Status
Not open for further replies.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-dusk-sign.jpg

Here's a story so hot you might get burned, and in fact, after you hear about it, you might feel burned. According to a report over on The Verge, Verizon plans to raise the price of their Grandfathered Unlimited plans by $20 USD per line. This new rate will apply starting in November. The specifics of the increase are that the monthly "grandfathered unlimited data plan" will go up by $20 per line to $49.99, and this is on top of what you pay for voice and text.

Furthermore, this new change will only impact customers who are out of contract, and once you go "month to month" the rate will then change to the new amount. Also, government and corporate accounts won't be included in the price increase. There is one tiny "upside" to this new change. Verizon will now let customers buy new smartphones through a monthly payment plan; whereas before, if you wanted to keep the grandfathered unlimited plan, you had to purchase the phone outright.

According to Big Red, just 1% of their customers are still on a a grandfathered unlimited plan, which is how they are justifying the move. Either way, it looks like they are doing their level best to kill it off, one way or the other. We knew that something like this would eventually come... it's actually only surprising that it took this long. Share your pain here.

Thanks for the tip, @dezymond!

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
When this happens, good bye Verizon, been with the company for over 15 years.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I may also have to consider switching companies sooner rather than later now. I have been with Verizon for near 10 years now. I think I am still in contract though, because I managed to upgrade my phone through the Best Buy website last year without them making me pick a new plan. Might be safe for about another year, now that I think about it.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I purchased my last phone and I know a co-worker who bought an IPhone 6 out of contract to keep his unlimited data . So I'm not happy at all, where's the class action lawsuit so I can sign up.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
We just got a new iPhone 6s in the family plan just to keep Verizon, was purchased 2 days ago too. Now they pull this card, that's a cheapshot, right in the gut.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Knew it was coming. I was just served my walking papers. Cya Verizon. I've been with you since 1997 back when you were called AirTouch.

shockracer

Reaction score
So they are trying to penalize those that are off contract? Didn't they just tout how they are doing away with contracts? Seems my SIM will make it to more MiFi devices!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I purchased my last phone and I know a co-worker who bought an IPhone 6 out of contract to keep his unlimited data . So I'm not happy at all, where's the class action lawsuit so I can sign up.

You're off contract, they can do whatever they want to your prices.

mikabl

Reaction score
Yep, saw this coming. My last contract ends 10/20 so I'll be at a T-Mobile store that evening. They are good in my area.

Any call for a lawsuit is useless, the majority of unlimited lines is off contract now, and a tiny portion of total number of lines as well.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
So they are trying to penalize those that are off contract? Didn't they just tout how they are doing away with contracts? Seems my SIM will make it to more MiFi devices!

They are penalizing people with unlimited data still and are trying to force their hands into getting off unlimited data.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They are penalizing people with unlimited data still and are trying to force their hands into getting off unlimited data.
They've finally got me I think. Would be paying way too much for our family plan once the price hike starts.

Wonder if AT&T would pay the etf on two other lines....

Status
Not open for further replies.