.902 Root

Inous

Reaction score
help please im currently on an old .886 4 ever rooted but stock. i get the update to .893 but everytime i download and update it, my phone says system update failed! i cant seem to get out of 886 can someone please help

go here: Bionic Path Saver 1-Click Method - MyDroidWorld download the pathsaver and extract it, and run (runme.bat) with your phone in charge only mode and debug on.

let it run, it will wipe your system and other things but you will maintain data (apps and settings)

One part that scared me was when i got to a black screen that said "CG: invalid" cant boot or something like that. well, from there you just turn off the phone, hold vol up and down same time then hit the power button, this will bring you to a menu, tap down vol till you get to stock recovery hit up to select, once there hit update from zip and find 893 update.zip and let install.

Once installed you should still have root access and be on 893. Unfortunately when I did this I updated via OTA to 902 and lost root and now have no idea what to do. But this will atleast get you to 893 with forever root. Good Luck!

EDIT: grab this new set of files and add it to the same folder you extracted the pathsaver to and this should fix the root issue

http://www.bionicforums.net/forum/d...ic-path-saver-1-click-method-3.html#post28250

P.S. Overall, everything should take about 15 minutes

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score
hey to i put the update file on the ext sd card went to stocl recovery updated from zip and i got a failed message it says
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
verifying update package...
installing update...
assert failed; file_getprop("/system/build.prop". "ro.build.fingerprint") == 'verizon/targa_vzw/cdma_targa:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_DBN-62
a lot of other stuff lol at the end it says
E:error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted.

any idea why?

That is very strange. Normally those types of errors indicate that something has been modified (system apps deleted, build.prop modified, etc.). At this point you should probably go with one of the pathsaver methods. Sargentmajord's method seems to be having good results.

eap369

Reaction score

eap369

Reaction score
go here: Bionic Path Saver 1-Click Method - MyDroidWorld download the pathsaver and extract it, and run (runme.bat) with your phone in charge only mode and debug on.

let it run, it will wipe your system and other things but you will maintain data (apps and settings)

One part that scared me was when i got to a black screen that said "CG: invalid" cant boot or something like that. well, from there you just turn off the phone, hold vol up and down same time then hit the power button, this will bring you to a menu, tap down vol till you get to stock recovery hit up to select, once there hit update from zip and find 893 update.zip and let install.

Once installed you should still have root access and be on 893. Unfortunately when I did this I updated via OTA to 902 and lost root and now have no idea what to do. But this will atleast get you to 893 with forever root. Good Luck!

EDIT: grab this new set of files and add it to the same folder you extracted the pathsaver to and this should fix the root issue

Bionic Path Saver 1-Click Method - Page 3

P.S. Overall, everything should take about 15 minutes

thanks for your reply but i used sargentmayjords link
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/197374-5-5-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html
and it worked now on 902 and rooted!

eap369

Reaction score
That is very strange. Normally those types of errors indicate that something has been modified (system apps deleted, build.prop modified, etc.). At this point you should probably go with one of the pathsaver methods. Sargentmajord's method seems to be having good results.

thats what i was saying i did use sargentsmajords method and it worked now on 902 and rooted thanks!

madmako

Reaction score
http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip.. i just used this to root my bionic with .902 update .. simple one click and done

In a different post over the weekend, I lamented the fact that despite putting the house back in order (restoring bloatware) and un-rooting with Pete's, the .902 OTA and SD card method both failed. As a result, I was advised to reflash back to the original state of .875 and begin anew with a few intermediate steps/processes along the way.

It was a lot easier to call VZW and get a warranty replacement which will arrive with .902 installed.

Some may argue this was the wrong approach. However, the only reason I got into this rooting business was due to poor execution by Moto and VZW. It was VZW who talked me into Moto superiority over BlackBerry mediocrity. It wasn't my choice to own a device with dismal communication, power management including poor backup capabilities. I was told and sold on the idea that the device will provide solid 3G performance like my BlackBerry and will perform even better when 4G rolled out. I had no idea I was purchasing what would amount to be a Beta product. When simple voice communications, let alone data, are inconsistent, that's not a releasable product.

Somehow or another, the concept of reliability got passed by both Moto and VZW.

So, while I also downloaded Motofail_Windows to root my replacement, I'm very reluctant to do so based on this weekend's experience. Perhaps, the wiser choice is to remain stock, limit apps and wait for ICS sometime later this Spring.

Last edited:

crobs808

Reaction score
So, while I also downloaded Motofail_Windows to root my replacement, I'm very reluctant to do so based on this weekend's experience. Perhaps, the wiser choice is to remain stock, limit apps and wait for ICS sometime later this Spring.

I just downloaded motofail and did it on my unrooted 902, and it is rooted now. All rooted apps work fine now, no errors. I rebooted a couple times to make sure it was permanent. Now I can do the 'OTA Rootkeeper' patch for future updates so root never gets removed.

It is obvious there is a lot of confusion about how this works. I will be creating a new tutorial for the Bionic, as I did for the Vogue a few years back.

Last edited:

jawknee

Reaction score
I was .893 rooted. I downloaded Voodoo OTA RootKeeper from Market. Created a back up of SU in Voodoo OTA RootKeeper. Then temporarily unroot using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. Did the.902 OTA install. Went back to Voodoo OTA RootKeeper and reload the SU backup. Worked perfectly. Took less than 30 minutes and no problems.

gobi42

Reaction score
So im new to moto's but I've owned and rooted an htc hero and evo 4g im also running linux and wondered if anyone has made the 902 root method for us linux folks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
So im new to moto's but I've owned and rooted an htc hero and evo 4g im also running linux and wondered if anyone has made the 902 root method for us linux folks

Doesnt wine work? That program is suppose to all windows programs run on linux

bigmook

Reaction score
Yes.... motofail for the Droid 4 works

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bassman1547

Reaction score
A few Details

Great forum.
My question is about installing Motofail_Windows root method . I am on the unrooted/stock OTA .902. All I want to do is root right now is obtain root.
I have downloaded said file, moved it from my browser download area to my SD card. Reboot to recovery; update from SD card; found the file;selected it, and nothing. What am I doing wrong? I must be missing a step or two. Help? Rename the file (doesn't show up as a zip)??

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Great forum.
My question is about installing Motofail_Windows root method . I am on the unrooted/stock OTA .902. All I want to do is root right now is obtain root.
I have downloaded said file, moved it from my browser download area to my SD card. Reboot to recovery; update from SD card; found the file;selected it, and nothing. What am I doing wrong? I must be missing a step or two. Help? Rename the file (doesn't show up as a zip)??

You cannot flash the Motofail file. You need to extract the contents on your Windows PC (also need to have the Motorola drivers installed), then connect your Bionic in USB Debugging mode. Double-click the run.bat file to begin the rooting process.

bassman1547

Reaction score
You cannot flash the Motofail file. You need to extract the contents on your Windows PC (also need to have the Motorola drivers installed), then connect your Bionic in USB Debugging mode. Double-click the run.bat file to begin the rooting process.

Great! Thanks. Worked like a charm. Easy too, after your instruction. :hail: