Droid Rooting Help Please!!!!!!!!!

OP
F

Foreverrr

Reaction score
I still can't get it to work, even after tallica walked me through everything. :\ He even sounded pretty amazed that it wouldn't work.

Somebody please help :(

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I got your pm.

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

We'll recap some things, so here's so questions, most likely ones you have already heard and answered, so bear with me ;)

1. When you reboot your phone and go into settings/about phone...what does it say for Android Version and Kernel Version?
  2. If your phone booted, was it because you restored? (asking because I think you wiped already)
  3. Download this file: http://www.mydroidfiles.com/downloads/P3D-FRF84B-Release.zip
  4. When you look at it on your computer, do you see the .zip at the end of the filename or not?
  5. change only this: P3D-FRF84B-Release to this update
  6. mount your card to the pc, copy the file to the root of the card.
  7. Advanced nanadroid backup, if you haven't (by now I am pretty sure you probably have, but I gotta say it;))
  8. try sprecovery again, as you have been doing.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry Chris, did not realize you were on board.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Foreverr, I understand that you were able to resolve. Is that correct?

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK what rom did you finally install? I believe you use SPR to install your current rom. Is that correct?

If so, you simply follow the same steps to change roms. Whenever you make any change to your Droid MAKE a BACKUP FIRST.

As for OC, typically each developer provides suggestions on which OC kernel to use. If the developer does not make a recommendation check Chevy's. Chevy's kernels seem to work well on every rom that I've installed.
Mike

OP
F

Foreverrr

Reaction score
step 1. download this http://bit.ly/9K09ZX

let me know when it's done downloading

I used that one, not sure what it was called exactly...and yes I did use SPRecovery.

Are there any themes that just change the notification bar to Black? I don't need anything special.

And what OC ROM would you suggest?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Foreverr, I understand that you were able to resolve. Is that correct?

Mike

Yes, now I just can't find a guide on how to install custom ROMS and over clock :\

Any tips?

If you visit the rom section here you can see what each rom has included in it, and most guides have screenshots too. A fair number of the roms come with overclockable kernels. Once you decide on a rom and have read through the install instructions feel free to post back in this thread again with any questions you might have. Or even prior to reading up on the various roms. We'll help you install whatever you like but tend not to make recommendations. If there are 10 roms out there, there will be ten people who choose each as their favorite. Pick one, then switch to another if you'd like. Its easy to switch from one to another.

OP
F

Foreverrr

Reaction score
and to do a backup that's just holding the x and power button to do a advanced nandroid backup, correct?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correct. I name them with the date. In your case it would be stock2.1_20090719

ss4.4_20090719, sap.8.4_20090719, bb, cyan, etc let me know what I installed and when in case I need to go back.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correct. I name them with the date. In your case it would be stock2.1_20090719

ss4.4_20090719, sap.8.4_20090719, bb, cyan, etc let me know what I installed and when in case I need to go back.

Thanks for all the help, christim and Mike, I've been helping him on gtalk for a while now.

He is all setup with bbv0.4 installed and he just found SG for 0.4 and is about to install.

Again thanks for the help.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good news! No reason for anyone to get stuck, plenty of help to go around!

My understanding is the issue turned out to be update.zip ending up as update.zip.zip for others having a similar problem.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks and good job, Tallica! You really stepped up by providing assistance to Foreverrr

Mike