Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
A question for the people still on UDP that think that raising the price to $50 is a horrible idea...

If you were a customer paying $60 for 5GB or whatever the current pricing is... would you think the same? Would you think that you paying twice as much for a small data plan was good when your buddy was paying $30 for UDP?

Now if they were under a contract, that's one thing, but once those plans went away and they are under zero obligation to keep giving it to you... thoughts?

No i wouldn't think differently, i would think that those had to jump through hoops , pay full price for phones have limited minutes and txt to continue to keep their unlimited. I dont think its unfair that some people have better discounts from their businesses than i do, although i had no idea about vet discounts, i have an 8% discount at my work and the vet is 15% so ill be applying ofr that soon, had no idea that was available until someone mentioned it here. I think everyone is getting screwed on data by all services.
As i said before those that have a feeling that us UD users should get screwed are small human beings period.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is getting UDP for a fraction of the price of what everyone else pays for a lot less data, getting screwed?

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
First off you must realize that it's not a fair world. If it was they everyone would get the same discount for services as the next person. I get 8% off which is only off my primary line on my account. that's a whooping $2.40 off. And yet I've seen people who posts they get 22% off and more.

It comes down to this for me If I stay with Verizon it will cost me 15% more then I'm currently paying and that is just in base payment not including any additional taxes the new cost will generate.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't really think it is a matter of fairness. I think that they got rid of the plans years ago, and I think that the problem is made a little worse by the amount of abuse over the years...

People think that because it is unlimited, that they can hook up their home PC's and their xbox and use the device for their home theater to stream Netflix and Hulu, and I don't think that that was ever in the spirit or intent of the plan. Everyone of course claims that they never do that, but we have all talked to people and read the posts of those that do.

To use 50-100GB of data on a phone a month, is overkill. Unless you are never home or at a job that has wifi or some other computer, and your entire day is spent just watching tv or streaming music nonstop rather than just play your own tunes... I mean, someone mentioned "need" earlier in the thread. The reality is that it is a smartphone. The only real NEED to it is the phone call, maybe work email, etc... The rest, while majorly convenient and cool, is a luxury. You could get through the day without Pandora or 5 hours of YouTube...

If they offer Unlimited and you can get it, go for it. If they still offered it I would be on it, trust me. But to expect to keep getting it years after it went away, and for the price to never change, is naive...

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't really think it is a matter of fairness. I think that they got rid of the plans years ago, and I think that the problem is made a little worse by the amount of abuse over the years...

People think that because it is unlimited, that they can hook up their home PC's and their xbox and use the device for their home theater to stream Netflix and Hulu, and I don't think that that was ever in the spirit or intent of the plan. Everyone of course claims that they never do that, but we have all talked to people and read the posts of those that do.

To use 50-100GB of data on a phone a month, is overkill. Unless you are never home or at a job that has wifi or some other computer, and your entire day is spent just watching tv or streaming music nonstop rather than just play your own tunes... I mean, someone mentioned "need" earlier in the thread. The reality is that it is a smartphone. The only real NEED to it is the phone call, maybe work email, etc... The rest, while majorly convenient and cool, is a luxury. You could get through the day without Pandora or 5 hours of YouTube...

If they offer Unlimited and you can get it, go for it. If they still offered it I would be on it, trust me. But to expect to keep getting it years after it went away, and for the price to never change, is naive...

So, in essence, your argument is that unlimited data really doesn't mean unlimited data? Ok.........

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score

Nobody is naive. We HAVE paid increased prices. We gave up subsidized phones and paid full price for phones.
As the rest of the world pays less for cell service and data, we pay more.

Verizon miscalculated when they bought out Vodaphone for the wireless and found that the revenue was not what they expected. Since then, they have tried every way possible to raise prices. Historically, Verizon has NEVER upped the price of existing users on ANY legacy plan. They rely on the people making changes and rolling off the plan. The same thing with promotions, etc. This time Verizon provided no incentive for UD users to get off the plan. So after more than a decade of leaving plan alone when they are off contract, they decided to change horses.

If they want me off UD, off me a reasonable rate for 10-15GB.
Just wait, those that got double data will be getting the increase soon.
It will be as soon as Verizon sees they can screw them too.

Once again, many of us were forced into unlimited plans when there was no data to consume. Verizon claimed that using WiFi would water down the smartphone experience. I asked for a pay as you go plan. They said not if I wanted a smart phone. I paid for unlimited for two years before even 3G was available. So yes, as a legacy user Verizon screwed me by forcing me to take unlimited data. Now that I can use data they want to charge me more. This isn't about fairness, it's about Verizon trying to squeeze users.

So while $20 per line has no effect on my life, that does not mean that I want to voluntarily pay more.

Edited.. Mod

If you had stayed wherever you were and not taken a subsidized phone you too would have UD.
I made a choice. Verizon said pay full price for phones and keep UD. I did that.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Status
Not open for further replies.