[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

Yngwie77

Reaction score
Ok I think I finally made a decision....please give me opinions to let me know if you think i'm making the right one....I have a razr I just used an upgrade on...wife has an incredible that she had an upgrade on...daughter has a dumb phone but is ready to go to a smart phone and she has an upgrade in the back...so I have 2 smartphones and a dumb phone that will definitely be upgraded soon. Daughter wants an iPhone bad...I can't talk get out of it but I'd much rather wait until the iPhone 5 comes out....don't wanna upgrade her to a phone that will be outdated in a few months ( provided of course there us a Fall release)...
I was dead set on using the two upgrades now and keeping my unlimited but looking at it now...I use about 4 GB...wife uses maybe 1 and daughter is hard to predict because she will prob use her iPhone alot but mostly on wifi so she might not use that much data. I'm thinking now that we would probably stay under the 10 GB of shared data....that would enable me to wait to upgrade hers and wifes lines later when iPhone 5 comes out at subsidized prices....whew I know that was alot but this decision is killing me....if all three lines could be kept at unlimited I would but daughter going from dumb phone to smart phone would only give her 2GB and raise my bill about $20....thoughts? Am I doing the right thing in waiting and giving up my unlimited....i'm going to want a new phone every two years so upgrading 3 lines at retail price will kill me....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My opinion, I would get the upgrades now, keep your unlimited, get your daughter on the 2gb tiered. She can either get the iphone4 or the gs3 (I have a feeling she would love the gs3). My college age son thought he wanted an iphone because all his college f friends had iphone. He tried my android, got the rezound and now all his college friends want an android. If she does decide she really wants the iphone5, she can save up for it but I have a feeling she will be very very happy with the iphone 4 or the gs3.

After using your 2 upgrades now and getting your daughter on a 2gb data plan, you will have two years to see how her usage is and your family's usage and will be able to make a decision then whether to keep your current plan or go with the family share plan.

Essentially you will be giving yourself 2 years to have to make a decision rather than rushing one now and wishing you hadn't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Yngwie77

Reaction score
I took her to see both...actually she saw the nexus cause it was the closest thing they had....it amazed me how it put the iPhone to shame but she just doesn't see it ( she is only 12 so ill Cut her a break lol)....if she wanted the G3 I think id def get the upgrades now....uggh im confused again lol....damn you Verizon....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If she's 12 and really wants the iphone, then get her the iphone4. She may have to wait a very long time for the iphone5 because even the subsidized price will be costly for a few months at least.

Yngwie77

Reaction score
is tonight the last night to do it or is tomm the last day....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I believe today is the last day.

Yngwie77

Reaction score
I guess it comes down to me not wanting to upgrade her to a phone that I feel is actually a downgrade....no 4g...small screen...and knowing a much better one is probably coming in 3 months I hate to lock into 2 years....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Your other option would be to order the gs3 or iphone for your daughter, get her on the 2gb plan. You still have an upgrade left if you wanted to switch to the family share plan. This way it will give you some time to decide if you really want to go with the family share plan or stick with your current plan.

kparks

Reaction score
Yngwie77 said:
Ok I think I finally made a decision....please give me opinions to let me know if you think i'm making the right one....I have a razr I just used an upgrade on...wife has an incredible that she had an upgrade on...daughter has a dumb phone but is ready to go to a smart phone and she has an upgrade in the back...so I have 2 smartphones and a dumb phone that will definitely be upgraded soon. Daughter wants an iPhone bad...I can't talk get out of it but I'd much rather wait until the iPhone 5 comes out....don't wanna upgrade her to a phone that will be outdated in a few months ( provided of course there us a Fall release)...
I was dead set on using the two upgrades now and keeping my unlimited but looking at it now...I use about 4 GB...wife uses maybe 1 and daughter is hard to predict because she will prob use her iPhone alot but mostly on wifi so she might not use that much data. I'm thinking now that we would probably stay under the 10 GB of shared data....that would enable me to wait to upgrade hers and wifes lines later when iPhone 5 comes out at subsidized prices....whew I know that was alot but this decision is killing me....if all three lines could be kept at unlimited I would but daughter going from dumb phone to smart phone would only give her 2GB and raise my bill about $20....thoughts? Am I doing the right thing in waiting and giving up my unlimited....i'm going to want a new phone every two years so upgrading 3 lines at retail price will kill me....

The amount of data u use I would go with the family share 10gb it may be hard to lose ur unlimited but the money u will save upgrading phones will outweigh keeping unlimited data in ur case its not justified.. now if u 3 were using over 20gb every month I would say definitely keep it. or if just yourself were using over 10gb just on ur line.. And i also would wait for the iPhone 5

Yngwie77

Reaction score
Kparks I think i'm gonna go with waiting and going on the family share when iPhone 5 comes out...I know that's what she really wants but the iPhone 4 is so dated to me that I can't rush into an upgrade just to save unlimited that I really won't need anyway. I use 4 GB per month but that's because I don't pay attention and must times I use the 4g even when i'm in a wifi areas because most times its faster. If I consciously kept wifi on all the time if prob use 2GB max....and wife uses none lol...I tell at her cause she doesn't use her phone enough...she has a blackberry for work and uses that most times...lol...I should take her line away lol

monkey_man

Reaction score
I tired to convince my sister too about Android being better than Iphone... but she turned deaf ears on me :icon_ devil:. The only point I took from that is like all the girls are having a party with their barbie dolls (iPhone), but cuz barbie doll isn't your taste you give her Bob the Builder (Android phone) instead :D. I don't think age matters either :rofl2: as she's 20+ . For a girl, Share family data with both Unlimited talk and text will be very beneficial to have. Share family plan also give you more benefit than tiered data plan as you are current Verizon customer. You have the choice of paying $90 to Verizon for 2GB to each phones, or you have the choice to pay $90 for 8GB that can be shared upto 10 devices.

rpdonald

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
If she's 12 and really wants the iphone, then get her the iphone4. She may have to wait a very long time for the iphone5 because even the subsidized price will be costly for a few months at least.

You are going to give a top of the line device to a 12 year old? Wow.

down1plus2

Reaction score
Kparks I think i'm gonna go with waiting and going on the family share when iPhone 5 comes out...I know that's what she really wants but the iPhone 4 is so dated to me that I can't rush into an upgrade just to save unlimited that I really won't need anyway. I use 4 GB per month but that's because I don't pay attention and must times I use the 4g even when i'm in a wifi areas because most times its faster. If I consciously kept wifi on all the time if prob use 2GB max....and wife uses none lol...I tell at her cause she doesn't use her phone enough...she has a blackberry for work and uses that most times...lol...I should take her line away lol

I decided to do the same. I use about 4gb as well and that's because I'm to lazy to turn on wifi when I'm home. I will be saving money going to a tiered data plan. Eventually everyone is going to be forced out of unlimited anyway.