A Thread Of Topics You Would Never Like To See Again

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by hookbill, May 6, 2010.

1. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    dcook12 - thanks for coming back in and sharing some kind words, we all know that takes a lot and it is greatly appreciated :wink:

2. Brandonovich

Brandonovich Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, I think that if the search function on this site worked better. there would be much less duplication. don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for all the work Bill and the others put in, and the wealth of information here. Many times though, the easiest way for me to find information on this site is to type the question into Google, and then look for search results that are on this site. Again, not being an ingrate, but this is my experience, and the reason for some of my duplicate posts.

3. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    The only reason the native D/F search function lacks in results is because members forget to tag their threads - if we all worked towards the same common goal the results would be better - I also use Google and then just add "Droid Forums" to whatever it is that I am searching for...and again key words or "tags" help with the accuracy of that too

BTW - Who is Bill :D

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That's how I do it. That's how I found this thread, I put in Google "a Thread of topics Droid Forums."

The regular search did however turns something up for me the other day that Google didn't. So it's not totally useless, you just got use the advance search.

Another thing that would help is if people tagged their posts. I'm guilty of not doing that too.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I was wondering the same thing.;)

6. jrod1990

jrod1990 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New BB threads...
    Where is Adam Z threads...
    New UD threads...
    What is Root threads...

That is all :)

7. dcook12

dcook12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for understanding and I now feel welcomed back!!! Now can you tell me what tethering means....:icon_ banana:

#175 dcook12, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Feels good doesn't it :happy:

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    task killer threads.... they all need to be piled into a boat and then sank :)

10. dcook12

dcook12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah !! I got plenty more...but will just enjoy everyone else's posts!!! Thanks again!!:)

11. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    But isnt there a better way to implement how searches work? Like for example, if there was a thread I wanted to find that had maybe 5 resplies, but I found very helpful. Lets say I remember that it had the words LCD screen in the title, so I type "LCD screen" in the search, and I get a million threads with screen in the title, and most dont include the word LCD anywhere. Ive been to forums where if you use the quotations around 2 words, it only looks for those two words together, or theres an option that asks if you want your results to return any of the words you searched for or both exactly as typed.

Anyways, not trying to complain. Just thought I'd ask why it can't be done. I know you suggested the tag feature, but lets be honest, most people here dont make more than a few topics just to have a a quick question answered. They wont ever use the tag feature.

12. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am reviving this old topic for a new pet peeve... Newbies whose first post is a question, they get a bunch of us answering (some even spending some time researching the answers), we post follow-up questions for more detail, and the newbie never responds again. When you go to look at their stats, you see they never even logged on again.

Why ask a question if you aren't going to come back and look at the answers?

Just needed to get that off my chest......

Alan