A very easy guide to Rooting, backup, and ROM flashing for the D2....

hellmonkey

Reaction score
The backup is on the sd card under Clockwork. DO NOT delete it since that is your factory image. You can boot into clockwork recovery and restore if need be. This is an entire system image. It includes the OS, apps, settings, everything. You can bounce beteween ROMs and stock in a out 4 minutes if you have a backup of each.

Wiping the cache cleans the phone so its clean for ROM installs. You only need to do this if installing a ROM, not restoring from a backup, at least in my experience.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
You can boot into clockwork recovery and restore if need be.

Hellmonkey- thank you for the help. I appreciate it! I only have one more question for you about this. When you say (see quote^ ) I am needing a little more direction. If my phone crashed and android wouldn't load, therefore I couldn't just open up the droid 2 bootstrapped app, how would I get to the screen with the green letters (where I backed it up at originally) so that I can choose restore instead backup. Would I turn phone on and while its booting press a certain key or what? Sorry for all the questions, im new at this and trying ti catch on!

sent from my droid 2 global using droidforums app

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Clockwork is set to load un an unsuccessful power off, kinda like safe mode prompt and windows. You can. Test this by pulling the battery while the phone is on. It should boot to clockwork.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Clockwork is set to load un an unsuccessful power off, kinda like safe mode prompt and windows. You can. Test this by pulling the battery while the phone is on. It should boot to clockwork.

Thanks for your help. I tried what you said, pulled battery and put it back in and it booted up normal? I am confused because I installed and backed up with droid 2 bootstrapper. Any help guys?

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Was your phone on when you pulled the battery? If not, it wont register and boot into clockwork.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Was your phone on when you pulled the battery? If not, it wont register and boot into clockwork.

Yeah after I read your post I backed out and then just pulled battery out rebooted and it booted normal. Maybe the droid 2 bootstrapper I backed up with doesn't work?

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Hmm, just tried it on my phone and it normal booted as well. I was wrong in my previous post. Clockwork is triggered on an unsuccessful boot, not unsuccessful poweroff. I pulled my battery while my phone was on and it booted normal. Pulled it again while booting and clockwork showed up.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Hmm, just tried it on my phone and it normal booted as well. I was wrong in my previous post. Clockwork is triggered on an unsuccessful boot, not unsuccessful poweroff. I pulled my battery while my phone was on and it booted normal. Pulled it again while booting and clockwork showed up.

Hmmm. I see. That does make sense. I was wondering what I did wrong as I am new to this. Does it hurt your phone to pull the battery when phone is rebooting? And if you do that does it go into that app I used to backup? Droid 2 bootstrapper that I got from the market?

Does that app I previously mentioned work as making what is called a android backup? Or should I pursue that aswell. I just want to be super covered when it comes to backups encase of something messing up! Also, the original droid2global .sbf file, should I dl that aswell?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

hellmonkey

Reaction score
I dont think pulling the battery will hurt anything. Anything unsaved will be lost, like if your are in the middle of a game or editing a document. And yes, it will boot into clockwork.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
I dont think pulling the battery will hurt anything. Anything unsaved will be lost, like if your are in the middle of a game or editing a document. And yes, it will boot into clockwork.

I read somewhere that turning phone off then holding camera key while powering on will launch recovery mode where I could restore the backup I created with d2 bootstrapper but after trying to do it I realized it is not correct. So now im still confused with all this.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Slimpirudude I'm glad your asking all these questions. I've been doing the same all over the forums and have gotten sooo much help. Its like you are reading my mind though. Those were just the questions that I had

Sent from my rooted DROID2

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have removed the link to the free Droid 2 Recovery bootstrap....this app is well worth the money.

I have also updated the first post with a little better instruction as well as walk through for app backup and restore after flashing new ROM

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wiping the cache cleans the phone so its clean for ROM installs. You only need to do this if installing a ROM, not restoring from a backup, at least in my experience.

This is correct. But I do wipe davlik cache after restore or ROM install regardless in an attempt (which always seems to work) to avoid bootloop.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score

This is correct. But I do wipe davlik cache after restore or ROM install regardless in an attempt (which always seems to work) to avoid bootloop.

Thats strange cause that's what I did before installing liberty and I had to sbf. I couldn't get past the boot logo (not the spinning eagle, just Liberty). I was told that it could have been because I wiped dalvik cache. Now I'm confused. I want to get this rom on my d2 but I'm hearing different things from different people. I'll try it again. I can always sbf I suppose

Sent from my rooted DROID2