Breaking News Verizon Is Finally Bringing Back Unlimited Data!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
unlimited-data-verizone.png

Yes you heard that right folks Verizon is finally bringing back Unlimited data. This is huge news for a guy that has held on to a grandfathered Altell plan for the past 5 years. Over the past few years I have seen a few price hikes to that plan bringing my total plan for two lines from $145 a few years ago to $199 now. My family normally uses about 80GB of data combined so going with a similar capped plan would have been much more expensive for us. We have just bit the bullet over the years and bought phones for the full cash price over the past several years to keep our precious plan.

To be honest I have been looking at plans from T-mobile and AT&T which have offered unlimited data for a while now, and it looks like these plans have been attractive enough for other users to jump ship. The only thing that has held me back had been Verizon's superior coverage. It looks like I will be able to stick with Verizon now. They will be offering single line plans for $85 which include "unlimited" data, and unlimited talk and text. Alternatively you can get a 4 line plan for $45 per line. It should be noted that Verizon specifies that their "unlimited" data is guaranteed to be unthrottled for the first 22GB. This is similar to the Unlimited data plan from AT&T. Once you hit 22GB in your cycle Verizon will throttle you on congested networks. It should also be noted that this new plan includes unlimited hotspot access.

I am still torn here. For about $29 per month extra my wife and I can each have truly unlimited data with absolutely no throttling (that is up to 200GB at which point Verizon will simply terminate my line). With my current grandfathered plan i have to hack my phone to get free wifi tethering otherwise Verizon has it blocked. My wife can easily get by on the 22GB limit, but I hit that within the 2nd week of the cycle. I feel like I might jump to this plan to save the money though. It seems like the smart thing to do. I know there are still some grandfathered unlimited folks around here. What are you going to do? Are you going to stick with your truly unlimited packager or will you jump to this new unlimited data. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to think that Verizon will dangle this carrot in front of customers like me, get me off my grandfathered unlimited plan, and thin rip this new unlimited plan away from me.

via Verizon

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I will check tomorrow to see what's cheaper for 3 lines and whether I have to wait out 2 more years for contracts to expire.

pchain

Reaction score
Seems like the market forced them in this direction of unlimited and they knew they have no choice to offer unlimited again or lose customers. I have the grandfathered UDP, and will probably change to the new UDP, and save a few bucks. I rarely go over 20GB anyhow.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Seems like the market forced them in this direction of unlimited and they knew they have no choice to offer unlimited again or lose customers. I have the grandfathered UDP, and will probably change to the new UDP, and save a few bucks. I rarely go over 20GB anyhow.
Yup I'm probably going to switch as well. this means I don't have to worry about getting tethering to work etc... hopefully it's a good deal, gonna read the fine print tomorrow.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
its about same price for me but my problem is i got locked into only 250 txt msg a month, didnt think about upping that before they locked you into not changing anything. but over the last year, the docs i work with all want to communicate on txt and i am hit with overages upto 20 bucks a month. But even though i only go over 20 gigs a month when im camping and using phone for video at those times, im gonna sit and see what people say about whether this is really a congested network or if they are going to make it a hard 22 gigs than throttle, and what that throttle is. If its 3g im fine with that if its 2g like tmobile than its unusable and truly not unlimited.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'll stick with my grandfathered UDP and will watch my Ps & Qs. I have no problem keeping it under 200gig so I'm not stuck with their 22gb phoney baloney. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

S7 Edge tap'n

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Being a grandfathered unlimited everything user, here is my take. Currently with taxes I think I'm just about $110. Going with the new plan I would be tempted to get a new phone. $80+30 same difference. Yes I don't need to here the rhetoric, currently I'm elated with my 2 or 3 year old phone. So much in fact I just purchased 2, one I dropped and cracked the screen un-boxing it.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
With my company discount, (new unlimited doesn't apply to discount) it will save me $24/month. Not sure it is worth it to give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan (for myself and my wife).

Last edited:

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Seems like the market forced them in this direction of unlimited and they knew they have no choice to offer unlimited again or lose customers.

Yup...guess the CEO's eating his words now. Didn't he persistently say they'd never bring back Unlimited?

mfloyd

Reaction score
Will definitely be looking into this tomorrow. I have four lines 2 unlimited out of contract and 2 2gig lines. Pay over $300 and that's with $20 per line discount on all data packages. May save $100 month with the new plan. I average 20-30gig a month so i believe i can adjust my usage a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Will definitely be looking into this tomorrow. I have four lines 2 unlimited out of contract and 2 2gig lines. Pay over $300 and that's with $20 per line discount on all data packages. May save $100 month with the new plan. I average 20-30gig a month so i believe i can adjust my usage a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This... It's exactly what I'm thinking.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I think I'm actually going to take the leap to the new plan. Historically I've had no issues staying under 20 GB per billing cycle, and this would save me nearly $50 per month. My wife and I will be reviewing everything tonight to make sure we wouldn't be shooting ourselves in the feet by letting go of our legacy unlimited plans. As of right now, however, I'm not seeing much of a downside.