AT&T Brings Back Unlimited Data Plans (with a Huge Catch)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-office-logo.jpg

During a time when most carriers are moving away from and eliminating their old unlimited data plans, AT&T is backtracking a bit. They just announced they are bringing back an unlimited 4G LTE data plan. There is a giant catch, however. You just knew their had to be, right?

The catch is, in order to get the unlimited data plan (which also includes unlimited voice and texting), you also have to subscribe to one of AT&T's TV packages. That's obviously no big deal for folks who already have Direct TV or AT&T's U-Verse, but will obviously leave a great many potential customers out in the cold.

If you are one of the folks who are able and willing to take this option, AT&T's new unlimited phone plan will cost $100 a month for the first phone added. Each new phone line adds $40, but if you have three phones on the plan, the fourth phone will cost you nothing.

There's one more caveat. AT&T is infamous for throttling, and this new plan is no exception. If you sign up for this unlimited plan, your data will be throttled (slowed down to 3G) during peak hours if you have exceeded a 22GB per month allowance. For all of the details, be sure to check out the full press release below.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that full AT&T presser on their new Unlimited Data Plan:

"AT&T INTRODUCES NEW UNLIMITED PLAN FOR AT&T WIRELESS AND DIRECTV SUBSCRIBERS

A family of four may now get unlimited video streaming, data, talk and text for $180 per month*

New York, Jan. 11, 2016 – AT&T1 is kicking off the New Year with a new unlimited wireless data offer for its new and existing TV subscribers who like watching their favorite videos and TV shows almost everywhere.2 Beginning tomorrow, new and existing AT&T consumer wireless customers who have or add AT&T DIRECTV® or AT&T U-Verse TV may get the new AT&T Unlimited Plan, offering customers more data to use for watching video, playing games and surfing the web on their mobile devices.3

The new AT&T Unlimited Plan includes unlimited data and unlimited talk and text. Customers can get the AT&T Unlimited Plan on a smartphone for $100 per month. Additional smartphones are $40 per month each, and a fourth smartphone can be added at no additional cost.*

The new AT&T Unlimited Plan is the first of many integrated video and mobility offers the company plans to announce in 2016. Also, AT&T plans to launch a wide-range of new video entertainment options later this year.

If you are a new or existing DIRECTV or U-Verse TV subscriber but not an AT&T wireless subscriber, for a limited time, you can receive $500 in credits when you switch to the AT&T Unlimited Plan with an eligible trade-in, and buy a smartphone on AT&T NextSM.4 And, if you are an AT&T wireless customer, but not a DIRECTV subscriber, you can add a TV package beginning at $19.99 per month for 12 months, with a 24 month agreement.5

“Our new unlimited plan is our best offer yet. It’s the perfect reward for our valued customers who like to take advantage of our integrated offers of TV and wireless services,” said Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobile and Business Solutions. “Video traffic continues to grow on our network as fast as ever because people enjoy viewing their favorite video content on their favorite devices.”

“We’ve got the content consumers want, we’re delivering it to the devices they want, and we’re making it as easy as ever for them to consume as much as they want,” he said. “And, they will get a high-quality video streaming experience from the start. No compromises in video quality.”

You can also add additional devices to the plan. For example, add a smartphone or tablet for $40 per month or $10 for a smart watch. If you don’t need unlimited data for your tablet, you can take advantage of our new 1 GB tablet plan for $10 per month, exclusively available for customers on the AT&T Unlimited Plan.6

AT&T Unlimited Plan customers also have the option to add unlimited talk and text, plus 1GB of data for mobile Internet roaming in Mexico.8

The AT&T Unlimited Plan may be available for a limited time to consumer wireless customers. Business customers are not eligible."

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree, at least it's something. Maybe if they get enough subscribers through this plan, they'll put together some sort of unlimited plan for users that don't subscribe to those services.

S5 tap'n

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's one more caveat. AT&T is infamous for throttling, and this new plan is no exception. If you sign up for this unlimited plan, your data will be throttled (slowed down to 3G) during peak hours if you have exceeded a 22GB per month allowance. For all of the details, be sure to check out the full press release below.

Then it really isn't "Unlimited" is it??
But' if you have a tiered plan and AT&T for TV, then this can get you a good plan.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Then it really isn't "Unlimited" is it??
But' if you have a tiered plan and AT&T for TV, then this can get you a good plan.
It's still unlimited. You can use as much data as you want. That's the definition of unlimited. It'll just be slower once you go beyond 22GB. You could still use 100+GB a month. It just won't be as fast.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's still unlimited. You can use as much data as you want. That's the definition of unlimited. It'll just be slower once you go beyond 22GB. You could still use 100+GB a month. It just won't be as fast.
Slower if you're past 22GB during peak times. Offpeak times are when?

Good deal if you have uverse or direct TV currently.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I had unlimited back during my 3G days and was able to stream just fine as long as I had a decent signal. Sure throttling always sucks, but unlimited is still unlimited. At least the option is there for those folks that meet the criteria.

S5 tap'n

Valvoline

Reaction score
i'm sure there'll be a clause that states they can cancel this unlimited data agreement whenever they deem necessary like when they change all the plans again, in order not to have to deal with the grandfathered unlimited data subscribers for the next decade, lol.
Good they're doing this for existing customers too, nit just new subscribers.Do wonder when peak hours are 8a-8p? lol

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
well verizon does have it's own TV service and internet service... it's just not available in my area at all. I doubt they'd do something like that.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then it's not unlimited. It's only unlimited when you don't throttle. If you throttle you have limited the availability of bandwidth. That means it's not unlimited. I can show you the math but if I limit you to 50% of the maximum transfer rate then you are now limited. You aren't blocked but you are not unlimited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Then it's not unlimited. It's only unlimited when you don't throttle. If you throttle you have limited the availability of bandwidth. That means it's not unlimited. I can show you the math but if I limit you to 50% of the maximum transfer rate then you are now limited. You aren't blocked but you are not unlimited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I disagree. The amount of data is still unlimited. The speed at which you can use that data may be limited, but colloquially, when someone says "unlimited data," they're not talking about the bandwidth, but the overall amount of data allowed to be used in a billing cycle.

Sure, slower speed means you may have a harder time using as much data as you would've at the faster speed because of the bandwidth bottle neck, but there's still no ceiling to the amount of data you can use. It'll just theoretically take you longer to use higher amounts.