Rooting now, Problem, please help.

Nibbz

Reaction score
Ok so I put the update.zip in the root of the sdcard. I named it right, when i checked its properties it was update.zip, not update.zip.zip. well I just wiped my phone and im trying to root now, so i hit install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) on sprrecovery and it says

"Finding update package
E: cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(no such file or directory)
E: Can't mount SDCARD: update.zip
Installation aborted."

What do I do now!?

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
ok so i just flashed back to 2.0.1 and it says:

SW Update
In Progress...

its been this way for a couple mins, how long does this take?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
flashing back to 2.0.1 takes a bit... if rsdlite finishes, and it's still saying "SW update..." then you can hit show device, but that's only happened to me once - i'd give it a bit and see if it reboots on its own

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
it finally rebooted, so i flashed back, then flashed SPRecovery, but i still cant install the update. same problem as before.. only this time when I go to reboot the phone, it just stays on the motorola M logo, wtf did I do!? how do I fix this? Please help, if you have good knowledge on how to fix my issue and root my phone, please perhaps give me your i.m. and we can do this step by step. i just wanna make sure i dont break my phone.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
are you trying to root 2.1 or do 2.2/Froyo?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
after you flashed 2.0.1, did you allow it time to download/install 2.1 over the air?

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
it rebooted to 2.0.1 then I went to turn it off and open it in recovery mode, then i believe i went into SPRecovery and tried again to load the update.zip but that still didnt work so i went to reboot and it just stayed on the M screen. Im currently flashing back to 2.0.1 to try again hopefully, it is in the middle of the SW update, anybody wanna guide me from here please?

versusxiii

Reaction score
Are you sure its called "update.zip"?

Sometimes the .zip can be there already, but Windows doesn't show it -- so in theory if you name the file "update.zip" yourself, it really could be called "update.zip.zip".

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
trust me i named the file right for the 3rd time... i can only state that so many times.

ok im back to 2.0.1 and it just asked to update. What do I do now to root my phone. Basically, I want to get to froyo

versusxiii

Reaction score
Not really sure, is the "update.zip" on the root of your SD card? In no folders at all?

If you have SPRecovery installed, you should just be able to reboot in to recovery and install the update.

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
i think i know what i did wrong and what i need to do now. i will report back in 10.