[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

kparks

Reaction score
Yngwie77 said:
Nope just the phones....do you know if that's true or not....if I chicken out and cancel my preorder does my account just stay the way it is now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yea it should.. i wouldn't tho I think they will like the phones and be happy I'm worried about ur daughter data usage tho.

Yngwie77

Reaction score
Wont be a problem....i'm going to switch her line and my wifes....wife very rarely uses hers....daughter is the same...just going to them assume each others phone number....then Daughter will have unlimited and wife the 2gb... that's the one benefit of the share plan....that 2GB plan would be able to draw from a bjgger data pool...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NoKz

Reaction score
Saturday I used my wife's upgrade to get a Razr Maxx for myself and gave her my Bionic. This got her off the DroidX and onto a 4G phone. The sales lady helping us tried talking me into a new plan. Once I shot her down and told her why I was doing it, she got pissed. She said "but you don't use much data". I said I didn't care.

I'm not going to pay same price for less. Her manager overheard her arguing with me until I said "I can take my business elsewhere if you'd like". He immediately sent her off and took over. He was a nice dude and didn't argue with me. I told him what I wanted, he did it. He said I was a smart man to be doing it before the switch.

Now we're both on unlimited 4G and happy. Until they throttle us......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

jseah

Reaction score
Both my sons have GSIII's on preorder. One blue, one white. Already ordered and received screen protectors and clear TPU cases from Amazon. They will be switching from a Thunderbolt and a Bionic. Neither one was willing to give up the GSIII to me and use my Rezound. :biggrin:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are a very generous mom/dad. I always get the latest and greatest whenever I have an upgrade and one of my three sons then inherit my hand me down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

ODuck

Reaction score
I just upgraded another one of my lines a few days ago so now I have 2 Razrs on unlimited but the lady tried make me feel bad when I told her how I use 16gb + a month am I bad person?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hail

Reaction score
ODuck said:
I just upgraded another one of my lines a few days ago so now I have 2 Razrs on unlimited but the lady tried make me feel bad when I told her how I use 16gb + a month am I bad person?

Yes ur a horrible person, ppl like you are the reason for tiered data plans ..... joking :)

Straight off my hip from the Maxx

Beka27

Reaction score

I can't say a Rep has ever tried to make me feel bad but I'm not using as much data as you. What did she say to you? :blink: Was she blaming you for tiered data or something?

cdm369

Reaction score
ODuck said:

Different people have different needs. People who use under 2 gigs a month will say its our fault (unlimited people) that Verizon is doing this. Call us data hogs...lol...If I used under 2 gigs I wouldn't have a smartphone. Not a bad person...its yours....use it.

cloudman7

Reaction score
It's not our fault we pay for unlimited so we can use all we want don't hate cause we get what we pay for and that's UNLIMITED HAHAHAHA. ha. LOL

rojo7905

Reaction score
I hope that this might clear up some of the confusion that is going on about unlimited data and the new share everything plans. This is a DM conversation that i had with a CSR on verizon support's twitter feed. What it boils down to is that upgrading a line with unlimited data with a subsidized phone will cause you to lose unlimited data. you will then choose from a tiered data plan (2GB for $30 for example). another line on your family share plan upgrading will not have an effect on the other lines in the plan. they will not take away everyones unlimited data (only the person taking the upgrade) or move you to a share everything plan. Transferring an upgrade will cause both lines involved to lose unlimited data (but it will not cause you to be moved to a share everything plan)

VZW: I would be glad to help. What questions can I answer for you?^JL

Me: I have 2 smartphones and 1 feature phone. If i upgrade the feature phone to a smartphone after the 28th what are my options?

VZW: If you upgrade after the 28th you would choose one of our tiered data plans. Did you want to change to a shareeverything plan?^JL

Me: no, that would cost me a lot more per month. if I use the upgrade from one of my existing smartphones with unlimited data to upgrade the feature phone, will i still be able to keep my unlimited data?

VZW: If you upgrade after the 28th and get a discount on the device you would change to a tiered data plan.^JL
VZW: I apologize after the 28th if you did an alt upgrade both lines would have to chose tiered data.^JL

VZW: ok, what about new customers? is the only option going to be share everything?

VZW: Yes, new customers after the 28th would choose from the share everything plans! ^JL

Also, this comes directly from VZW website:

I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

So please everyone do a little research before giving out advice like "make sure everyone in your family share plan buys a phone for full retail to keep your unlimited data". I hope that the person who got that advice sees this so that he doesnt spend a crap ton of money he didnt need to...

bigddyz

Reaction score
I was just told if I upgrade 1 of my 5 lines I will lose all 5 unlimited datas. Just bothers they push you to use netflix, pandora, Google music. My 4 year old uses more data than all of us. They just made craigslist one popular site to buy phones now I just went to Costco and upgraded so I can switch out if I choose to at least I have a 90 day loop hole

Not Sent from an iPhone

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
rojo7905 said:
I hope that this might clear up some of the confusion that is going on about unlimited data and the new share everything plans. This is a DM conversation that i had with a CSR on verizon support's twitter feed. What it boils down to is that upgrading a line with unlimited data with a subsidized phone will cause you to lose unlimited data. you will then choose from a tiered data plan (2GB for $30 for example). another line on your family share plan upgrading will not have an effect on the other lines in the plan. they will not take away everyones unlimited data (only the person taking the upgrade) or move you to a share everything plan. Transferring an upgrade will cause both lines involved to lose unlimited data (but it will not cause you to be moved to a share everything plan)

VZW: I would be glad to help. What questions can I answer for you?^JL

Me: I have 2 smartphones and 1 feature phone. If i upgrade the feature phone to a smartphone after the 28th what are my options?

VZW: If you upgrade after the 28th you would choose one of our tiered data plans. Did you want to change to a shareeverything plan?^JL

Me: no, that would cost me a lot more per month. if I use the upgrade from one of my existing smartphones with unlimited data to upgrade the feature phone, will i still be able to keep my unlimited data?

VZW: If you upgrade after the 28th and get a discount on the device you would change to a tiered data plan.^JL
VZW: I apologize after the 28th if you did an alt upgrade both lines would have to chose tiered data.^JL

VZW: ok, what about new customers? is the only option going to be share everything?

VZW: Yes, new customers after the 28th would choose from the share everything plans! ^JL

Also, this comes directly from VZW website:

I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

So please everyone do a little research before giving out advice like "make sure everyone in your family share plan buys a phone for full retail to keep your unlimited data". I hope that the person who got that advice sees this so that he doesnt spend a crap ton of money he didnt need to...

The problem is that you can ask these same exact questions to a different verizon cs rep and get completely different answers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

TheWalkingDude

Reaction score
In store RIGHT NOW listening to the CSR bee-bop and scat me into losing unlimited data. Dig it, here's the scene....

We have 3 lines now - 2 smartphones, 1 dumbphone. We want to add a new line to the account with the subsidized RAZR MAXX and then switch with one of our unlimited lines...just switch phones. Rep is saying we wont lose unlimited data at all. Matter of fact, three managers are saying we wont lose unlimited on any line by doing this.

We were just going to flat out buy the RAZR MAXX for the safety and security of not losing unlimited on the 2 lines, seemed easy and stress/confusion free. So much for that plan of attack

What do you all think?

Last edited:

nikecar

Reaction score
Different people have different needs. People who use under 2 gigs a month will say its our fault (unlimited people) that Verizon is doing this. Call us data hogs...lol...If I used under 2 gigs I wouldn't have a smartphone. Not a bad person...its yours....use it.
I blame the people that use under 2G too. If everyone used 4+ then the base would have been near that limit.Its all the old people that are using too little which causes VZW to say the majority doesn't use much.