A very easy guide to Rooting, backup, and ROM flashing for the D2....

vxx76

Reaction score
ok, did that and hit reboot and it's on the liberty screen so we'll see what happens...

vxx76

Reaction score
woot, done... that was painful, i had a brick, so i had to switch my mac to windows mode and figure out how to sbf my phone back to original 2.3.2, then rooted, then bootstrapped, flashed liberty, works like a charm... thanks for the help my man, i appreciate it... that sucked haha but its so worth it, liberty is the ****

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
How long does z4root take? Its been trying to root for like 5 mins and still says it is running the exploit. I did choose permanent root.

EDIT: So I exited back to the home screen and tried again. This time it worked in a few secs. So disregard.

Last edited:

Pepito1134

Reaction score
rooting hacking

Root noob here. Im not totally lost, but its my first smartphone root. Im on the Droid 2 global. Currently in south america. I had to jump through incredible hoops to get this thing to work in the first place so im kinda sketched out by the "bricking" possibility. Example, i had to "unlock the sim" and "activate" it once i turned it on for the first time all without a Verizon number or contract. Then i had to find a carrier that would even consider trying to pick it up, as they looked at me like an alien invader with this foreighn space age phone. Then it was a total struggle and a half to get 3G to pick up, lets just say i couldnt find anybody to manually set my Access Points, so i had to learn how to do that, and figure out what the settings were to connect. And here we are, these fools cant sell me a wifi-hotspot data plan, because they have no clue what a hotspot is. LOL
So:
1, do i have to root before i backup? Maybe im missing something, but i just want to know if i would be safer backing up first. Or is it that the root lets me create that backup? Just a little clarification please.
2, will this root let me access all my currently installed apps and settings and overall look? Im not trying to get my phone to do backflips. I want it to stay as stock as possible which brings me to
3, will it let my built-in wifi hotspot app finally work? And if not what do i need to read? This is my main goal in rooting... im happy with the phone 99%, the hotspot working would finish it off. And if its free, booya bonus.
Kthxbai

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Does any one have a mirror for the bootstrap for the D2?

Would if I had one but its two bucks in the market. Well worth it. just tell someone you'll buy them some mcdonalds for it.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
lol you beat me to the edit, yeah just found it on the market. Should mention this in the first post. This is the correct one right?
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Their's a critic in every crowd, isn't there? ;)

One small thing. You don't need Astro. You can do the same thing with your files that comes preinstalled with the D2.

One big thing: Boot Straps and installing custom ROM's: There is something that is flawed in either the Boot Straps or clockwork. If you try to go back to stock by restoring your back up, it won't work. At least it won't work properly. I suggest you be prepared to sbf back to stock. It's simple and you can get it here: TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

After reading the OP, I was happy to finally get some instructions on rooting with z4root, and creating a complete os and apps EVERYTHING back up...until I read the above post by hookbill.

So hook, what your saying is if I follow these directions given in the OP, (minus flashing a rom) I wont be able to load the back up I saved??

sent from my droid 2 global using droidforums app

krnmc

Reaction score
Hey when u said backing up your ROM after rooting does that mean right after you root? so when we unroot we can flash to stock? or ROM that we flash to? Or is both wrong? lol sorry its been a while since i root / flashed roms and themes. I used to do it on Omnia and Omnia 2 and first droid but that was long time ago><

hellmonkey

Reaction score
You root, reboot into clockwork, backup, wipe data and cache, install ROM, enjoy. If you want to go back to stock, restore from your backup, then unroot.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
You root, reboot into clockwork, backup, wipe data and cache, install ROM, enjoy. If you want to go back to stock, restore from your backup, then unroot.

Hellmonkey,

I rooted, and then wanted to make backup. So I installed droid 2 bootstrapper. Followed directions and made a backup. What all does that include, and where do I find it? If I wanted to restore to that backup, say my phone messed up, how would I restore/boot into the recovery or whatever I would have to.

Also, why do I need to wipe out data and cache? If I do need to how would o go about doing it.

Thanks!!

sent from my droid 2 global using droidforums app