Razr for a penny.

The other option is to wait for the galaxy nexus (and/or possibly the Droid4) and just renew my current line ; paying about 300 Bucks.

*********What do you guys think? I only have a few days left before i am forced to pass up the penny deal... I need your help. :)

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
I'd wait for the galaxy nexus which is what I'm gonna do.
Thanks for the input Doctor. .... that is what i think i am going to do also. ...... But that Amazon deal does seem to hard to pass up. ......... Just today I heard (actually read) that The Droid 4 will be releasing the same time as the Nexus. Have you heard of the D4?

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Heard of it but...Galaxy Nexus!

[ ] Motorola Droid: Miui 1.9.30 (BROKEN)
[X] Motorola Droid 2: Liberty 3
[ ] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.2.2

droid doctor

Reaction score
Yes I have but I feel the only things going for the D4 is the 4g and the keyboard. Its just what d3 should have been. In my opinion the D4 is over rated. I have a d2 but ill upgrade to the galaxy nexus when it comes out. It seems that the penny deal is hard to pass up, but you'll end up spending more money on the penny deal than the upgrade. Do you currently own a Motorola device running Gingerbread ?

busab

Reaction score
Don't buy a phone just because its a good deal. Buy what you really desire. It sounds like your heart is with the nexus. Go to her.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Yes I have but I feel the only things going for the D4 is the 4g and the keyboard. Its just what d3 should have been. In my opinion the D4 is over rated. I have a d2 but ill upgrade to the galaxy nexus when it comes out. It seems that the penny deal is hard to pass up, but you'll end up spending more money on the penny deal than the upgrade. Do you currently own a Motorola device running Gingerbread ?
Probably right about the possibly spending more money on the penny deal than the upgrade... that's what i have been trying to figure out. ..... I currently am using a Droid X. I don't have Gingerbread at the moment. I have it rooted and I haven't figured out (or tried) how to add the rom for it. I am a little new to Rooting/Roms/etc .

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Don't buy a phone just because its a good deal. Buy what you really desire. It sounds like your heart is with the nexus. Go to her.

True. but part of me does feel like the Droid Razr might be a great phone also. I am using a Droid X at the moment and feel like this is the best phone I have ever had; so it seems like the Razr is everything the X is plus MUCH MUCH more. ................ Busab, how do you like your RAZR so far?

anthony_rada

Reaction score
I my self will wait for the nexus. I have had a few Motorola devices and have loved them. But we all know what the nexus is packing and I'm sure we are all excited for this. The Droid 4 should've been the Droid 3 that's just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID 3 using droidforums.

busab

Reaction score
True. but part of me does feel like the Droid Razr might be a great phone also. I am using a Droid X at the moment and feel like this is the best phone I have ever had; so it seems like the Razr is everything the X is plus MUCH MUCH more. ................ Busab, how do you like your RAZR so far?

I love my Razr. I have no regrets buying it. So far it has been the best phone I have ever owned. I am getting fantastic battery life out of it and its build quality is fantastic.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
I my self will wait for the nexus. I have had a few Motorola devices and have loved them. But we all know what the nexus is packing and I'm sure we are all excited for this. The Droid 4 should've been the Droid 3 that's just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID 3 using droidforums.
Thanks for the input. I agree about the Droid 4. it should have been 3, but it sounds like a decent option now that it will have a better processor, 4G, and maybe a better keyboard?. ........... yes we are excited about the Nexus. I'm hoping we see verizon announce the release date next week.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
I love my Razr. I have no regrets buying it. So far it has been the best phone I have ever owned. I am getting fantastic battery life out of it and its build quality is fantastic.

Glad you like your Razr. From the reviews and specs, it sounds like a great phone. I know I wouldn't be disappointed with it, if i ended up going that way. thanks.

droid doctor

Reaction score
Probably right about the possibly spending more money on the penny deal than the upgrade... that's what i have been trying to figure out. ..... I currently am using a Droid X. I don't have Gingerbread at the moment. I have it rooted and I haven't figured out (or tried) how to add the rom for it. I am a little new to Rooting/Roms/etc .

Basically the D4 and the razr have gingerbread so it'd be the same on software. Besides the different blur. The hardware would be a little different. But I'd wait for the nexus a whole new user experience.

Joj

Reaction score
Do you have to keep the data for 181 days or keep that line for that time. There was talk when bionic was on the 1 cent sale that you could switch out to a dumb phone on the new line after it was activated and move the new phone to your unlimited line. Anyone done this?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Do you have to keep the data for 181 days or keep that line for that time. There was talk when bionic was on the 1 cent sale that you could switch out to a dumb phone on the new line after it was activated and move the new phone to your unlimited line. Anyone done this?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

You have to keep both service and phone on the line you purchased the phone on for 181 days.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums