Need some help rooting

azules9780

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting past the 1st 8 steps of the rooting process. Pathetic I know...

Anyway, on step 7 where he says run update.zip, I don't have that option. I have apply sdcard:update.zip and that is what I select.

And this is what I get

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Also, at no point does he even say to remove the USB cord while trying to go to the boot menu but I had to otherwise I couldn't pull up the proper menu.

Help me out please. it's 4 am and I wanna get this done before I go to sleep. Thanks in advance

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
Ok, so I made sure that I saved it in the proper menu location of I and only I. Not I/whatever, just I. I checked to make sure it wasn't update.zip.zip under properties of the file and it was not. However, I did notice that it wasn't update. anything at all so I changed it to update.zip and tried to root again, no bueno. help me out guys... if you're awake that is...

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
ok, so when I added the .zip I had hidden file extensions and Iaccidently made it update.zip.zip. I have gone back and fixed this issue. Still no good...

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
I tried again, I get the same error message as I got before and nothing. I tried to reboot from that menu anyway after it was done and my phone did eventually reboot but with some kind of weird force close thing going on. I hit "wait" and it continued to run look normal eevn though it said something about system process failure. I have no idea what I'm not doing right but clearly I'm screwing up somewhere somehow.

Also, the update file that I am saving and loading on my computer and phone are 10.1megs so it's close to what he said it should be. I'm wondering if the 10.1 and 10.6megs of information he says it should be is what I'm missing.

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
This is what i posted in the FAQ section thinking I was posting it here

So I screwed up and posted in the wrong section and I copied it to here hoping someone could help me.

Need some help rooting
I am having trouble getting past the 1st 8 steps of the rooting process. Pathetic I know...

Anyway, on step 7 where he says run update.zip, I don't have that option. I have apply sdcard:update.zip and that is what I select.

And this is what I get

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Also, at no point does he even say to remove the USB cord while trying to go to the boot menu but I had to otherwise I couldn't pull up the proper menu.

Help me out please. it's 4 am and I wanna get this done before I go to sleep. Thanks in advance

Ok, so I made sure that I saved it in the proper menu location of I and only I. Not I/whatever, just I. I checked to make sure it wasn't update.zip.zip under properties of the file and it was not. However, I did notice that it wasn't update. anything at all so I changed it to update.zip and tried to root again, no bueno. help me out guys... if you're awake that is...

ok, so when I added the .zip I had hidden file extensions and Iaccidently made it update.zip.zip. I have gone back and fixed this issue. Still no good...

I tried again, I get the same error message as I got before and nothing. I tried to reboot from that menu anyway after it was done and my phone did eventually reboot but with some kind of weird force close thing going on. I hit "wait" and it continued to run look normal eevn though it said something about system process failure. I have no idea what I'm not doing right but clearly I'm screwing up somewhere somehow.

Also, the update file that I am saving and loading on my computer and phone are 10.1megs so it's close to what he said it should be. I'm wondering if the 10.1 and 10.6megs of information he says it should be is what I'm missing.

Also, something else i noticed, as soon as I went to the recovery menu or whatever, before I try to do the update.zip, I get this:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
idk if i can be much help but are you running 2.1 or 2.0.1 and also what guide are you following(this will help anyone else who looks at this understand a little more)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Post some more details for us, I'm headed out for the day but it will let someone help you out. What directions? There are a few guides to rooting. You are on a motodroid too, right? (gotta ask because the milestone most likely would fail signature verifications unless something recently has changed). You may want to download the file again.

"on step 7 where he says" could be any step 7 somewhere. Include the link and help will be along....good luck!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just from what I've read you are on 2.1 and need to follow the guide in #1 of my sig. Let us know if that works for you.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That guide doesn't work if you're on stock 2.1. Follow the guiide in my sig, #1 and you'll get rooted.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
The thing I'm worried about with the one you linked is it has all kinds of stuff there and I don't really know what I need and don't need. One of the reasons I went with that one was because it basically lays it out for you. It's rooting for dummies especially since I have never done anything like this at all.

I'm not stupid, just a lack of knowledge with this kind of stuff and a fear of royally screwing something up because I don't know or accidently did something.

All I really wanna do is overclock and wifi tether. I don't really want or need anything else at this point but it could end up being like my car. Mildly modded at first and slowly but surely becoming a whole different kind of beast. It's addictive, LOL

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
ok, so I tried using that guide that jstafford1 has in his sig and somehow I am not doing something with rsdlite or the drivers or something isn't right. Anyway it goes, I can't get it to run properly, it doesn't give me the option to actually run it.

I don't know what I am doing wrong here but it isn't working for me.

Help please!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Follow the first option...get RSD Lite installed on your computer.
Install the drivers
Install rsd lite.
start/programs/rsd lite/ and it is running

Use one of the other options to do whatever you want to do next. Sounds like you want to install SPRecovery next, then just get ese80 (stock 2.1 rom) rooted.

If you are stuck and don't list the steps you performed, its hard to figure out where you got stuck. Read that entire thread to see where others got stuck, as that might help you too.

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
Man, I appreciate you looking at this but I spoke to jstafford in another thread and told him I already got it working. My apologies, but if you want to check out my thread on my issues with barnacle, that would be cool.

Thanks