[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

TheWalkingDude

Reaction score
So far so good. Added a line, grabbed a RAZR MAXX at $299 with the lowest allowable tier of data and still have unlimited data on 2 lines. I will let you all know what happens when we swap ESN's/Phones. It just cant be that easy to find a upgrade loophole like that...just can't be

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
TheWalkingDude said:
In store RIGHT NOW listening to the CSR bee-bop and scat me into losing unlimited data. Dig it, here's the scene....

We have 3 lines now - 2 smartphones, 1 dumbphone. We want to add a new line to the account with the subsidized RAZR MAXX and then switch with one of our unlimited lines...just switch phones. Rep is saying we wont lose unlimited data at all. Matter of fact, three managers are saying we wont lose unlimited on any line by doing this.

We were just going to flat out buy the RAZR MAXX for the safety and security of not losing unlimited on the 2 lines, seemed easy and stress/confusion free. So much for that plan of attack

What do you all think?

This is my exact plan. I got 3 lines with only 1 with unlimited data. And an available upgrade right now. I can't see you losing unlimited by just switching phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

monkey_man

Reaction score
Thank you Rojo7905 for that wonderful piece of information! I hope those answers you've got should be implemented to all Verizon CSRs where they use verbatimly from their How to Handle Customers handbook :D. I feel relieved at how I don't feel bad for the phones that my parents are using. I have 3 basic phones in my plan, and with that statement, I'm glad that I still can upgrade theirs. Verizon are so cunning don't they :icon_ devil:?

"Transferring an upgrade will cause both lines involved to lose unlimited data (but it will not cause you to be moved to a share everything plan.)" Rojo7905.

Say :icon_ nono: to that transfer upgrades loophole for those who thought they can add Tiered Data phone in their line in hope to transfer upgrade it to their Unlimited data phone(s). Well unless you have basic phones to accompany your plan, it might still work. Nonetheless, that hole is tinier now.

TheWalkingDude

Reaction score
Adding a NEW line to an account and then switching phones with an unlimited preexisting line is still going to work, there isnt an upgrade or change in plan involved. I watched the RSR, actually stood right next to him, manipulate the account so we didnt lose our 2 unlimited lines. The new line shares our existing 1400 min blah-blah plan. After all that I was showed we still have unlimited and no changes.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you Rojo7905 for that wonderful piece of information! I hope those answers you've got should be implemented to all Verizon CSRs where they use verbatimly from their How to Handle Customers handbook :D. I feel relieved at how I don't feel bad for the phones that my parents are using. I have 3 basic phones in my plan, and with that statement, I'm glad that I still can upgrade theirs. Verizon are so cunning don't they :icon_ devil:?

"Transferring an upgrade will cause both lines involved to lose unlimited data (but it will not cause you to be moved to a share everything plan.)" Rojo7905.

Say :icon_ nono: to that transfer upgrades loophole for those who thought they can add Tiered Data phone in their line in hope to transfer upgrade it to their Unlimited data phone(s). Well unless you have basic phones to accompany your plan, it might still work. Nonetheless, that hole is tinier now.

That might not work...but the post above mine is what I always planned to do. Just upgrade a phone on a line that has tiered data, then switch that phone to my unlimited data line. I will personally know soon enough.

Last edited:

monkey_man

Reaction score
If I may clarify. Yes you can add $40 Minimum to your line for a tiered data phone. I don't challenge that whatsoever. What came to my mind tho is this (for my plan, I don't know if this will relate to you).

1. Who will use this extra smartphone just to save my arse of spending retail phone? An Individual phone is limited to 1 upgrade per ~2 years. In order to have this phone in my plan, I will spend $299 (phone) + $30 ( Upgrade Fee) + $720 ( accumulated amount of that phone to satisfy your contract with them). In total, this phone will cost me $1049. How much is the price of a retail phone? ~ $699. Why don't I purchase a retail phone and pay it using credit? ~ $60/ month wouldn't be so bad.

2. From what I understand based on Rojo, I may not use the availability upgrades on my Unlimited phones or I will lose it and move to tiered data/shared data. Hence, I am stuck to the transfer upgrades based on basic phones (this is why I mentioned it in my previous post) + that new line I created with Tiered data. This is an example: Before you have 2 Unlimited data smartphones with your plan, and June 28 rule makes you think twice about what to do. You ended up with adding Tiered data before the deadline. This tiered data phone is locked for 2 years that you may not upgrade with subsidize price till then. What's the use?

TheWalkingDude

Reaction score
I should mention that we NEEDED an added line anyway so it NEEDED to happen. Otherwise, of course I would have just paid $649 for the RAZR MAXX outright.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I should mention that we NEEDED an added line anyway so it NEEDED to happen. Otherwise, of course I would have just paid $649 for the RAZR MAXX outright.

Yea...I keep forgetting....I have 2 lines already with tiered data. The main line has unlimited data. I have an upgrade available right now on one of the tiered data lines. If I wait long enough before using the upgrade....the other line with tiered data will be ready for its upgrade 1 year later. Its 7-2013 for the other line with tiered data.

monkey_man

Reaction score
Perception... Perception.... :rofl2: sometimes can get so twisted... oh well... so far Verizon are weathering the changes well.

Rylvir

Reaction score
Would it be possible to transfer my upgrade to another Unlimited 3G Smartphone on my plan, use it to upgrade to the Razr Maxx and 2GB Tiered Data. Then when the Razr Maxx gets here, activate it in place of my current 3G Unlimited Smartphone and keep Unlimited on my line?

TheWalkingDude

Reaction score
FWIW, did the swap with my DX2 and RAZR MAXX today. No issues whatsoever, no loss of unlimited lines. I'm happy:)

Mike8016

Reaction score
Will i lose my unlimited data if get an insurance replacement on my phone?