Amazon deal... Working the system?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Well I clearly said it's DEFINITELY not more cost efficient, as well as saying the other idea was better, but it does still save some money if you didn't want to have to worry about two lines. However I also had posted that before I saw he said he wanted to keep one for his mother in law. And don't even get me started on working the system, especially not here

I hear ya! lol...
Looks like he's set now though...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

cebosound

Reaction score
as someone mentioned earlier. the problem is that you cannot do any esn switching of the phone from that new line for 181 days or you will get a $250 charge from amazon.

My Situation:
Family plan w/ 5 lines. 1 line is out of contract and not being used. i was thinking cancel that line, then add new line through amazon penny deal. then move new razr (.01) from new line to my line. put an old not smartphone on new line. pay 9.95 for 2 years (that we have been paying anyway :S ) . .............. but i think the problem is not being able to switch esn's because of $250 fee.

???????????????????????????????????

nateohio

Reaction score
as someone mentioned earlier. the problem is that you cannot do any esn switching of the phone from that new line for 181 days or you will get a $250 charge from amazon.

My Situation:
Family plan w/ 5 lines. 1 line is out of contract and not being used. i was thinking cancel that line, then add new line through amazon penny deal. then move new razr (.01) from new line to my line. put an old not smartphone on new line. pay 9.95 for 2 years (that we have been paying anyway :S ) . .............. but i think the problem is not being able to switch esn's because of $250 fee.

???????????????????????????????????

Not true, I did exactly that the last time Amazon was having a penny sale. I did exactly what you're talking about. New smartphone to my line and an old dumb phone to the new line. The ONLY time you'll get hit with the $250 charge is if you cancel the line of service that you open with amazon before 181 days.

You can switch phones in between your lines as much as you want too. Just DONT cancel the new line of service!!

The one thing you gotta do makes it kind of a pain. You must activate the new phone on the new line of service, but after that you have to go into a store and get a new SIM card for your line unless you already have one. But regardless, just make sure of these two things:

1. Make sure to initially activate the new one on the new line.
2. Have a dumb phone on hand to replace it on the line. (I bought one off of craigslist for $10)

AmazonWireless

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

cebosound

Reaction score
Not true, I did exactly that the last time Amazon was having a penny sale. I did exactly what you're talking about. New smartphone to my line and an old dumb phone to the new line. The ONLY time you'll get hit with the $250 charge is if you cancel the line of service that you open with amazon before 181 days.

You can switch phones in between your lines as much as you want too. Just DONT cancel the new line of service!!

The one thing you gotta do makes it kind of a pain. You must activate the new phone on the new line of service, but after that you have to go into a store and get a new SIM card for your line unless you already have one. But regardless, just make sure of these two things:

1. Make sure to initially activate the new one on the new line.
2. Have a dumb phone on hand to replace it on the line. (I bought one off of craigslist for $10)

AmazonWireless

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, maybe it will work. I just tried to call amazon wireless, but it wouldn't even put me in the que. there must be thousands of people trying to get through. i wonder if the razr is even available with the deal any more (or its out of stock). thats the only phone i would do . i really want the galaxy nexus.

I have purchased my last couple phones from walmart in similar fashion, and i was able to move the new phone to the line I wanted with no problems at all.

phenomenon

Reaction score
I received my RAZR for a penny by adding a new line, and am wanting to put it on my primary which has a thunderbolt. I cannot simply swap SIM cards since the RAZR uses the microsim and the Thunderbolt uses the standard. So, how would I go about this without messing up the Amazon contract? Would getting a new sim for both the RAZR and TBolt from a Verizon store and changing numbers that way mess up the 'activation'?

cebosound

Reaction score
I received my RAZR for a penny by adding a new line, and am wanting to put it on my primary which has a thunderbolt. I cannot simply swap SIM cards since the RAZR uses the microsim and the Thunderbolt uses the standard. So, how would I go about this without messing up the Amazon contract? Would getting a new sim for both the RAZR and TBolt from a Verizon store and changing numbers that way mess up the 'activation'?
From what the amazon rep says, there is no way... (181 Days)

OP
WolfBrother

WolfBrother

Reaction score
What I did was switch my current number to the new phone.

Bought a flip phone with no data on it, and switched the amazon new account to that.

So new phone with same number, new phone under contract became a flip phone.

cebosound

Reaction score
That sounds like an Amazon contract breach... based on what Amazon Rep told me. ........... They said their can't be any ESN changes at all from the new line with new smartphone.

.... but in your defense, I am not quite sure how they would know. You would think once the phone is active with verizon you could do what you want. and unless verizon told amazon, they wouldn't know. .... For example I purchased my last phone from Walmart Wireless.... and afterward I called Verizon and did the ESN switch. that part didn't have anything to do with walmart. and i didn't hear anything from them.

But I asked these specific questions to Amazon wireless and Wirefly, and they both told me the same policy. No changes to the line or phone until 181 days.

I guess you'll find out soon if there is a problem....

OP
WolfBrother

WolfBrother

Reaction score
No issues on my end.