Droid / Droix X Froyo Confirmation

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droidx-droid-froyo.jpg

For those that have been patiently awaiting the official release of Android 2.2 "Froyo" for the Motorola Droid, your wait is almost over! We have just received more confirmation that the release is just weeks away. The A-Bomb (Android 2.2) should be dropping sometime in late July. The Motorola Droid X will launch with Android 2.1, however an over-the-air Android 2.2 update is scheduled for late August, almost one month after the launch date.

soulpatch

Reaction score
I dont see why they woudl launch it for the current Droid before their new flagship product except to appease those of us with the droid who can not upgrade yet...

though for me thankfully I have the wife's line to upgrade...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reliable source yes.

Why give the update to the Moto Droid before the X launches? Because the Moto Droid finally gave VZW a leg to stand on against the iPhone. It changed the game.... No other Android device had done that. (G1 being on T-Mobile didn't have the backing like VZW can offer)

If anything... why launch the X and Droid 2 with anything but 2.2 already on it?

Darkseider

Reaction score
All that matter is this. By the end of August the Droid and Droid X will have Froyo. Knowing this one can deduce that the Droid 2 being the same guts as the Droid X will launch with Froyo. That means by the end of summer one can hope to see ALL Verizon Android handsets running Froyo. WOOT!

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Reliable source yes.
If anything... why launch the X and Droid 2 with anything but 2.2 already on it?

Probably because at time of manufacture moto's cooked 2.2 wasn't ready yet. They all left and are leaving the factory with 2.1 so they'll launch with it. I'd imagine the majority of stock is already produced.

My guess anyway.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reliable source yes.

Probably because at time of manufacture moto's cooked 2.2 wasn't ready yet. They all left and are leaving the factory with 2.1 so they'll launch with it. I'd imagine the majority of stock is already produced.

My guess anyway.
It was more of a rhetorical question really.... but you're on the right page :)

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well since on a NE2 contract, with the main line, you can upgrade once a year, when Verizon says they'll allow anyone whos contract ends in 2010 to upgrade to the X, that should allow people on a NE2 when they picked up the Droid between Nov-Dec 2009 to upgrade, correct?

dustin4863

Reaction score
Well since on a NE2 contract, with the main line, you can upgrade once a year, when Verizon says they'll allow anyone whos contract ends in 2010 to upgrade to the X, that should allow people on a NE2 when they picked up the Droid between Nov-Dec 2009 to upgrade, correct?
i would like to know the same i bought the droid on opening day