Verizon Plans to Move to Tiered Data Pricing in Summer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-store.jpg

Without giving any specifics, Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo indicated at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom conference yesterday, that Verizon will move to "tiered" data plans for smartphones later this summer. They have not finalized any type of pricing structure yet. Mr. Shammo said, "We are still working on the models." When speaking about their current unlimited data plan, He elaborated, "Everyone knows that isn't long-term. We will move to tiered pricing in the mid-summer time frame."

The eventual tiered plans will probably include either capped speeds or capped download amounts or both. Shammo further described that during the time when Verizon trialed a $15 per month tiered data pricing plan late last year, it "stimulated activity."

It's important to note that anyone already on an unlimited data plan will be "grandfathered in"; however, whenever that person wants to upgrade their phone or plan in some way, they will get stuck with whatever the new pricing is. What do you guys think of this news?

Source: Android.net via BGR and Fiercewireless

kmcgill88

Reaction score
I figured it was only a matter of time. I think they cap speeds already for people with high useage. I have no evidence of course but they arnt dummies.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I hate having to pay attention to my data usage. I need unlimited plans.

I guess it will be nice to able to pay for high speed.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The price of buying a phone off-plan to keep my current unlimited data plan may work out in my favor. I think I'll keep using 3G unlimited until 4G is faster and more prevalent, I guess. But, that will ultimately be determined by their pricing.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do I think? It sucks. These types of things are counter culture. Think about the way phone and internet service has gone? Away from a pay as you go to a flat fee for unlimited use.

I will go to t-mobile if I have to.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on whether or not they will even continue to offer unlimited for a higher price or cut it out all together will be a huge thing. Esp for the next 2 years. If they will cut unlimited out all together then it's more beneficial (to me at least, maybe not everyone) to get on a plan soon and just upgrade your phone for cost, then to have to worry about if they went over and if they owe verizon 500$. Tiered pricing without unlimited would be a blow to even wanting a 4g phone in the first place.

They advertise hulu plus, and netflix apps that will be able to use over 4g, and also video calling. If they cap you at lets say 10GB, that would limit people who would use these functions as intended. Yes I know that not everyone wants to use these, then again i would question at that point if your not going to use any of that, then why would anyone even consider 4g in the first place.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The price of buying a phone off-plan to keep my current unlimited data plan may work out in my favor. I think I'll keep using 3G unlimited until 4G is faster and more prevalent, I guess. But, that will ultimately be determined by their pricing.

I am betting they will not allow a LTE device to be placed on a 3G grandfathered account.

sugarnova

Reaction score
My son and husband are on the 150MB plans. They primarily use wifi so it works for them. I'm not letting go of my unlimited plan, though! I do look forward to seeing what the new tiers are. I think 15 for 150 is pretty low, MB-wise. ATT has 200MB for that price. I think 150MB should be more like $10, 500 for $20 and so on.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's been stated that they don't plan to raise the price of 4g. I figure seeing as they will be changing to tiered soon, that will be their way of raising the price.

Rotas

Reaction score
As long as I can get my TB when it comes out, and be locked into the 29.99 price, I don't really care.

I will say if there is no unlimited, chances are after my contract I will be moving from Verizon.

lieblax

Reaction score
How exactly will they be "grandfathering in" the current unlimited members? I guess this isn't a huge deal for me, as I live on a campus with wifi all around, I'll just have to start using it more often

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
How exactly will they be "grandfathering in" the current unlimited members? I guess this isn't a huge deal for me, as I live on a campus with wifi all around, I'll just have to start using it more often

Well you won't be grandfathered in you will just be able to use your unlimited plan until the term of your contract expires.

lieblax

Reaction score

Well you won't be grandfathered in you will just be able to use your unlimited plan until the term of your contract expires.

oh ok thank you that's good to know

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

Actually, you'll be allowed to continue to use your "unlimited" data plan even after your contract expires. However, after that, if you ever try to change anything about your plan or take advantage of introductory phone pricing you'll have to move to their updated tier plans.

That's how I understand it.