Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thumb200.jpg

Many of you may know that I was one of the final grandfather unlimited plan holdouts. For the past several years I have been clinging on to my 8 year old Alltel unlimited data plan. The plan included 500 shared minutes, free minutes nights and weekends, free minutes Verizon to Verizon, free minutes to 10 numbers that I chose, unlimited text messages, and unlimited (never throttled) data. This cost my family $199 per month for two lines, and I have been purchasing all cell phones at full price for the past several years.

Many of you have been asking if I would ever exchange my grandfathered unlimited for the new unlimited. I recently decided to take the plunge and sign up for the new unlimited data plan knowing that the plan only includes 22GB per month of guaranteed unthrottled data. My new for the plan ends up being about $160 per month which is a few dollars more than what I was paying for grandfathered unlimited prior to the recent price hikes.

I am enjoying unlimited minutes. In the past I would have to monitor my family's minutes use. There were several months where we would go over by a few minutes and have to pay overages. Now we talk to whoever we want for as long as we want without worrying. Of course we text as much as we always have. I decided to use as much data as I normally use this month without worrying about the 22GB cap. I am currently at 34GB with 12 days left in the billing cycle and have experienced zero throttling. The throttling only happens when you are on congested networks and for I have not experienced it. I am sure that I will eventually, but so far it has not been a problem. I will update you guys on this if it ever does become a problem.

The only minor issue that I did have in the beginning is that my sim card stopped working the moment I switched over and I had to go to the Verizon store to get a new sim card. They told me the one I had was not compatible with the new unlimited plan. I am intersted to know how many of you switched from the grandfathered unlimited plan to the new unlimited plan, and what your experiences have been.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks DMX! I think you answered the question that many of us have had about throttling. Right now I have 24gb shared data with four phones. The first few months on this plan, our data would last us for the month. The months that we ran out and had to rely on the safety mode throttled data, it was slower but barely noticeable. Now, for the past two months (since the new UL plan rolled out) we run out of data 10 days before our cycle ends and the throttled data in safety mode has been unbearably slow and almost unusable.

I have my suspicions as to why we are running out of data earlier than before and why the safety mode data is now ridiculously slow.

I'm still debating on whether to switch but I lose my corporate discount and the UL plan will cost me $20 more. Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
We're currently on the 8GB plan. Last month, for the first time, we almost didn't make it. That's totally my fault. Can't blame the wife.

Still, when I went through the process of pretending to sign up for the new UL plan, it was going to cost a lot more each month. I think we'd have to work our way up through the tiers before it'd be a good idea for us to move. Maybe when the kids are older, if/when we decide to add them to our plan. It remains to be seen whether my stepson's dad will put him on his plan, or we'll put him on ours, but I'm guessing we'll end up putting him on ours.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I switched to the new plan also. With 2 teenagers that had a hard time staying within our shared 16GB plan, it was worth the extra $10 to me. I have been trying to use as much as possible and am still only at 16GB used with 5 days remaining. My oldest daughter is at 20GB so I told her to keep using Pandora every day in her car and try to hit 22 and see what happens. Will post back here if her line does get throttled, but I doubt it will.

No issues on our end, I'm liking it so far and all 4 phones switched over with no issues. It did take the My Verizon app / widget a few days to refresh and catch up with the new plan but works good ever since.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I switched to the new plan also. With 2 teenagers that had a hard time staying within our shared 16GB plan, it was worth the extra $10 to me. I have been trying to use as much as possible and am still only at 16GB used with 5 days remaining. My oldest daughter is at 20GB so I told her to keep using Pandora every day in her car and try to hit 22 and see what happens. Will post back here if her libe does get throttled, but I doubt it will.

No issues on our end, I'm liking it so far and all 4 phones a over with no issues. It did take the My Verizon app / widget a few days to refresh and catch up with the new plan but works good ever since.

So, the throttling is by line? I was under the impression that, once the account used 22GB, it would be throttled. If it's per line, that's even better than this already seemingly OK deal is. You don't have to pay for the kids using a bunch of data with your speeds? Nice.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So, the throttling is by line? I was under the impression that, once the account used 22GB, it would be throttled. If it's per line, that's even better than this already seemingly OK deal is. You don't have to pay for the kids using a bunch of data with your speeds? Nice.
My understanding is that it's each line. Between the 4 of us we are way over 22 GB total. Verizon told me that the 22 GB limit applied to each individual line on the account, so I updated to the new plan. I hope they weren't misinformed when they told me that. Several users on here posted the same information.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I'll have to check my account, as I'm on an old 30 GB data plan, unlimited everything else. Did you call in to set up or go into the store?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'll have to check my account, as I'm on an old 30 GB data plan, unlimited everything else. Did you call in to set up or go into the store?

I changed my plan from their website. But I did call and talk to a rep and asked some questions first. They can do it over the phone, in a store or from their website.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Yep, I'll probably start a chat session online, see what the difference would be. I/we rarely use close to 30, but I don't use it like crazy at work...

Edit:
Changing to Unlimited now!

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do they still have a chat link on their site? All I get is the assistant and I am on phone a lot so would be easier.
I'm not sure, haven't seen it as an option in a while. But I haven't exactly looked for it either. I normally see the little Assistant window pop up all the time.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still on GULP. Because I make too much money and don't care and want to stick it to Big Red for being an overbearing data provider.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I was also one of those CLINGING to the original UDP! My wife gave hers up for a phone and went to a 6 Gig plan. Son was always on a 5 gig. It saved us about 14.00 a month doing it so that was a bonus. We will see how the throttle goes. Does anyone know how the 10 gig of tethering goes? Is there a way to see how much tether data you have used??

Chris

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally switched this weekend as well... The data widget and Verizon app updated almost instantly, I went through the entire process on my phone, saved 76 ish per month, AND kept my veteran/military discount... Hopefully they'll bring corporate discounts back for all of you that used to get one.

Saving money and having unlimited was worth it. I've been using about 20 - 30 gb for the past year so it made sense to me to finally switch.

I said a few years ago I was going to hold onto unlimited until they either brought it back or took it away, and if they took it away I was finding another provider. Glad I held out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Not sure if anyone here can clarify, 22GB Cap is per Line? Also Tethering is the Cap 10GB and is that per Line or the whole plan?