advice?

zanshin825

Reaction score
Hi., guys. Long story short... I got a bionic about two months ago. The phone has been great, but my signal consistently sucks. Verizon sent me a replacement, but it's the same issue.

I called again and they sent the problem to the network team, who closed the ticket because it's a known issue with the bionic. They said that the pending update will probably fix it, but they don't know when it's coming.

As a result, they want to send me either a stratosphere or a charge. Because they're both worse phones, I said that won't get it done.

They're going to call me back tomorrow and want me to tell them what it will take to resolve issue. I might start with the razor maxx and work my way down to the resound as they balk. Anything less than that and I'll find a way out of my contract.

So, what should I push for?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a few questions.

1) When you say your signal, do you mean voice or data?
2) If data, are you not getting 4G when you should?
3) What version is GB? .902?

tattooz

Reaction score
I say root it and flash Eclipse ROM on it. Or move to an area with a better signal, lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
Z

zanshin825

Reaction score
I'm rooted, but otherwise stock 902. It's the data signal that's the problem. And I live in Norther NJ, where they have coverage everywhere. They said I should have 4g at least 90 percent of the time, but it's not even 10 percent. The real problem is that it keeps toggling between 3g and a very weak 4g, which makes the wait times suck. Just brutal.

tattooz

Reaction score
I'm rooted, but otherwise stock 902. It's the data signal that's the problem. And I live in Norther NJ, where they have coverage everywhere. They said I should have 4g at least 90 percent of the time, but it's not even 10 percent. The real problem is that it keeps toggling between 3g and a very weak 4g, which makes the wait times suck. Just brutal.
I am in Central, NJ (Hunterdon County). I live on a mountain and honestly, the signal sucks. I am lucky if I get 3G let alone 4g around my house. Best 4G coverage is in Somerville

If you had 2 phones and they are both not right, it is the area you live in, not the phone! Go to Somerville and see if the phone acts that way.

Reaction score
Verizon's map of coverage is a bunch of hooey. There are big spots of low or no cellular signal all over the place where the map shows full red. I live right near Somerville and I agree that the signal is pretty good around town, but go just outside it (toward Raritan/Bridgewater) and suddenly it's spotty. The farther west you go (Branchburg/Whitehouse/Flemington), the worse it is. I agree that the Bionic is partially to blame (bad radio, whatever), but the signal coverage in general is not nearly as good as Verizon would have you believe.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I believe part of this is due to location. I live in San Diego, which was one of the first cities to get 4G. At home it's iffy, but if I go outside 4G is there and at my parent's house it's solid enough to stream a Netflix movie. This has been consistent with all versions of GB. Another phone may solve your problem, but it may not.

OP
Z

zanshin825

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. They're supposed to call in a bit. We'll see how it pans out.

OP
Z

zanshin825

Reaction score
They're sending another Bionic out overnight. They told me that I'm less than quarter mile away from a 4g tower, so it should be 4g. If the new Bionic doesn't work the right way, they'll swap it out for a Razr. Tired of wiping, resetting and packaging phones at this point.

tattooz

Reaction score
They're sending another Bionic out overnight. They told me that I'm less than quarter mile away from a 4g tower, so it should be 4g. If the new Bionic doesn't work the right way, they'll swap it out for a Razr. Tired of wiping, resetting and packaging phones at this point.
Do you have any other phones in your house, wife, kids? How are their signals?

OP
Z

zanshin825

Reaction score
Wife and son have phones and they don't have any issues, though they're 3g. Verizon is basing their assessment on the network in my area and the proximity of towers to my house. I have the same issues regardless of location, though.

Tonik

Reaction score
zanshin825 said:
Wife and son have phones and they don't have any issues, though they're 3g. Verizon is basing their assessment on the network in my area and the proximity of towers to my house. I have the same issues regardless of location, though.

Try locking your phone into 3g/cdma as a test if you have trouble with the new phone. It really sound like 4g is weak in your area.

OP
Z

zanshin825

Reaction score
Got the new phone. Same thing, really. Debating whether I should go back to them for another phone, or just hope that the update helps the issue.

How much of a pain is it to update to the new leak? Maybe I should try that first.

They said they'd swap this out for a razor, but without being able to go with an extended battery, I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade. I don't want to jump from one problem to another.

tattooz

Reaction score
Got the new phone. Same thing, really. Debating whether I should go back to them for another phone, or just hope that the update helps the issue.

How much of a pain is it to update to the new leak? Maybe I should try that first.

They said they'd swap this out for a razor, but without being able to go with an extended battery, I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade. I don't want to jump from one problem to another.

I just did an upgrade 2 weeks ago and had the choice of the Razr or Bionic. They are both very similar but I chose the Bionic. 1 major turn off for me with the razr is the battery is not removable. Doesn't sound like a big deal to most but I like to be able to do a hard reboot every now and then to ensure my phone is running optimal.

As I stated before, where I live there is little to no cell service. I accept it. After loading the .904 leak and Eclipse's 7 ROM, I get 1-2 bars on 3G. While I am home, I am always on WIFI but its good to know that the 1-2 bars are there. Try going that root first. You can always revert back to stock and trade the phone in for the razr or whatever.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's not that hard. Basically you put the file into your external sd card and boot into recovery. Then you select to apply the update. It has nothing to do with rooting, it's as if you got the update OTA.

I just did an upgrade 2 weeks ago and had the choice of the Razr or Bionic. They are both very similar but I chose the Bionic. 1 major turn off for me with the razr is the battery is not removable. Doesn't sound like a big deal to most but I like to be able to do a hard reboot every now and then to ensure my phone is running optimal.

You can do a Hard Reset of a Razr pretty much like with a Bionic. See http://www.freerepairguide.com/hard-reset-motorola-droid-razr.html If you're referring to a battery pull, then that would be Power+Volume Down for 10 seconds.

As I stated before, where I live there is little to no cell service. I accept it. After loading the .904 leak and Eclipse's 7 ROM, I get 1-2 bars on 3G. While I am home, I am always on WIFI but its good to know that the 1-2 bars are there.

Emmm, from what I've seen, the bars have to do with your network signal for the phone and nothing to do with data. See http://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...e_signal_bars___what_do_they_really_mean.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_signal

View attachment 50258

Last edited: