(updated 5-31) The SHIZ (ESE81 - Built from Source) **7 Theme Choices**

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score
i was wondering what if anyone was running a kernel. i want to put one in my droid just donr know witch one to go with.

I am using the Chevy 1.25MV 5 slot kernel that JRummy posted, I never ran a kernel above 1.0 before but figured I would try it. Phone is so much more responsive and it has been running cool as well, I do think my Droid runs better with SV/MV(standard/medium voltage) kernels than LV(low) kernels.

How is your battery life with that kernel? I want to try an SV or MV kernel, but I don't want to take a huge hit on my battery. I don't play on clocking over 1GHz, either.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had a couple of random reboots using the jdlfg 1GHz kernel, so I switched to the 800MHz P3Droid Kernel - which I've never had a problem with before - and just experienced another reboot. I've always used LV kernels and never had this problem.

@Rummy - do you think this is a kernel issue or could it possibly be specific to The Shiz? In my head, it only makes sense that it could be the kernel, but there are others here that are much more educated about the inner working of Android than myself.

I really love this ROM, probably my favorite that I've used thus far - blazing fast, good battery life, and so far none of the quirks that I've dealt with in others. The only thing that I miss from past ROMs is the battery percentage in the icon. Thanks for all the hard work!

Reaction score
Funnel Weaver, I say try downloading "BatteryTime Lite" free from the market. if u open it as a widget it will go up on I'd status bar with a % of ur battery life also if u pull down ur notification bar it'll tell u ur battery temp.

Jrummy, I don't meant to be a nuisance but it didn't work. I'm gonna wait till I get home an do a fresh install an rewipe everything cuz I'm having issues with the font in goodies, sending an receiving pic messages an my Facebook still doesn't sync. I'm not trying to be a pain I really like ur stuff that's why I'm trying to let u in on any problems, not just b****ing

OP
jrummy16

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Funnel Weaver, I say try downloading "BatteryTime Lite" free from the market. if u open it as a widget it will go up on I'd status bar with a % of ur battery life also if u pull down ur notification bar it'll tell u ur battery temp.

Jrummy, I don't meant to be a nuisance but it didn't work. I'm gonna wait till I get home an do a fresh install an rewipe everything cuz I'm having issues with the font in goodies, sending an receiving pic messages an my Facebook still doesn't sync. I'm not trying to be a pain I really like ur stuff that's why I'm trying to let u in on any problems, not just b****ing

No problem man. I would never be able to fix things if no one posted their issues. :)

OP
jrummy16

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i was wondering what if anyone was running a kernel. i want to put one in my droid just donr know witch one to go with.

I am using the Chevy 1.25MV 5 slot kernel that JRummy posted, I never ran a kernel above 1.0 before but figured I would try it. Phone is so much more responsive and it has been running cool as well, I do think my Droid runs better with SV/MV(standard/medium voltage) kernels than LV(low) kernels.

How is your battery life with that kernel? I want to try an SV or MV kernel, but I don't want to take a huge hit on my battery. I don't play on clocking over 1GHz, either.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had a couple of random reboots using the jdlfg 1GHz kernel, so I switched to the 800MHz P3Droid Kernel - which I've never had a problem with before - and just experienced another reboot. I've always used LV kernels and never had this problem.

@Rummy - do you think this is a kernel issue or could it possibly be specific to The Shiz? In my head, it only makes sense that it could be the kernel, but there are others here that are much more educated about the inner working of Android than myself.

I really love this ROM, probably my favorite that I've used thus far - blazing fast, good battery life, and so far none of the quirks that I've dealt with in others. The only thing that I miss from past ROMs is the battery percentage in the icon. Thanks for all the hard work!

My guess as to why you are having random reboots is your kernel, your oc speed and if you have jit enabled

Reaction score
I keep hearing about JIT. What is it and how do you know when it should be enabled or disabled and how do you know if its disabled or not?

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
FunnelWeaver I really can't say much about battery life, I am near a charger almost all the time if needbe. I can stream Pandora for 5+ hours with the speaker pretty loud, surf and text some while working outside and always have 40-50%+ left...battery life seems to be about the same with most ROM's I run.

Adrynalyne has a really good kernel as well he uses in the Total Chaos Rom, should have no problem running with The Shiz as they are both ESE81. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-chaos/38782-kernels-thread.html

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score

My guess as to why you are having random reboots is your kernel, your oc speed and if you have jit enabled

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. It's only rebooted once since I switched kernels, so we'll wait and see.

Would it be too much trouble for you to create a script/package to easily change the font to comfortaa? It's the default font in Nextheme; I love the Pink-life theme and I would really like to be able to use that font.

You can find it here: Comfortaa Font | dafont.com

Also, someone has already packaged this font for Android but from what I've read it hasn't been successfully installed. You can find that package here: NexFonts.zip

tampaboy1984

Reaction score
Could you add Apps2SD by any chance? Also whats the difference between The SHIZ and .8 Customizer?

OP
jrummy16

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Could you add Apps2SD by any chance? Also whats the difference between The SHIZ and .8 Customizer?

a2sd requires a lot of coding that I haven't even looked into. If you want a2sd check out 0.8 remix. It is based off cyanogenmod 5.0.7.1 and has all the features in cm wheras The Shiz is a rom built from aosp.

OP
jrummy16

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. It's only rebooted once since I switched kernels, so we'll wait and see.

Would it be too much trouble for you to create a script/package to easily change the font to comfortaa? It's the default font in Nextheme; I love the Pink-life theme and I would really like to be able to use that font.

Also, someone has already packaged this font for Android but from what I've read it hasn't been successfully installed. You can find that package here: NexFonts.zip

thanks for the suggestion.. think I will add it.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
What happened to the Chevy kernels? I am using the Chevy 1.25MV kernel right now and my phone runs cools and very fast.

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score

thanks for the suggestion.. think I will add it.

Sweet! Thanks!