AT&T Brings Back Unlimited Data Plans (with a Huge Catch)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife contacted them and there are decent offers for trade in credit. We would be trading in pretty decent phones... a Nexus 6, a Galaxy S 6 and a Note 4, all in excellent shape...

The only real downside is that if we needed to tether, we would also have to purchase a hotspot... The "unlimited" dilemma doesn't bother me too much because it is rare that we hit 15GB in data usage now, and that it between 5 people... We would be cutting it down to 4 people and have 22GB at LTE speed but still get moderately quick 3G after that with no overage fees...

As for those arguing about the definition of Unlimited... it means whatever their fine print says that it means... Not what you want it to mean. :)

alhadee12

Reaction score
Yeah, my wife contacted them and there are decent offers for trade in credit. We would be trading in pretty decent phones... a Nexus 6, a Galaxy S 6 and a Note 4, all in excellent shape...

The only real downside is that if we needed to tether, we would also have to purchase a hotspot... The "unlimited" dilemma doesn't bother me too much because it is rare that we hit 15GB in data usage now, and that it between 5 people... We would be cutting it down to 4 people and have 22GB at LTE speed but still get moderately quick 3G after that with no overage fees...

As for those arguing about the definition of Unlimited... it means whatever their fine print says that it means... Not what you want it to mean. :)
What did they say about the trade values? I was toldm $200 by an online rep and that I could get $300 for being a DTV customer and porting over my Verizon numbers. I would lose tethering and my hotspot also, which concerns me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
She was told that between the tradeon and being a U-Verse Internet and TV client we could get up to $500 total credit per line that we ported over, but I would want to confirm that at the store...

Only downside is that there are not really any phones out that are better than what we already have... My only real choices are a Note 5 or an iPhone 6S Plus... Not too much of an upgrade from a Nexus 6 or a GS6...

And of course the tethering thing, which I rarely need anyway, but would like to have when I do need it. Decisions decisions...

alhadee12

Reaction score
She was told that between the tradeon and being a U-Verse Internet and TV client we could get up to $500 total credit per line that we ported over, but I would want to confirm that at the store...

Only downside is that there are not really any phones out that are better than what we already have... My only real choices are a Note 5 or an iPhone 6S Plus... Not too much of an upgrade from a Nexus 6 or a GS6...

And of course the tethering thing, which I rarely need anyway, but would like to have when I do need it. Decisions decisions...
I agree with the phones, I need my hotspot because I work in the public school system and as a coach. Our Internet is horrible! I'm also finishing my masters online.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me, I guess I could go find that ATT LTE aircard my company sent me and use that for my laptop... I usually just tether, but they did provide me with that... haha

Which means that I would only really be losing it for my iPad... My laptop and of course my phone would be covered...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I hope Verizon jumps on this with Fios....that would be AMAZING!!!

from my sexy edge+
For those who live in an area with fios sure, what about those of us who have be zero anything Verizon except Verizon wireless.

Hopefully they'd work a deal with another company to offer it.

Actually the definition of unlimited is exactly what unlimited means... Their own fine print by ToS does not change the actual meaning of unlimited and if it wasn't unlimited they'd have to disclose that.

Throttling doesn't make it not unlimited, just changes the available speed and puts you in 3g...big deal you can still keep downloading without worrying about overages... That's what is important.

Also 3G is plenty fast to do most things... I used to play lotro while in yakima in the field on 3g prior to the release of 4g... So what if I can't stream 1080p of 4k... Still no overages.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, in the context of a contract, Unlimited means what they say it means, You are not signing the contract with Websters Dictionary or Wikipedia... LOL

They call it Unlimited, and in the sense that you can get as MUCH data as you want, it is accurate.

They apply Unlimited to the amount, and they spell it out that way in the fine print. It is accurate in that context that they are using it in.

You wish to apply it more broadly, which would be fine if you were the one writing the contract. haha

Anyway, enough semantics... It is still cheaper than the 15GB VZW plan that I am on, and gives more data at LTE and unlimited on 3G for less than I am paying today.

I just installed my LTE Aircard in my work laptop and it works fine, and it has a hotspot feature in it that I can use when I travel for work, and I don't have to pay that bill, so it looks like I am covered if I make the switch...

The only question becomes... iPhone 6S Plus or Note 5? Both seem like really nice phones... I don't root or install ROMs any more... neither have MicroSD slots... Both have some advantages... Tough call, I can't believe I am actually considering an iPhone... LOL

alhadee12

Reaction score
Well, in the context of a contract, Unlimited means what they say it means, You are not signing the contract with Websters Dictionary or Wikipedia... LOL

They call it Unlimited, and in the sense that you can get as MUCH data as you want, it is accurate.

They apply Unlimited to the amount, and they spell it out that way in the fine print. It is accurate in that context that they are using it in.

You wish to apply it more broadly, which would be fine if you were the one writing the contract. haha

Anyway, enough semantics... It is still cheaper than the 15GB VZW plan that I am on, and gives more data at LTE and unlimited on 3G for less than I am paying today.

I just installed my LTE Aircard in my work laptop and it works fine, and it has a hotspot feature in it that I can use when I travel for work, and I don't have to pay that bill, so it looks like I am covered if I make the switch...

The only question becomes... iPhone 6S Plus or Note 5? Both seem like really nice phones... I don't root or install ROMs any more... neither have MicroSD slots... Both have some advantages... Tough call, I can't believe I am actually considering an iPhone... LOL
I agree the unlimited issue is semantics. In my opinion if I don't have to pay for overages it's unlimited. Would I like 4G, yes. However, I prefer a consistent bill free from overages.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree the unlimited issue is semantics. In my opinion if I don't have to pay for overages it's unlimited. Would I like 4G, yes. However, I prefer a consistent bill free from overages.

Yeah, same here. I just tested my laptop aircard, and I get 50ms ping, 20mbit down and 21mbit up... Plenty of speed and I can use that for a hotspot, so switching to ATT would benefit me from both price and more data standpoints...

alhadee12

Reaction score
Yeah, same here. I just tested my laptop aircard, and I get 50ms ping, 20mbit down and 21mbit up... Plenty of speed and I can use that for a hotspot, so switching to ATT would benefit me from both price and more data standpoints...
It's a good deal if it meets your needs. I need my hotspot.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, in my case at least, I only NEED it for the laptop... The iPad is just a bonus, but there isn't anything that my iPad does that a phablet won't do, so I guess I will be ok...

alhadee12

Reaction score
Well, in my case at least, I only NEED it for the laptop... The iPad is just a bonus, but there isn't anything that my iPad does that a phablet won't do, so I guess I will be ok...
Sounds like a good deal for you. I wish I could say the same.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger. We ported 4 lines over. Getting $500 credit for each phone we traded in and ported over, for a total credit of $2,000. I went with the iPhone 6s Plus. The note 5 may have been a little step up in hardware from the Nexus 6, but it was a clear downgrade in software.. So the iPhone it is.

alhadee12

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger. We ported 4 lines over. Getting $500 credit for each phone we traded in and ported over, for a total credit of $2,000. I went with the iPhone 6s Plus. The note 5 may have been a little step up in hardware from the Nexus 6, but it was a clear downgrade in software.. So the iPhone it is.
Good deal, did you own your phones free and clear or were they on device payment plans?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk