Premium Member
Reaction score
let it update to 2.1, then try the update.zip method again

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
let it update to 2.1, then try the update.zip method again

yeah thats what im trying now. i just flashed to 2.0.1 because after I flash ESRecovery on 2.0.1, my phone just stays on the M load up screen. but it just failed... trying again.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, you all seem like chickens running around with their heads cut off. :p

First, since there is no ESRecovery for the droid..., flash the 2.0.1 sbf to your phone again. Once it reboots update your phone to 2.1. Once your done with that go to this link here and do box option 02 and box option 04. This will get you rooted running 2.1.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Got to love christim's guide :D

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

First, since there is no ESRecovery for the droid..., flash the 2.0.1 sbf to your phone again. Once it reboots update your phone to 2.1. Once your done with that go to this link here and do box option 02 and box option 04. This will get you rooted running 2.1.

figured esrecovery was a typo, and it sounded like he was using the correct method already, but wasn't letting it update to 2.1 first

so, basically, that's what we told him to do... and since he wants to get to froyo, i don't think 02 and 04 will be much help ;)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

figured esrecovery was a typo, and it sounded like he was using the correct method already, but wasn't letting it update to 2.1 first

so, basically, that's what we told him to do... and since he wants to get to froyo, i don't think 02 and 04 will be much help ;)

02 gets him running SPRecovery and 04 gets him rooted. After that he can do whatever he pleases.

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
ok, im fine with just getting it rooted first. but i cant get there. im back to 2.1 but as i said, my first problem is still there, it wont install the update.zip

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok, im fine with just getting it rooted first. but i cant get there. im back to 2.1 but as i said, my first problem is still there, it wont install the update.zip

I don't know what update.zip you are talking about, but can you just follow the guide like I posted? I swear it will work for you.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

02 gets him running SPRecovery and 04 gets him rooted. After that he can do whatever he pleases.

but he doesn't need to do that if he already has the froyo update.zip and knows how to flash sprecovery right? i'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to keep it simple... but if i'm wrong i want to know!

edit: unless I'm assuming too much about his update.zip...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
but he doesn't need to do that if he already has the froyo update.zip and knows how to flash sprecovery right? i'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to keep it simple... but if i'm wrong i want to know!

That's true. The update.zip will root the phone. All he needs for froyo is SPRecovery. That's how I did it.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

That's true. The update.zip will root the phone. All he needs for froyo is SPRecovery. That's how I did it.

I just want him to use that already proven update.zip for ese81 since he is having trouble with the froyo .zip. If he still has problems then we can start to wondering what is wrong. :p

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
im using that guide. thats the guide i started with. please see my first post. that is the problem i had, and am continuing to have.

edit: im not using the froyo .zip im using the update.zip in that guide

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
have you made sure that it's named update.zip, and not update.zip.zip?

j/k :) sorry, couldn't resist...

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
have you made sure that it's named update.zip, and not update.zip.zip?

j/k :) sorry, couldn't resist...

yeah. ive been at this for over 2 hours. not funny.

its named correctly. its in the root of the sdcard folder. im starting to REALLY get sick and tired of the Droid startup screen where I have to enter my gmail. Why wont it work? I followed the guide exactly... im really getting frustrated now.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry, didn't meant to frustrate you more