2012 razr family update ot kitkat news 4/14/2014

Firemedic67

Reaction score
Not on kk. I'm rooted prior to towelroot. When I run the app to unlock bootloader the word bootloader had a red line appear under the word. It asks to grant permission and I give it that. I turn it off and reboot and still shows locked.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Not on kk. I'm rooted prior to towelroot. When I run the app to unlock bootloader the word bootloader had a red line appear under the word. It asks to grant permission and I give it that. I turn it off and reboot and still shows locked.

you have to be on kk or it will not work. you can use this to flash to kk if you want [SCRIPT] DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.4 KK - Windows/Mac/Linux [Updated 06/16/2014] - xda-developers
you can not ota to kk because you are rooted. removing root will not work, you must flash it away.

Firemedic67

Reaction score
OK. But once I do this I will be able to re-root and get the entitlement check hack back? Thanx for your help ooh wise ninja.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
OK. But once I do this I will be able to re-root and get the entitlement check hack back? Thanx for your help ooh wise ninja.

once done you will be able to root forever by flashing a custom recovery (found in a folder of the flash tool i gave you), then flashing a su zip (forgot to put that in the utility here it is http://www.mediafire.com/download/xfpb67cja347yat/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99.zip ).
you could even go back to jb if you wanted too. you would need a jb recovery instead of the kk ones i provided but the root script is universal.
of course you can always use one of the regular exploits to root if you wish.
as for the entitlement hack. i read somewhere on xda it was working on kk, but you may want to search for it to see what you are dealing with first.
here is a new thread [MOD][4.4.2]Native Tether Hack for build 183.46.10 - xda-developers but there is another one from soon after the kk update.
you could always go back to jb, if you cant figure out how to get one working.
either way, i wouldnt miss this opportunity to unlock.

Hodor

Reaction score
Happy to report that once I heard that the bootloader was unlockable again, I took the plunge and am now on kitkat, rooted AND with a unlocked bootloader! YaY!

Firemedic67

Reaction score
Need some help here. I can't get rid of root to update to kk. I've tried master reset and I tried thru RSD.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe you already have but, I'd read some of the thread posts about KK before going to the trouble. It isn't much to write home about and quite honestly is a step down and back IMO.

Hodor

Reaction score
Maybe you already have but, I'd read some of the thread posts about KK before going to the trouble. It isn't much to write home about and quite honestly is a step down and back IMO.

I do agree with this. I am a bit underwhelmed over how bland kitkat is. Very blah looking, and I hate the new stock messaging app. They should have at least given you the option to switch between a white or black background, such a bright white is hard on your eyes and really eats your battery. Rooting is practically mandatory, motorola, Qualcomm, Google have so many bloat services running now, there's hardly any room left in the poor little 1gig of memory our phones have for anything else! The whole thing feels like a 2nd rate effort just thrown together and pushed out the door. Maybe that's why we can unlock the bootloader again, they were guilty about the terrible job they did on kitkat so they threw us a bone...

lloydsw

Reaction score
I do agree with this. I am a bit underwhelmed over how bland kitkat is. Very blah looking, and I hate the new stock messaging app. They should have at least given you the option to switch between a white or black background, such a bright white is hard on your eyes and really eats your battery. Rooting is practically mandatory, motorola, Qualcomm, Google have so many bloat services running now, there's hardly any room left in the poor little 1gig of memory our phones have for anything else! The whole thing feels like a 2nd rate effort just thrown together and pushed out the door. Maybe that's why we can unlock the bootloader again, they were guilty about the terrible job they did on kitkat so they threw us a bone...

I've been avoiding this update like the plague. But I have to say I find the ability to at last unlock the bootloader very appealing.

hotice

Reaction score
Things should be completely the opposite of what you're talking about. Sure, disable a few apps but KitKat makes the Maxx HD better than it ever was, by a long shot. My phone is faster, more responsive, and just better in every way as far as I can tell. Sorry if you don't like some of the cosmetic changes. They don't bother me.

What you're saying is sort of not possible. KitKat is by far the best version of Android and the largest jump forward in my opinion. They re-optimized the OS and it makes a huge difference. The OS now takes about 14% less RAM than it used to!!! That explains why everyone with a Droid Razr HD, M, or Maxx HD, should notice a real improvement in performance. Since they only have 1GB of RAM the extra free RAM can really help performance. It sure did for me. I can't speak for your phone, your configuration, and the apps you have installed but I can say my Maxx HD is like a new phone - better than it was new by a long shot!!! I'm loving it! Besides the memory optimizations KitKat also gives us the TRIM support that was introduced in Android 4.3. This is also a major selling point as it will improve IO performance in some/many situations for many people. It may take a day or two for you to notice this but it should improve the speed at which apps are updated and keep your phone from getting slower over time, at least on devices that have been used for a while with lots of app installs and uninstalls.

Maybe there is some case, somehow, where this is not true but in general I'm pretty sure that having a phone with 1GB of RAM and not upgrading to Android 4.4 is a huge mistake. Even 4.3 is wise to do just because of the TRIM support. My phone was suffering there. I notice that improvement with faster app installs.

Hodor

Reaction score
Things should be completely the opposite of what you're talking about. Sure, disable a few apps but KitKat makes the Maxx HD better than it ever was, by a long shot. My phone is faster, more responsive, and just better in every way as far as I can tell. Sorry if you don't like some of the cosmetic changes. They don't bother me.

What you're saying is sort of not possible. KitKat is by far the best version of Android and the largest jump forward in my opinion. They re-optimized the OS and it makes a huge difference. The OS now takes about 14% less RAM than it used to!!! That explains why everyone with a Droid Razr HD, M, or Maxx HD, should notice a real improvement in performance. Since they only have 1GB of RAM the extra free RAM can really help performance. It sure did for me. I can't speak for your phone, your configuration, and the apps you have installed but I can say my Maxx HD is like a new phone - better than it was new by a long shot!!! I'm loving it! Besides the memory optimizations KitKat also gives us the TRIM support that was introduced in Android 4.3. This is also a major selling point as it will improve IO performance in some/many situations for many people. It may take a day or two for you to notice this but it should improve the speed at which apps are updated and keep your phone from getting slower over time, at least on devices that have been used for a while with lots of app installs and uninstalls.

Maybe there is some case, somehow, where this is not true but in general I'm pretty sure that having a phone with 1GB of RAM and not upgrading to Android 4.4 is a huge mistake. Even 4.3 is wise to do just because of the TRIM support. My phone was suffering there. I notice that improvement with faster app installs.

I can only speak for what I noticed on my own phone. Being an old computer guy from way back I tend to be anal about what we used to call TSR (terminate and stay resident) programs, and now apps. I like to keep on top of what's running on my phone, and before the upgrade I would hover around 175 to 200 meg free, after I noticed at least a 25 to 40% decrease in available ram. I attribute this to the extra motocare and qualcom services that now run. I think these offset any performance gained by the new OS. Once I froze the offending services I am back to a smoother running phone. The cosmetic stuff I will get used to. I read a post on a forum somewhere about a guy who was down to like 10meg free (!) and was having all kinds of issues until he got rid of some of his apps always running in the background. And this I think is the real problem for users like us with 1meg or less of ram.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really could not care less that some of my "stuff" used to be blue and now it's white.... what I am referring to is actually functionality issues that I know is not just an issue on my phone. My phone is bone stock and if I have three(3) downloaded apps I'd be surprised (WeatherBug, Flixster, Pandora, photobucket and aroundMe) Five.
Anyway... Screen flickers and dims, face terminated calls, text/call alerts that stay in the circle, skipping/faltering music, loss of prior functions that were valued by many, etc.
Not to mention - the forcing of all of this on the paying consumer with very little option to NOT take the "update".
The cell phone industry has manipulated it's way into our lives like few other technologies - it is expensive and the "can you hear me now" level of service has lagged IMO. If I had a choice (which I do not) I would throw mine out the window and never look back but.... Business dictates I MUST have a cell phone, where I function severly limits competition among carriers and Choice is practically non-existent (a condition ALL Americans should be uncomfortable with).

So anyway, is what it is. I just wish I could get a "phone" that works and keeps working and the level of outside "dickering" was non-existent.