A very easy guide to Rooting, backup, and ROM flashing for the D2....

Reaction score
This is my guide to rooting, backing up, and flashing ROM's on the D2. I have spent a lot of time lately posting replies into threads for doing this and I have been told that my method is very easy to follow. So I thought I would share with all.

Here is the "Nerdslogic" way of doing this including rooting, backup, and ROM flashing....ALL of this can be done from PHONE....no PC required

APPS you will need:
Z4Root....free and I will get to that in a second
Astro File Manager (or similar) free in Market
AppInstaller....free in market
D2 Bootstrap Recovery...free if you download from this link....this too may download as a TXT file. Look in next section for resolution.
http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motorola/droidx/DroidXBootstrap.apk

Rooting the D2:

Download Z4Root 1.3.0 from this link
z4root 1.3.0 (1).apk

It will download as a TXT file....just use Astro and rename the file to an APK by holding down on the file, select edit, rename, and just replace the last 3 letters (TXT) with APK

Go to menu, settings, applications, and check the box next to "Unknown Sources"

Use appinstaller to install Z4Root.

Open Z4Root and click "Permanent Root" if you select Temp your root will be gone when your phone reboots the next time.

The benefit to using Z4Root is should you need to unroot you just open the app and click "unroot"

Backing up your current ROM after root:

1. Open DX\D2 Bootstrap Recovery
  2. Select top option and grant SU Permission....wait for "success" to pop up
  3. Select second option....your phone will reboot
  4. In this menu Volume up and volume down are your navigation and camera = enter....back arrow goes back a level or to previous menu
  5. Navigate to Backup\restore
  6. Select backup....this will take a while...wait till it says backup complete then navigate back to original menu....select reboot

Flashing a new ROM on your D2:

2. Select top option and wait for "success" to pop up
  4. In this menu Volume up and volume down are your navigation and camera = enter....back arrow goes back a level or to previous menu
  5. select "wipe data/factory reset"
  6. Select "yes----delete all data"
  7. Hit back arrow
  8. Select "choose zip from SDCARD"
  9. Find and select ROM you are flashing....for example Liberty1.5 2 or X (depending on if you have a D2 or DX) and hit camera button....wait till install is complete
  10. Use back arrow to get back to main menu and select reboot

That's it.

You can use the first post in this thread for referrence.....there are also instructions for installing themes and more. A lot can be found in the Liberty Toolbox for additional mod's and tweaks.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...an-one-giant-leap-liberty-1-5-2-2-2011-a.html

Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.
Are there any other bootstrap apps for free? I can't seem to find that one.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's the only bootstrapper and the free version was pulled from the developers website.

tappin and a talkin

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the only bootstrapper and the free version was pulled from the developers website.

tappin and a talkin

That is true...but I found it somewhere else. Let me find that link. Personally....with how useful it is, this app SHOULD be bought.

matthskim

Reaction score
http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motoro...XBootstrap.apk

I can not get to this website. Is this site down? If so, is there another way?

Thanks!

shyhayazad

Reaction score
hi

I installed the latest liberty rom on my droid2. during boot the liberty logo shows up and disappears. the display stays black and nothing else happend. what should I do to restore the old rom?

thanks in advance

kota

Reaction score
This is my guide to rooting, backing up, and flashing ROM's on the D2. I have spent a lot of time lately posting replies into threads for doing this and I have been told that my method is very easy to follow. So I thought I would share with all.

Here is the "Nerdslogic" way of doing this including rooting, backup, and ROM flashing....ALL of this can be done from PHONE....no PC required

APPS you will need:
Z4Root....free and I will get to that in a second
Astro File Manager (or similar) free in Market
AppInstaller....free in market
D2 Bootstrap Recovery...free if you download from this link....this too may download as a TXT file. Look in next section for resolution.
http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motorola/droidx/DroidXBootstrap.apk

Rooting the D2:

Download Z4Root 1.3.0 from this link
z4root 1.3.0 (1).apk

It will download as a TXT file....just use Astro and rename the file to an APK by holding down on the file, select edit, rename, and just replace the last 3 letters (TXT) with APK

Go to menu, settings, applications, and check the box next to "Unknown Sources"

Use appinstaller to install Z4Root.

Open Z4Root and click "Permanent Root" if you select Temp your root will be gone when your phone reboots the next time.

The benefit to using Z4Root is should you need to unroot you just open the app and click "unroot"

Backing up your current ROM after root:

2. Select top option and grant SU Permission....wait for "success" to pop up
  5. Navigate to Backup\restore
  6. Select backup....this will take a while...wait till it says backup complete then navigate back to original menu....select reboot

Flashing a new ROM on your D2:

2. Select top option and wait for "success" to pop up
  5. select "wipe data/factory reset"
  6. Select "yes----delete all data"
  7. Hit back arrow
  8. Select "choose zip from SDCARD"
  9. Find and select ROM you are flashing....for example Liberty1.5 2 or X (depending on if you have a D2 or DX) and hit camera button....wait till install is complete
  10. Use back arrow to get back to main menu and select reboot

That's it.

You can use the first post in this thread for referrence.....there are also instructions for installing themes and more. A lot can be found in the Liberty Toolbox for additional mod's and tweaks.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...an-one-giant-leap-liberty-1-5-2-2-2011-a.html

Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.
This worked perfectly on my Droid2 R2D2 thank you so much
all i did was the Z4 Root I may flash at a later date

raven1911

Reaction score
Where is the bootstrap file? I cannot open the link provided. Is there another website to DL it from?

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
hi

I installed the latest liberty rom on my droid2. during boot the liberty logo shows up and disappears. the display stays black and nothing else happend. what should I do to restore the old rom?

thanks in advance

Where is the bootstrap file? I cannot open the link provided. Is there another website to DL it from?

you can buy this from the market for $2 and it is TOTALLY worth every penny.

bigred503

Reaction score
hi so i rooted my d2g with z4root. downloaded the bootstrap recovery and i follow your directions to the T about making a backup but when i hit backup it does its thing then itll freeze on a random file under backing up system data..the download bar freezes and its like its stuck on that file or something. am i missing a step to properly do a backup? i used to have a d1 so im still getting used to this one lol.

like right now as of 12:32pm pacific time its stuck on libsmapi.so. Any help?

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm....I don't know. I would post a thread about this as there are many more skilled D2G guys and gals on this forum to help.

vxx76

Reaction score
So after I did every step correctly, im still stuck at the Liberty boot logo, how long should I wait like this before it should come on?

hellmonkey

Reaction score
So after I did every step correctly, im still stuck at the Liberty boot logo, how long should I wait like this before it should come on?

It should only take 15-20 seconds. I had issues too. Did you go into bootstrapper and delete you cache and data files? I was boot lopping until I did that.

hellmonkey

Reaction score
First -MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!!!!!

You should already have one though.

Go to apps and open bootstrapper app, then click/touch reboot recovery.

Phone should reboot into clockwork recovery. Use volume to m ove up/down, select WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET. hit the camera button to select.

Move down to WIPE CACHE PARTITION, select. Then select reboot. You might have to reinstall Liberty from the zip if it doesnt work right away.