2012 razr family update ot kitkat news 4/14/2014

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
UPDATE...I just checked "System Update" this morning in settings and I am currently in the process of getting KK. Check your phones for you who were getting error messages earlier in the week like I was. It looks like we have it!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums
Yes, you just need to be patient with these OTA. They do it in stages as to not overload the servers. I have always seemed to have had mine pushed to my phone in the early morning and it has always worked out well for me. Even though I had KK already I did a update check and was getting the same exact message you were about it not being available. They are just trying to get it out to everyone as best they can.

thecbass

Reaction score
So went and checked this morning and the update was available. Of course, first try failed. Gets to:

Installing Update...
Warning: No file_contextsValidating boot (source or target).
Verifying current system...
"/system/etc/install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.
Installation aborted.

This was after a factory/data reset from within Settings/Privacy. I just tried resetting again from recovery, and going to see if that works.

Anyone else getting this?

matbluvenger

Reaction score
It finally went through last night. Played with it a bit this morning before driving a few hundred miles.

PROS:
- Much faster... much much faster

- NO MUSIC SKIPPING! Ever since Google Play Music updated about a year ago I've been getting skippy playback, even on songs that were loaded on the device. It was especially bad when locking/unlocking the screen as well as when I was driving through areas in which my phone would have to search for signal. But the whole drive through central Nevada (usually littered with dead zones) went perfectly smooth.

- The new drop-down menu is pretty nifty.

CONS:

- No built-in Swype. But Google Keyboard does a great job. It'll just take a little bit of getting used to its nuances.

- Where did all of the widgets on the lock screen go? I've tried to get them back on based on what I read online but I've had no luck. I miss having the Messaging and Call selection. Not a huge deal, though.

- I'm bummed that the WIFI and network symbols no longer turn blue when connected, as well as the battery no longer going "Green > Yellow > Red." Again, not a big deal.

Overall I love the update. The pros are certainly more beneficial than the cons are detrimental.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I notice very little difference. Phone tastes the same.
About the only thing that was noticeable was the phone was laying on my passenger seat when it rang I almost drove off the road it was so loud.
How that was a change - I have no idea.
Text is different (bland)
icons that used to be blue aren't anymore.
Nothing "gee-whiz" that I can tell.
I do get a kick (as I always do) how the folks seem to be surprised when the dicker with their phone and when an OTA update comes that bricks their phone they scream like stuck pigs.

You'd think crossing the street and getting hit by a car would only need to happen once (if ever) before you'd pay closer attention but anyway.

Left alone - I have always found Motorolas to be really good at "being - a Phone".

pksopp

Reaction score
It finally went through last night. Played with it a bit this morning before driving a few hundred miles.

PROS:
- Much faster... much much faster

+1 - very noticeable improvement on time to open apps/load pages/exit apps! I should note I use lightning launcher, but i was using that before the update, as well.
Noticed my gmail notification by the LED turned to blue/white from green - i wonder if there will be a way to customize this without the battery-sucking LightFlow?

Hodor

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but so far, none of this sounds like it is worth loosing root for. Unfortunate that I did not unlock my phone when I rooted, but hindsight is always 20-20...

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly. If I had a modded (rooted) phone that I was happy with..... No Way. Stick with what you have. Why risk it? For what?

bigmikekul

Reaction score
If you were rooted before the OTA, and you thought you unrooted using Voodoo, and you started the OTA process, you got problems.

Very complicated instructions, but the only way to fix a borked install: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702

Here's what worked for me: backup with Titanium before OTA; factory reset; clean install using House of Moto; re-root; restore backup; House of Moto 'keep data' script; get 4.4.2. Lose root forever.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
If you were rooted before the OTA, and you thought you unrooted using Voodoo, and you started the OTA process, you got problems.

Very complicated instructions, but the only way to fix a borked install: [GUIDE] House of Moto - xda-developers

Here's what worked for me: backup with Titanium before OTA; factory reset; clean install using House of Moto; re-root; restore backup; House of Moto 'keep data' script; get 4.4.2. Lose root forever.

the link you are posting will work but this is the most current post with all the needed files and instructions.
How To: XT926 Upgrade to KitKat OTA - VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD General [XT926] - {Q&A, Discussion} - DroidRzr.com

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
The reality of today is, these little things used to be - just phones. It is now a "Hobby" for many. The Manufacturers obviously "get it" which is why new and better is always coming out and updates/upgrades are so eagerly hyped and awaited.
This (IMO) was just another over-hyped over promised/under delivered "blip" in the Hobby.
What Hobbiest isn't always looking to tweak there equipment or technique? Just look at Golf,Tennis,Running, Biking, Cars, Audio, etc. etc.
SmartPhones are no different. I take responsibility for allowing it to become a mini-hobby in my case, I do not care for being manipulated however which is what I think the hobby backend has started to resort to doing. "Updates" that take away features or simply tantalize the user into the next "upgrade".
How about just making the thing work better for once? Upgrades are going to happen no matter what with or without little games.
Just my $ .02 and worth every dime:blink:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Anybody know how to get this to work? I an trying it and I can't get boot loader to unlock.

are you:
-on kitkat 4.4.2
-how did you get to kk? ota, flash?
-confirmed rooted with towelroot
-how do you know its not unlocked?
-did you check the fastboot screen to see if it says "status code: 3"?
-are you using the app or script to unlock? app seems to be preferred (not saying the script wont work)