Verizon is Raising Prices on Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
A question for the people still on UDP that think that raising the price to $50 is a horrible idea...

If you were a customer paying $60 for 5GB or whatever the current pricing is... would you think the same? Would you think that you paying twice as much for a small data plan was good when your buddy was paying $30 for UDP?

Now if they were under a contract, that's one thing, but once those plans went away and they are under zero obligation to keep giving it to you... thoughts?
I would think that what my buddy is paying is completely irrelevant to what I'm paying as he probably got a better deal than me or did something I didn't do. I don't base my savings on what others are paying. I managed to get my internet to $45 a month for 12 months while my neighbor paid 97 for the exact same plan... I just tried harder. same with my dish, I went from paying 124 to 64.99 because I asked the right person while another friend of mine paid 112 or thereabouts.

so no, I would not think that way, the world isn't fair... get over it.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I hate to break it to you, but with that many lines you are going to be paying an arm and a leg no matter what. Even with T-Mobile your service charges would be $230 before devices with all having unlimited data, and if all of those smartphones were Galaxy S6 32GB you would be at $330ish before taxes. Your taxable amount would be lower than Verizon though, but that's without any phones. I assume you are saying you are paying $300 with just service charges and tax, correct?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes just service and taxes.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
And $10/1gb wasn't on the old plans? Remember this isn't just 1gb data for you and only you, it is a SHARED 1gb with anyone on your account. I personally believe that is a decent charge. They could have easily made it more.

Yes, even that is a bit high as well. I feel given today's technology, $5 per GB would be a bit more reasonable of a price. Shared or not.

I am the only person on my account so the shared aspect is moot for me...but regardless of sharing or not, I still feel more than $5 per GB is high in today's data-intense world. WiFi isn't everywhere, people are using streaming services more and more, navigation is a data HOG, etc.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I hate to break it to you, but with that many lines you are going to be paying an arm and a leg no matter what. Even with T-Mobile your service charges would be $230 before devices with all having unlimited data, and if all of those smartphones were Galaxy S6 32GB you would be at $330ish before taxes. Your taxable amount would be lower than Verizon though, but that's without any phones. I assume you are saying you are paying $300 with just service charges and tax, correct?

That is the reason that I went with Tmobile. 4 lines before all of the taxes, etc is $180 unlimited/unlimited/unlimited.

I flirted with the idea of getting a temporary Verizon line for the wife since they moved her building to an area where Tmo is struggling. She will be there for a year.

1 phone with 3GBs of data was going to be over $100. We have decided just to wait it out until her new building has finalized construction instead of getting the Verizon line.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I find this thread very "interesting" so many people feel that since they are being charged more they should "stick it to the man" and actively try to use more data.

Others a VERY GOOD example of how I wish the rest of society would act, own up and say "This is a service I use and enjoy so I have no issue paying another $20 a month"

Really $20 a month is 1 Starbucks cup a week.

It wasn't all that long ago cell phones only made calls. Not long before that we were paying BIG money per minute just for a call on a phone. Now everyone is so hung up on phones with data and constant access to the rest of the world.

I look back to when I had the unlimited plan and feel guilty for how I used it.

I'm not saying my phone isn't a HUGE part of my life but it is a service I pay for because I can't create it on my own. This puts me in a position to where I have to buy what is available and what fits my needs.

There is NO reason why everyone on here can not get by with a data plan of 4gb each month. Look at your usage and see how much of it is not needed to survive for the day..... Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, Snapchat, Instagram, Movie downloads, Pandora, Spotify.... All of those are not needed, they are luxuries that people feel they have to be connected to at all times.

Navigation does use a bunch of data but not all that long ago Tom Tom was the go to device for that and they can be had for less than $200 one time fee... I still have an old Garmin I use for long trips as I don't see the need to use my phone.... Not only that but I still carry an atlas with me and KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I'd be really really curious how many people here can actually read a road map.....

The more and more data everyone uses the further the price hike will go... if everyone took 2 months off and really really minimized data the prices could be tipped back in the consumers favor... But big companies see how DEPENDANT the country has become on data and they see they are in control and can do as they please.

Note 4tified

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I find this thread very "interesting" so many people feel that since they are being charged more they should "stick it to the man" and actively try to use more data.

Others a VERY GOOD example of how I wish the rest of society would act, own up and say "This is a service I use and enjoy so I have no issue paying another $20 a month"

It wasn't all that long ago cell phones only made calls. Not long before that we were paying BIG money per minute just for a call on a phone. Now everyone is so hung up on phones with data and constant access to the rest of the world.

I'm not saying my phone isn't a HUGE part of my life but it is a service I pay for because I can't create it on my own. This puts me in a position to where I have to buy what is available and what fits my needs.

There is NO reason why everyone on here can not get by with a data plan of 4gb each month. Look at your usage and see how much of it is not needed to survive for the day..... Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, Snapchat, Instagram, Movie downloads, Pandora, Spotify.... All of those are not needed, they are luxuries that people feel they have to be connected to at all times.

Navigation does use a bunch of data but not all that long ago Tom Tom was the go to device for that and they can be had for less than $200 one time fee... I still have an old Garmin I use for long trips as I don't see the need to use my phone.... Not only that but I still carry an atlas with me and KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I'd be really really curious how many people here can actually read a road map.....

The more and more data everyone uses the further the price hike will go... if everyone took 2 months off and really really minimized data the prices could be tipped back in the consumers favor... But big companies see how DEPENDANT the country has become on data and they see they are in control and can do as they please.

Note 4tified
my apologies for looking to be connected everywhere I go simply because I can. good thing I have an sd card (they're trying to phase those out so we'll be dependant on the cloud) or I'd use even more data. I don't want our need to carry an extra device for music, for navigation, for anything else because my phone can do it all.

if we all stopped using data nothing would happen. they wouldn't lower prices they wouldn't anything, they wouldn't care at all. they charge what they charge because they can get away with it.

they keep shoving data intense apps on us then penalize is for using too much data, it's a double edged sword for consumers that works in the corporations favor and they know it, so they do what a corporation does best, look out for it's bottom line, shareholders and capitalizes on potential.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
if we all stopped using data nothing would happen. they wouldn't lower prices they wouldn't anything, they wouldn't care at all. they charge what they charge because they can get away with it.
Exactly. Just like those "Don't buy gas on this date" events. It doesn't do anything because you'll either buy gas the day before or the day after or that week.

tattooguy21

Reaction score
my apologies for looking to be connected everywhere I go simply because I can. good thing I have an sd card (they're trying to phase those out so we'll be dependant on the cloud) or I'd use even more data. I don't want our need to carry an extra device for music, for navigation, for anything else because my phone can do it all.

they keep shoving data intense apps on us then penalize is for using too much data, it's a double edged sword for consumers that works in the corporations favor and they know it, so they do what a corporation does best, look out for it's bottom line, shareholders and capitalizes on potential.
This. You really believe that being a good "data Samaritan" will make Verizon it whoever say, "these customers are awesome. Let's keep rates where they are or charge less." I call bull larkey.

Edited by Ollie for language.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Which data intensive app was shoved on you?

I have Netflix and Youtube accounts, but I never use Netflix on my phone and I rarely use Youtube.

Those two apps are the only ones that I can think of that could burn the most data. The phones do not ship with data apps that you /have/ to use. You could turn your data off and survive just fine.

tattooguy21

Reaction score
Exactly. Just like those "Don't buy gas on this date" events. It doesn't do anything because you'll either buy gas the day before or the day after or that week.
The other issue is....days isn't a finite tangible resource. Yes, towers make it all better. But it's not like if we all said we'd go data free that month they would be like, "crap, we've got too much data on hand." They would just laugh at us, cause last I checked, use it or not, you pay the bill

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The other issue is....days isn't a finite tangible resource. Yes, towers make it all better. But it's not like if we all said we'd go data free that month they would be like, "crap, we've got too much days on hand." They would just laugh at us, cause last I checked, use it or not, you pay the bill

Correct. If the tower averages 2TB of data a month for instance and we don't use any, they win because they aren't paying for the data being used and we're paying them for the data plan.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
And you're paying too much. Other countries laugh at us. Murica!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Note 4tified
/end of thread

I wish I could like this 100 times.

bastosero

Reaction score
Sorry, this question might be off topic, but is the network down right now in a lot of places? I don't have data right now in my location (San Diego, CA area). I hope this problem doesn't happen too much too often if I'm going to end up paying $20 more a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.