The camera sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

schreid

Reaction score
Looks like the camera has a high ISO. Is there an ISO adjustment in it(light/Dark). Higher ISO cause a grainy look.

turnerjoy

Reaction score
You really would need to take the same picture back to back to compare. Lighting is the most important part of photography, in the end photography is just recording light.

It seems in the first photo you are seeing the harsh I'm guessing pre-noon sun and then the cloud cover is diffusing the light giving the storm better colors.

I didn't do any pixel peeping but its possible that the Storm is "cheating" a bit more and doing some processing on the "unprocessed" image.

You can thank the long time Megapixel and chip size arms race for color noise. All other things being equal the more pixels you try to capture per area the more noise you will have.

Thankfully in some cases noise can be improved with firmware updates (as was the case with my beloved Sony A700).

turnerjoy

Reaction score
Ok I just enlarged the photos a bit and you are right that the noise in the shadow areas of the tree are pretty horrid on your droid shot, I'll have to investigate this soon when I'm on the monitor I use for photo stuff.

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I played with it a little more this weekend and it is having serious issues trying to focus. I am wondering if this is a hardware problem (although there are none of the clicking noises people have talked about) or if a software update can solve this.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
For a cell phone I'm liking it. I'll admit that my Storm did take the pics quicker and they appear to be a little nicer. It isn't a big enough differrence for me to hate this camera though and once the focus is fixed and speed is improved a bit I'll have no issues. I actually set mine to 3mp because I'll NEVER need 5mp on my phone lol I think it improved the speed a LITTLE.

jleachma

Reaction score
I can't complain, I didnt buy it for its camera. I mean I'm not upset my sony cybershot wont navigate me to the nearest gas station:laugh:

theduke211

Reaction score
Yeah camera needs work but luckily its all software and not hardware issues. It will be fixed soon.

windstrings

Reaction score
I've noticed that the viewfinder looks better if brightness on the global settings for the phone is turned from auto to off and the brightness it turned all the way up.

I think better pictures are taken when its more real to life through the viewfinder.

I have a dare and I've compared pictures from the samsung imagination and while the dare looks better through the viewfinder its actually not realistic as to what the eyes actually see and the droid is truer to life.

My friend bluetoothed a pic from his imagination to my droid and while his amoled looked just a tad more vivid on colors "again, non realistic to being there" the detail was WAY better on the droid as you could see things that were not even visible on the imagination.

All in all, I think some software upgrades will go a long way.
We have a good quality lens... thats the first step.

windstrings

Reaction score
Droid cameras image looks much more washed-out....

Agreed, but on the other hand I noticed it often looks more natural than pics from other cameras that give the nice fully saturated colors.

As you know, we all put polarizers on our lenses to make it look "better" than natural, but I do agree, there is a little too much while light that gets in the lens... not sure why, but again, a software issue.

Based on the clarity I see, I think we have the hardware nailed down.

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Well, unlike the picture ability, videos taken on the Droid seem to be of higher quality. I submit the below file taken through the windshield in a moving vehicle as proof!

Sample Video

You can right click and save as

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Droid cameras image looks much more washed-out....

This and the auto-focus problem are both most likely going to be addressed in the software update on the 11th of December. The hardware with the exception of a few people is just fine.

Russell

Reaction score
That video is awesome... I think if the video is that nice then the photo issue has to be software. Obviously the hardware can take that great video.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Yeah Im thinking my Storm took a little better pics and it was only 3.2. That doesnt bother me so much...what does bother me is the fact that the flash doesnt come on when you're in record mode. That storm's flash came on and acted like a light when you recorded in dark conditions. I miss that function....boy oh boy am I gonna miss that function.

vertical

Reaction score
2009-11-06%2010.28.08.jpg
Head to head, no retouch, no compression*EDIT* photo shootout between the Omnia and the Droid.

Inside lighting
SNC00086.jpg

Outside Lighting
SNC00085.jpg

***Scratch that... Photobucket compresses, and I didnt realize. These are 800X600 Sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.