The camera sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I've been playing with the camera now for 1/2 hour and have yet to get one decent picture. They are horribly pixelated, unfocused (even after I get green lines) and dark. :mad:

UPDATING THIS WITH NEW RESULTS WITH SAMPLE PICTURES
If you don't want to read the whole thread, this LINK is a good starting point now.

I AM COPYING THIS FROM MY POST ON PAGE 6 FOR THOSE THAT ARE READING THIS THREAD FOR THE FIRST TIME.
This was a more fair comparison I did after my original shoot on the first page.

Ok here is the real test... Taken using a lightbooth, resting the phones on a tripod.

I took 3 pics with the Droid. One each at 2mp, 3mp and 5mp. Then one shot with the Storm at 3.2mp. All using AUTO for every setting.

You MUST enlarge the photos by clicking on the header on each to see the real image.

Droid at 2mp

droid2m.jpg

Droid at 3mp

droid3m.jpg

Droid at 5m
droid5m.jpg

Storm at 3.2mp
storm2.jpg

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
I've been playing with the camera now for 1/2 hour and have yet to get one decent picture. They are horribly pixelated, unfocused (even after I get green lines) and dark. :mad:

I disagree I've seen many good pictures taken from it. Unless you expect it to take professional pictures then you may not like it but its good from what I have seen. I'm going to get mine in an hour and ill tell if I agree with you then

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
My Storm took WAAAAYYY better pics than this. WAY better. I will upload a couple I took with the Droid and post them here.

Dark-V

Reaction score
That looks like a damn good picture to me. being 5mp doesn't mean it's got the same optics as a regular camera. It's a cell phone camera...

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
That picture is awful! The camera made that pretty spring meadow you were taking a picture of look like the parking lot behind a building! :icon_eek:

Seriously, that is kind of typical for a cell phone camera. They don't have the room for all the fancy optics that a regular digital camera has.

teknotronik

Reaction score
The image looks bad at the full resolution..but..

The image looks bad at the full resolution..but who ever views a resolution that big.. It's called resize to a smaller resolution it will squeeze the pixels together and you wont even notice it....
-B

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't look bad when the photo is re-sized.. however the original photo is 2592x1936 and viewing at that res it looks pretty bad..

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I just went out and took the same shot with my Storm. However the clouds have moved in so the lighting is a little different. Seeing this shot now, I'll change my outlook to, "The camera is no great shakes" because the Storm image is only a little better.

Taken with the Storm

storm_test.jpg

Last edited:
OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
That picture is awful! The camera made that pretty spring meadow you were taking a picture of look like the parking lot behind a building! :icon_eek:

LOL

I know about cameras... my wife is a camera freak. You have to look at the image fullsize to see the issues.

Yes I can resize it down and massage in Photoshop to improve.

My memory of the pics taken with the Storm was obviously skewed as my test image taken just now proved to be less that awesomeness.

Jason

Reaction score

Seriously, that is kind of typical for a cell phone camera. They don't have the room for all the fancy optics that a regular digital camera has.

agreed. I'll take that quality any day. If you want a the best pictures get a Camera

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Ok here are both pics tweaked... sized the same and mind you I work in PS for a living.

First the sized/edited Droid shot

droid_test_edited.jpg

Taken with the Storm
storm_test_edited.jpg

See all the color noise in the cars on the Droid shot?

GRANTED... I need to do a lot of playing with the camera to see what can be tweaked but I wanted a fair "pull it out of the box and take a pic" comparison.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. I have taken about 10 pictures with my phone, all tests... close ups, and far aways. They all seem to work fine, the close-ups take an extra second but nothing bad. So far i'm happy with it, but if they want to improve it, ill let them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.