SPRecovery Won't Allow Me to Install

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I am having a problem with installing with SPRecovery.

I discovered my problem the other evening when I tried to install the latest Ultimate Droid ROM.

I opened a tread on that forum as I thought that the problem was with the update file I download. (You can see the gory details Problem loading UD 2.0)

After some testing I believe that the problem I have is with SPRecovery itself. Thankfully, the backup and restore parts are functioning without a problem and I have a working phone, but I can't install anything.

When I try to install something (this is an example of a ROM) this is what I get:

--Wiping data...
Formatting DATA:...
Formatting CACHE...
Data wipe complete.

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

As I said, this example is from a ROM, but I get the same thing if I try to install a kernel too.

So, I am wondering if I will need to go all the way back to stock by flashing the MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf file with RSD and then rooting the phone again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

Edit:
I just tried flashing MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf with RSD (which is the first step in rooting the phone) and that didn't make any difference. I still can't install an update.zip file,

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is strange. I suggest the following:

Make sure there is only one ".zip" extension
Make sure there is only one "update.zip" on the SD card.
Make sure the rom download was not corrupt.
The install process should be
Install
allow update.zip installation
install/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)

Hope this is helpful

Mike

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe reseat the sdcard as well?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

I have verified that there is only one update.zip file on the sdcard (and it is called update.zip - no extra zip). The update.zip is for a ROM that I loaded in the past. The checksum of the file matches the saved version that I have on my computer, so I know that it isn't corrupt.

Same thing. Whatever is wrong it is only with the install part of SPRecovery. The nandroid backup/restore is working find. The mount options are all working as well too. Since I flashed the SPRecovery again with no change, that would point to the problem being with the file, but why would every update.zip file I use have the "same" problem. Really odd.

I'll try reseating the SD card next.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is very odd. Typically, SPR is very stable. What really puzzles me is that the install is the only issue. I've had the same error you posted above. For me, I downloaded the rom and renamed, wiped the data and cache then installed.

I still believe the issue is the file (rom) and not SPR. Just a hunch!

Mike

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
Try copying ALL data from your SDCard to your computer (back it up to a safe place) then format your SDCard (don't repartition it), then pop the data back on and try again.

SDCards get old and worn out over time, especially with higher use (limited read/write capabilities).

If this still fails, try another SDCard.

Pointman1968

Reaction score
Pointman1968

I am having the same problem. I get an error also when I try to mount the sdcard. I was trying to put frg22 back on. I will try the reformatting of the sd card.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why is giving you the error the OS or recovery system?

xXx817xXx

Reaction score
I am having a problem with installing with SPRecovery.

I discovered my problem the other evening when I tried to install the latest Ultimate Droid ROM.

I opened a tread on that forum as I thought that the problem was with the update file I download. (You can see the gory details Problem loading UD 2.0)

After some testing I believe that the problem I have is with SPRecovery itself. Thankfully, the backup and restore parts are functioning without a problem and I have a working phone, but I can't install anything.

When I try to install something (this is an example of a ROM) this is what I get:

--Wiping data...
Formatting DATA:...
Formatting CACHE...
Data wipe complete.

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

As I said, this example is from a ROM, but I get the same thing if I try to install a kernel too.

So, I am wondering if I will need to go all the way back to stock by flashing the MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf file with RSD and then rooting the phone again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

Edit:
I just tried flashing MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf with RSD (which is the first step in rooting the phone) and that didn't make any difference. I still can't install an update.zip file,

I had the same problem, Try flashing clockwork and download the file on your phone. When it is done go In Rom manger, Press install ROM form SD card> Download(Not downloads with "S" at the end)> Then pick file> (optional wipe data or Backup).
Thats what I did to make it work

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can also try installing RM like the above post, flashing ClockWorkMod Recovery, then flashing Alternate Recovery (SPRecovery), and do it a few times until you are back at SPR. Then try the flash again.

You could also try using the RZRecovery (a step above the others in my opinion).