Verizon's New Data Plans & Unlimited Grandfathered Reaffirmed in Training Doc Leak

jseah

Reaction score
If you return it, and wait (I think it was 14 or 15 days) from the time you return it, you are able to redo a purchase and wouldn't get hit with a fee and lose any discounts.

that was my rep's response my last upgrade cycle.

really? but if you wait like 30 days you would get hit with the fee or you cant do that?

no, you cannot wait that long.

I remember when I ahd the NE2 (and several coworkers) and the issue was brought up to our rep that if we get a phone and didn't like it and wnated to return, what would happen to the NE2. We had to wait about 2 weeks at least after return before we got a new phone, in order to have the NE2 reset and avoid the return fee. I believe once we returned them, it was about 15 days.

Verizon's return period is 14 days now. From what I recall, the specifics of the restocking fee when they first implemented it is that the $35 fee is charged if you return a phone and get another phone within 3 days. Don't know if they changed it to 15 days now.

eidolon

Reaction score
So I got my wife a Droid Charge today to lock her into the unlimited data, since she only had a feature phone. While there, I asked the Verizon rep about me being grandfathered in with my OG Droid, and she said that I would lose my unlimited data if I choose to upgrade my phone after 7/7.

She said if I used my OG Droid forever I'd probably keep unlimited data forever (within reason of course). But once I choose an upgrade (holding out for Galaxy S2) I would automatically be switched to tiered.

This seems like the opposite of everything I've read. :/

On a side note, she also told me the Bionic will be having it's name changed because of some of the negative press associated with the current name.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So I got my wife a Droid Charge today to lock her into the unlimited data, since she only had a feature phone. While there, I asked the Verizon rep about me being grandfathered in with my OG Droid, and she said that I would lose my unlimited data if I choose to upgrade my phone after 7/7.

She said if I used my OG Droid forever I'd probably keep unlimited data forever (within reason of course). But once I choose an upgrade (holding out for Galaxy S2) I would automatically be switched to tiered.

On a side note, she also told me the Bionic will be having it's name changed because of some of the negative press associated with the current name.

Let me start off by saying I've never ever had any issues with a vzw rep before. In store or online. They've always been nice and gone out of there way for me. I also have respect for them for their jobs.

But in situations like this I wouldn't trust anything they say till after 7/7. Not only do we have training guides and vzw intranet documentation to support this. We also have a handful of other reps saying the same exact thing. Ultimately we won't know till 7/7 rolls around what it really is.

The rep was just hoping to get you to buy another phone. I'm guess you spent $299 on the charge. She was hoping that you would also buy one to.

bplewis24

Reaction score

Was she at least hot? If she was hot, I may have kept talking to her. But it sucks when girls don't know anything they're talking about AND they're ugly. :(

Brandon

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

First rule of thumb, never, and I do mean NEVER, listen to the sales associates in the stores. Nine times out of ten, the information you find posted here will be more accurate than what they tell you.

Do you believe them when they tell you to install task killers?

Point made. ;)

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

First rule of thumb, never, and I do mean NEVER, listen to the sales associates in the stores. Nine times out of ten, the information you find posted here will be more accurate than what they tell you.

Do you believe them when they tell you to install task killers?

Point made. ;)

The reps at my local store are pretty up-to-date with their info. About two days after we found out Verizon was moving to tiered data, I went to my Verizon store and the rep already knew about being grandfathered into an unlimited plan if you already had a smartphone. But yes, I do agree that this place is probably more reliable and it's open 24/7 :)

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
And do you or do you not need a task killer? I've heard people say you don't but I hear it's still a good idea to get the Advanced Task Killer app.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
And do you or do you not need a task killer? I've heard people say you don't but I hear it's still a good idea to get the Advanced Task Killer app.

You really want more of a task manager over killer. Then you want to monitor apps on a CPU level over RAM. In addition one should really only open a task manager when you notice performance issues with an app and you want to stop it because it's hogging CPU or being very very naughty.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fast reboot app is good for on startup killing those stupid apps that always start on boot that you don't want to run...its good because it actually frees up the memory unlike most task managers
back on topic here- I asked people at my Verizon store and they also said yes, if you have a 3g unlimited smart phone data plan now you will be able to keep it when upgrading even to 4g. Mainly because they don't screw longtime customers over too much and basically always grandfather these type of changes in
I'm psyched now, I can't wait to upgrade to 4g phone and laugh at those that sign up late and won't get it

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Are there any apps you recommend I should get for it when I get my phone?

Amazon App Store- Free paid app EVERY day.
Car Finder
3rd party SMS app- Like Handsent or Go's. They offer a lot of great additions.
Dropbox- Flash drive on the go
DroidForums
Game Dev
SongID- Like Shazam, soundhound, or Verizons Song ID is actually great.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Thanks. I wrote those down.

Also if you like to shop at places that do price matching shop savvy is a must!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Samsung167

Reaction score
If you return it, and wait (I think it was 14 or 15 days) from the time you return it, you are able to redo a purchase and wouldn't get hit with a fee and lose any discounts.

that was my rep's response my last upgrade cycle.

really? but if you wait like 30 days you would get hit with the fee or you cant do that?

no, you cannot wait that long.

I remember when I ahd the NE2 (and several coworkers) and the issue was brought up to our rep that if we get a phone and didn't like it and wnated to return, what would happen to the NE2. We had to wait about 2 weeks at least after return before we got a new phone, in order to have the NE2 reset and avoid the return fee. I believe once we returned them, it was about 15 days.

So, how many times do you think you can return it.. if i get a phone wednesday july 6 or july 7 get the unlimited plane.. get a cheap smartphone then return it 14 days later then get another one and hopefully maybe the galaxy s2 will be out lOL but if not return that phone and and hopefully gs2 is out but if not then i can can just get the bionic since its suppose to come out august 4..