[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
I think the poster's (...momof9) point is that this Share Everything is supposed to "save the customer money." Doesn't look that way if monthly price goes UP from $225 to $275-300, potentially for less data to be shared. A case of less product for more money. I'll have to think about it, but I'm sure that 275 is MORE than 225.

Also, my choice is now to buy on Ebay or other options non-subsidy / full price from here on. I'll keep my grandfathered Unlimited data as long as possible, which is more important than unlimited talk/text to me anyway.

But one question: why will buying non-subsidy (full price) phones not alter your plans pricing downward to save on the monthly bill? As of now, there is no price difference in monthly bills on any of the plans when it comes to discounted versus non-discounted phone purchases.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Blacksheep427 said:
I think the poster's (...momof9) point is that this Share Everything is supposed to "save the customer money." Doesn't look that way if monthly price goes UP from $225 to $275-300, potentially for less data to be shared. A case of less product for more money. I'll have to think about it, but I'm sure that 275 is MORE than 225.

Also, my choice is now to buy on Ebay or other options non-subsidy / full price from here on. I'll keep my grandfathered Unlimited data as long as possible, which is more important than unlimited talk/text to me anyway.

But one question: why will buying non-subsidy (full price) phones not alter your plans pricing downward to save on the monthly bill? As of now, there is no price difference in monthly bills on any of the plans when it comes to discounted versus non-discounted phone purchases.

I will be buying full price. I'll just save the money each month I'll save by not being forced off my unlimited plan. I'll have the money for a new phone in a year and a half.

Imagine that. Someone saving money.

cdm369

Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
I will be buying full price. I'll just save the money each month I'll save by not being forced off my unlimited plan. I'll have the money for a new phone in a year and a half.

Imagine that. Someone saving money.

There may come a point in time when Verizon just decides unlimited is over reguardless. I would hate to buy a phone at full price then 1 month later.they totally snatch grandfathered unlimited away. And yes they can because technically after your 2 year agreement is up then you are month to month no contract. Just a thought.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
cdm369 said:
There may come a point in time when Verizon just decides unlimited is over reguardless. I would hate to buy a phone at full price then 1 month later.they totally snatch grandfathered unlimited away. And yes they can because technically after your 2 year agreement is up then you are month to month no contract. Just a thought.

We have always renewed our Verizon 2 year contracts. We have never had month to month. Perhaps they could prevent me from renewing my contract.

Hopefully by that time subsidies will have ended entirely and prices dropped. If not I'll switch. Until then I'll continue saving money every month.

cdm369

Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
We have always renewed our Verizon 2 year contracts. We have never had month to month. Perhaps they could prevent me from renewing my contract.

Hopefully by that time subsidies will have ended entirely and prices dropped. If not I'll switch. Until then I'll continue saving money every month.

When you purchase a phone at subsidy you entered a new contract.( price with 2 year agreement) Therefore if you don't purchase a subsidized phone you will become month to month.

nikecar

Reaction score
at that point, many people will reanalyze what they will do with VZW.

i know if in 2 yrs, the UD isn't available, then I'm a free agent and will gladly go to someone else that has better plans overall (txt, voice, data) compared to the price..

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
cdm369 said:
When you purchase a phone at subsidy you entered a new contract.( price with 2 year agreement) Therefore if you don't purchase a subsidized phone you will become month to month.

I guess I never paid attention. I always assumed it auto-renewed. And since I advance pay my bill a couple months-a year I never really noticed.

In either case if I get forced off I'll deal when I have to deal and hopefully things will have changed to my benefit.

cdm369

Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
I guess I never paid attention. I always assumed it auto-renewed. And since I advance pay my bill a couple months-a year I never really noticed.

In either case if I get forced off I'll deal when I have to deal and hopefully things will have changed to my benefit.

Maybe there will be better plans or other alternatives by then. Or maybe they will become more customer friendly....bahahahaha....

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
Today we got our verizon bill.... We are paying $237 (before taxes) 15% military discount on the call and unlimited texting and 1 line..... that is for 12gb data + unlimited for 4 phones and a basic phone..... On the shared plan it would be $190 for the phones alone then whatever data amount we would take.... for 10gb shared it would be $300.... I suppose 12gb would be $320.... I have no idea if we would get the military discount on any of that....

So for similar service, we would have to pay about $80 more a month..... do you know, we could get a pay as you go phone for $50/ month for unlimited everything......

We have been with Verizon for awhile, but if this is going to be how it goes (price increases) we may be getting out when our contracts end..... we just got my husband a new phone a few weeks ago.... but that is a ridiculous hike in rates.....

Now on our data usage.... none of us used over 1 gb.... I only used .33 gb last month on unlimited. But we do use our wifi all the time at home.... which we have a pretty fast connection and are only paying $70/ month for that..... crazy....

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
DroidMomof9 said:
Today we got our verizon bill.... We are paying $237 (before taxes) 15% military discount on the call and unlimited texting and 1 line..... that is for 12gb data + unlimited for 4 phones and a basic phone..... On the shared plan it would be $190 for the phones alone then whatever data amount we would take.... for 10gb shared it would be $300.... I suppose 12gb would be $320.... I have no idea if we would get the military discount on any of that....

So for similar service, we would have to pay about $80 more a month..... do you know, we could get a pay as you go phone for $50/ month for unlimited everything......

We have been with Verizon for awhile, but if this is going to be how it goes (price increases) we may be getting out when our contracts end..... we just got my husband a new phone a few weeks ago.... but that is a ridiculous hike in rates.....

Now on our data usage.... none of us used over 1 gb.... I only used .33 gb last month on unlimited. But we do use our wifi all the time at home.... which we have a pretty fast connection and are only paying $70/ month for that..... crazy....

Don't do 12gb do 4gb and your bill should go down with your discount.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
DroidMomof9 said:

My mistake I read that wrong.

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
lol... any gb plan would be more money.... we are only on 700 minutes a month.... we barely use 1/2 of our minutes.... but we do use about 3000 texts a month (so on unlimited).... so really unlimited calls would not do us very good....

TatDroid

Reaction score
Blacksheep427 said:

And my point was that whatever awesome promotional deal momo got to have 5 phones for $225 could not be matched at another company, either - or even at Verizon. If I had walked into Verizon a week ago (before Share Everything) and added up how much it would have cost me to have 5 phones on their tiered data plan it would also be more than $225/month.

Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples - standard plan to standard plan.

phant0omx

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm still confused. If I let my contract go month to month and a buy a new phone, not subsidized and without a new contract agreement, I would then still be able to keep unlimited? Or is unlimited just gone for good even if I do buy a new phone off contract?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
So far, if you buy a new phone full price (or get it on ebay or CL), then you go month to month when your contract expires and do not need to change your plan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums