Verizon Preps for Tiered Data Plans and New Family Plans (Maybe This Summer)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised it was a matter of when and not if. They were experincing an increase in smart phone users and majority android. They know they could not keep people from using tethering apps because basically it would cost them more hunting people down. Tier plans basically is cost effective for thrm in the long run. Hopefully they have some plans that are reasonable.

Actually they have gone after people who tether. Just ask @ P3droid too.... one of his frindes got cut off with no warning....

This move isn't about the ever so popular tether.. it is about $$ and what VZW can make. Good for me since 2GB would be more than enough. Since i'm always in wifi areas unless im at the airport. Then I use my Xoom anyways :icon_ banana:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
For what its worth Verizon has had tiered data plans before and kept unlimited as an option.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

But at what cost? How long ago was that?

It was less then a year ago. Verizon still has a tiered pricing option for their feature phones.

Featured
Pay as you go $1.99/MB
75MB for $10
Unlimited $29.99

Before they had I believe 150MB option for like $15 or so.

Smart phones used to have the 150MB as an option but then vzw pulled it. Again this was less then a year ago.

Murker

Reaction score
This is definitely going to be a "wait and see" ordeal. Depending where you look, there's mention of:

Unlimited being available to customers that already had the plan.

Verizon still planning on having an unlimited plan available with the tiered pricing plans.

Verizon completely discontinuing unlimited data plans.

VZW execs have got to be loving the frenzy we are in lol.

On a personal note, I don't think the TB will be an option for me. It just seems like it has way too many issues. A coworker of mine was talking about the Charge he was waiting for to be sent to him, I may check that out and play with it.
I'll put it to better use anyway, since when I asked why he ordered that phone, he said, "because it's a 4g phone." When I asked what that meant, he had no clue, lol.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For what its worth Verizon has had tiered data plans before and kept unlimited as an option.

It was less then a year ago. Verizon still has a tiered pricing option for their feature phones.

Featured
Pay as you go $1.99/MB
75MB for $10
Unlimited $29.99

Smart phones used to have the 150MB as an option but then vzw pulled it. Again this was less then a year ago.

yes but those arent smart phones.......

Looks more like the tablet plans now...

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I have 2 smart phones @ 29.99 each, if they switch to a family style plan where phones share minutes, even if unlimited data goes up to 39.99, I still save $20 / month. I see this as a potential good thing unless the data limits are insanely low. With the release of the Netflix app which uses close to 1gig per move they need to keep data limits kind of high. Like 5gig for $10/month, 15gig for 20/month and unlimited for 30/month, all shared of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is definitely going to be a "wait and see" ordeal. Depending where you look, there's mention of:

Verizon still planning on having an unlimited plan available with the tiered pricing plans.

On a personal note, I don't think the TB will be an option for me. It just seems like it has way too many issues. A coworker of mine was talking about the Charge he was waiting for to be sent to him, I may check that out and play with it.
I'll put it to better use anyway, since when I asked why he ordered that phone, he said, "because it's a 4g phone." When I asked what that meant, he had no clue, lol.

Wasn't there a rumor about this being a summer special?

Featured
Pay as you go $1.99/MB
75MB for $10
Unlimited $29.99

yes but those arent smart phones.......

Looks more like the tablet plans now...

Yeah, but the point is that they have had tiered plans before (for both smart & feature).

Murker

Reaction score

Wasn't there a rumor about this being a summer special?

Which are you referring to? I know it's coming this summer, if that's what you meant.

If not, I mentioned different scenarios, which did you mean?

Reaction score
I heard a news report this week that Verizon is going to switch from unlimited plans to tiered plans. Los Angeles.

Isnt that the whole purpose of this post? Am i missing something?

Sent from my motorola star tac using DroidForums

sb1831

Reaction score
I have 2 smart phones @ 29.99 each, if they switch to a family style plan where phones share minutes, even if unlimited data goes up to 39.99, I still save $20 / month. I see this as a potential good thing unless the data limits are insanely low. With the release of the Netflix app which uses close to 1gig per move they need to keep data limits kind of high. Like 5gig for $10/month, 15gig for 20/month and unlimited for 30/month, all shared of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I posted something similar on the other page, and agree. This COULD save people money. I know plenty of people that have droids but don't use over 1Gb of data a month. 5GB of data shared between three phones for 50$ would be quite the deal. Not to mention if you've got kids you could always give your teen one and have an upgrade available at all times for relatively cheap.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted something similar on the other page, and agree. This COULD save people money. I know plenty of people that have droids but don't use over 1Gb of data a month. 5GB of data shared between three phones for 50$ would be quite the deal. Not to mention if you've got kids you could always give your teen one and have an upgrade available at all times for relatively cheap.

That's why I don't get all the vitriol for VZW on these boards. The few "anti-consumer" things they've done (i.e. elimination of 1-yr subsidies) affect a rather small percentage of users. Other things such as unlimited smartphone data have been pretty good deals.

Ignoring coverage and service, which is comparatively outstanding, the prices for me are quite competitive. I do very little texting, and my $70 plan ($40 for 450 minutes, $30 for data) is maybe $5 more than comparable plans, and when I upgrade to LTE it's better.

Just like all the idle threats over leaving VZW because of what they are doing with tethering. I mean, where else can you go that gives you unlimited & unthrottled data WITH tethering? Just comical. Mobile data is overpriced, but why single out VZW? And it's even more comical if you start comparing wifi at a hotel, airport or an airplane. It's an expensive luxury/convenience and certainly not intended as a replacement for home broadband, at least not until costs come down and capacity increases significantly to handle that load.