[Rumor] Verizon May Share Plan Changes on June 26; Family Data Sharing Plans Possible

sb1831

Reaction score
It does not matter what the norm is i bought this phone with ulim. Thats what i shoud get.i bought this phone on a 2 year so if i one day say well i dont want internet any more will they say fine go head and change it.ah no. Your numbers are suspect any way people on here all the time saying they use more.if you less fine i hope they make a plane but dont bag on the people who actually use their phone

Is that so????

Average U.S. Smartphone Data Usage Up 89% as Cost per MB Goes Down 46% | Nielsen Wire

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

darrick04

Reaction score
Let them switch, then they won't have enough coverage to come close needing "unlimited data"...

Yeah, I saw that....The average is all the way up to like 560megs per user? And consider that these people using 10gigs are using as much as 18 people.

Anyway, the free ride is coming to an end and it appears a good number of people are very upset about it.

Many millions will be switching to sprint lol

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let them switch, then they won't have enough coverage to come close needing "unlimited data"...

Yeah, I saw that....The average is all the way up to like 560megs per user? And consider that these people using 10gigs are using as much as 18 people.

Anyway, the free ride is coming to an end and it appears a good number of people are very upset about it.

My post was just tongue in cheek. No one is going to switch, ppl just like saying that for some reason. Idle threats from the whiners.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score

My post was just tongue in cheek. No one is going to switch, ppl just like saying that for some reason. Idle threats from the whiners.

I will switch if they cut off the unlimited I signed a contract for since they will have to break my contract per the TOS. As long as I can use as much as I want, I will stay. They know this, which is why they won't stop the unlimited train. dancedroid

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I will switch if they cut off the unlimited I signed a contract for since they will have to break my contract per the TOS. As long as I can use as much as I want, I will stay. They know this, which is why they won't stop the unlimited train. dancedroid
Where have you been reading they would be voiding existing contracts. If you read the messages, you're finding out that you want to lock into an unlimited data plan NOW, because once under contract, they will leave you alone. Once your contract is up and you upgrade to your next phone, then you'd have to switch over.

Remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. AT&T already introduced their tiered data pricing, Sprint is boasting they aren't doing tiered data (yet), but that doesn't mean they won't, and who knows if they can even stay solvent. T-M will probably become AT&T in the next year, leaving mostly regional carriers like Cricket that lease towers from the others. And, I can tell you for sure that AT&T and VZW will not lease towers to regional carriers that are the most popular. They save those for their own customers.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who knows, tiered family share pricing might actually benefit me since there's 4 smartphones on my account. I usually use about 4GB, my daughter about 5GB, my wife and son in law about 2GB each. Maybe overall it will be less depending on how much they will be charging each month.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I have already reupped all of my lines to keep unlimited data for two years. When they are up, I will go with whoever fits my needs at that time. I guarantee there will always be a major carrier that offers unlimited data.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have already reupped all of my lines to keep unlimited data for two years. When they are up, I will go with whoever fits my needs at that time. I guarantee there will always be a major carrier that offers unlimited data.
Well, I wish you the best. I already went through the big carriers so I'm curious which major carrier will you be going with that will continue to have unlimited data? I guess another question is, why do you need unlimited? I use Slacker, Pandora, watch some TV shows, HBO Go, and Netflix and I still don't go much over 5 or 6 GB in a month. How much do you use?

Last edited:

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I use roughly 8 gb per month with slingbox, xm, phonemypc and dropbox usage. I use about 300mb with tethering usage per month for when the power or internet goes out.

Drosul

Reaction score
I think most of you people that think this will somehow save you money, are absolutely deluding yourselves....

If 95% of the people using a data connection are only using a tiny amount of actual data (as in under 1 GB/Month), as all the studies claim, do you guys really think that VZW is going to move to a tiered pricing system that miraculously lets 95% of their customers decrease their bill?

They'll cap the top end, to stop tetherers/bittorent users, and maybe offer a higher tier to accommodate people who want to use/pay MORE, but you better believe that no big business is stupid enough to take all that revenue, throw it into a pile, and light a match just to make a bunch people who don't actually use the products they already are paying for can feel better about themselves. There is -zero- business incentive to give you guys a discount, because VZW already has you sheeple right where it wants you: Getting continually fleeced by making up the vast chunk of VZW's profit from data plans.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
if what I gathered from the nielson report is correct, these data caps are being implemented because data is costing the consumer less on a per megabyte used basis, but is costing the carrier the same while ramping up network load. I have my own theories on carrier greed though (how the hell can they justify charging somebody without a texting plan like 50 cents a text when TEXTS COST THE CARRIER ONE FIVE THOUSANDTH a cent to handle!!! but that aside....)

If you think this will save you money, awesome. As for the shared data, good luck hahaha I cant imagine that having 2 or 3 teenagers plus your wife using data shared as being cost effective.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think most of you people that think this will somehow save you money, are absolutely deluding yourselves....

If 95% of the people using a data connection are only using a tiny amount of actual data (as in under 1 GB/Month), as all the studies claim, do you guys really think that VZW is going to move to a tiered pricing system that miraculously lets 95% of their customers decrease their bill?

They'll cap the top end, to stop tetherers/bittorent users, and maybe offer a higher tier to accommodate people who want to use/pay MORE, but you better believe that no big business is stupid enough to take all that revenue, throw it into a pile, and light a match just to make a bunch people who don't actually use the products they already are paying for can feel better about themselves. There is -zero- business incentive to give you guys a discount, because VZW already has you sheeple right where it wants you: Getting continually fleeced by making up the vast chunk of VZW's profit from data plans.

I think you're looking at it completely wrong. Just because it has potential to save 95% of their customers, doesn't mean it's going too...that's the whole point of tiers.

On an individual tier, even if 95% of their customers choose the lowest tier, do you really believe that 95% of them are not going to go over? That suddenly 95% of their customers are going to start counting data religiously to make sure they don't go over? Absolutely not. 99% of those 95% probably don't even know you can do #3282 to figure out your current data usage. On an individual tier, let's say they offer $15 for 200MB. If you use 201MB you pay $30. Trust me, 95% of their customers are not going to maintain 200MB month in and month out perpetually. Of course the tiers are designed to bring VZW more money and not give discounts to 95% of their base...

Second, by lowering tiers, they entice more people to sign up at a $15 tier where they normally wouldn't at $30. And some of those people will go over too. And lastly, there are people who know they'll use more then 200MB and they'll buy the higher tier.

Not sure why you think VZW hasn't thought this stuff out. They're not just arbitrarily picking tiers and crossing their fingers hoping they dont lose 95% of their revenue. They will have no problem with margins.

All that being said, there will be people who save money, like me, because they never use a lot of data, are always on wifi or know how to monitor their usage. To say I'm deluding myself is silly. Last cycle, my line used 102MB. I've never used 1/2 a gig. I'm not worried about being pummelled with overages every month and will pick the lowest tier they offer.