A very easy guide to Rooting, backup, and ROM flashing for the D2....

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by nerdslogic, Feb 12, 2011.

1. bigred503

bigred503 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi so i rooted my d2g with z4root. downloaded the bootstrap recovery and i follow your directions to the T about making a backup but when i hit backup it does its thing then itll freeze on a random file under backing up system data..the download bar freezes and its like its stuck on that file or something. am i missing a step to properly do a backup? i used to have a d1 so im still getting used to this one lol.

like right now as of 12:32pm pacific time its stuck on libsmapi.so. Any help?

2. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm....I don't know. I would post a thread about this as there are many more skilled D2G guys and gals on this forum to help.

3. vxx76

vxx76 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So after I did every step correctly, im still stuck at the Liberty boot logo, how long should I wait like this before it should come on?

4. hellmonkey

hellmonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0

It should only take 15-20 seconds. I had issues too. Did you go into bootstrapper and delete you cache and data files? I was boot lopping until I did that.

5. vxx76

vxx76 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how do i go about doing that?

6. hellmonkey

hellmonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First -MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!!!!!

You should already have one though.

Go to apps and open bootstrapper app, then click/touch reboot recovery.

Phone should reboot into clockwork recovery. Use volume to m ove up/down, select WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET. hit the camera button to select.

Move down to WIPE CACHE PARTITION, select. Then select reboot. You might have to reinstall Liberty from the zip if it doesnt work right away.

7. vxx76

vxx76 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, did that and hit reboot and it's on the liberty screen so we'll see what happens...

8. vxx76

vxx76 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    woot, done... that was painful, i had a brick, so i had to switch my mac to windows mode and figure out how to sbf my phone back to original 2.3.2, then rooted, then bootstrapped, flashed liberty, works like a charm... thanks for the help my man, i appreciate it... that sucked haha but its so worth it, liberty is the ****

9. hellmonkey

hellmonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, glad its working for you.

10. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    How long does z4root take? Its been trying to root for like 5 mins and still says it is running the exploit. I did choose permanent root.

EDIT: So I exited back to the home screen and tried again. This time it worked in a few secs. So disregard.

#34 Xplorer4x4, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  11. Pepito1134

Pepito1134 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    rooting hacking

Root noob here. Im not totally lost, but its my first smartphone root. Im on the Droid 2 global. Currently in south america. I had to jump through incredible hoops to get this thing to work in the first place so im kinda sketched out by the "bricking" possibility. Example, i had to "unlock the sim" and "activate" it once i turned it on for the first time all without a Verizon number or contract. Then i had to find a carrier that would even consider trying to pick it up, as they looked at me like an alien invader with this foreighn space age phone. Then it was a total struggle and a half to get 3G to pick up, lets just say i couldnt find anybody to manually set my Access Points, so i had to learn how to do that, and figure out what the settings were to connect. And here we are, these fools cant sell me a wifi-hotspot data plan, because they have no clue what a hotspot is. LOL
    So:
    1, do i have to root before i backup? Maybe im missing something, but i just want to know if i would be safer backing up first. Or is it that the root lets me create that backup? Just a little clarification please.
    2, will this root let me access all my currently installed apps and settings and overall look? Im not trying to get my phone to do backflips. I want it to stay as stock as possible which brings me to
    3, will it let my built-in wifi hotspot app finally work? And if not what do i need to read? This is my main goal in rooting... im happy with the phone 99%, the hotspot working would finish it off. And if its free, booya bonus.
    Kthxbai

12. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Does any one have a mirror for the bootstrap for the D2?

Search tags for this page

a very easy guide to rooting droid 2

d2 titanium backup loop

nerdslogic

not a nandroid backup